1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

You are [charname]

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Morthond, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Meh the CALCULATOR did it, what can I say! It's probably 18 but hey, if it gives me a 19 ima live with it!

I thought it to be pretty interesting because my intelligence score was pretty low, but Dex would have to be 17 AT LEAST. Cha is spot on though :D

And yesh, I am a superhero :D

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I think you're just lucky there's nothing in the FAQ that lists extreme self-delusion as plaque-worthy. :p :shake:

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    $S - I don't know you, so I suppose it's possible that you are a world class soccer player, gymnist, breakdancer and boxer. Are you thinking of going professional in any of these areas? You could become the next Bo Jackson. I can see the commercials now:

*Shows $S scoring an amazing goal while background voice says "$S knows soccer"
    [cuts to $S doing a triple twist dismount on the parallel bars] - Background voice: "$S knows gymnasitcs"
    [cuts to $S breakdancing at a club while the surrounding crowd goes wild] Background voice: "$S knows break dancing"
    [cuts to $S knocking out Lennox Lewis] Background voice: "$S knows boxing".
    Then it could fade out to a Nike or Rebok logo and you'll collect tons of endorsement money.

The only point I was making was according to 2nd ed rules, even if you were a world class athlete, as a human, you shouldn't be able to exceed 18. I would consider most professional soccer players have dexterities at or near 18, but none of them to have 19. It was more of pointing out a fault of the test than a fault of yours.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

AhhAHahAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol: Aldeth you make me laugh :D

Hehe although I do agree with you, as I'm only human (Thank GODDDDD) I wouldn't be able to achieve a score of over 18. Meh, we all know it's 18 anyway :D

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I don't think it's a fault of the test. After all, 19 is possible...if you're an elf.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Interesting test. It got me:

STR 9
    INT 15
    WIS 16
    DEX 13
    CON 15
    CHR 11

Meh. Not overly accurate if you ask me. If I were to rate myself, it would look more like this:

STR 13-14, merely my size allows me to overpower most people, and add to that that I do a lot of sports. I just suck at bench pressing. And arm wrestling. I guess it's using the same muscle groups. On the other hand, few have stronger legs than I do.
    INT 17. According to that IQ list someone posted earlier.
    WIS 11-12. Not much special here. That test merely merits common sense and rationality a lot.
    DEX 12. My hand-eye coordination is pretty good, but nothing special. I kind of suck at handling a football, but I'm pretty good at gymnastics and acrobatics.
    CON 15 seems about right. I do sport a lot, and most of that is endurance, so I should get a pretty good score here.
    CHA 10. Nothing special here. I can make contact with others easily, but rarely become close friends with anyone.

Some of the options of the test were... not so well thought out.
    Seems to me that this is more dependent on wisdom than on constitution.
    Ignoring the usage of double questionmarks, I wonder how they define 'full speed'. The way it is written (in capital letters, no less) it implies to me that you should run at top speed, i.e. sprint. Of course, no-one can sprint at top speed for 5 minutes (with the possible exception extreme endurance runners, who've got a very low top speed). Since the mentioned 'full speed' is obviously not equal to someone's top speed, the logical definition of 'full speed' would be the maximum speed one can maintain over five minutes. Thus, even the most untrained person would be able to fill in yes here, if that person can maintain a run/jog for 5 minutes.

... Yes, I nitpick about definitions, but laying so much emphasis on a vague definition ("FULL speed") just irks me.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I also thought that was a strange question, as my reasoning was like yours: Even a world class sprinter can't sprint at his best possible speed for a full five minutes.

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Or rather, especially a world class sprinter. Running for five 5 minutes moves you away from sprinting, well into the realm of endurance running.

9. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hah... and 9 is average you say...

STR 7 - Whole days of sitting before monitor don't help.
    INT 10 - Ugh. I did IQ tests twice in my life, one got me precisely 100 and the other 129. Let's make an average of these.
    WIS 14 - It now hits me, if Wisdom is common sense and logical thinking, why it's base stat for priests? Religion usually doesn't follow logic. Anyway, cold logic is definitely my thing.
    DEX 8 - See STR. I added a point just because of FPS' ;)
    CON 7 - See STR.
    CHR 9 - That's a weird one, even though I am generally anti-social by choice, I do have pretty high empathy(Ain't it a cursed gift). Let's say these balance out.

A total of 55. Hahaha, I'd not like to play as myself. What classes are available to me anyway?

Alingment. Neutral Evil. I was always an egoist and happy about it. Survival of the fittest, but with limits.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Two. You can be a cleric or mage. The cleric has only a 9 minimum requirement for wisdom, and the mage has only a minimum 9 requirement for intelligence. So really, you're going to have to settle for cleric, as a mage with a 9 in intelligence probably has a horrible % chance to learn a new spell.

11. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

An raging atheist cleric on a wheelchair ;) Thanks.

12. Felinoid

Sprinting at full speed for five minutes is possible, but it requires very high willpower (pushing past your limits) and a good constitution in order to not die. I said no to that one simply because I can't imagine a situation where I personally would find it necessary.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Umm I'm pretty sure there would be situations Fel ...

14. Felinoid

Yeah, life isn't that important. :p

15. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

From that test which Silverstar gave link on first page of the topic, I got following values:

STR 9, DEX 10, CON 13, INT 13, WIS 14, CHR 6

Strenght is too low I'd say. I'm able to carry at least 150 pounds, but on my back. Still, I think I have at least 10 points worth of strengt in my arms. Dexterity is pretty inaccurate, maybe a point or three too low. Constitution is too low, I definetly have at least 15 points there. Intelligence and wisdom are quite correct I dare say. Charizma is dead on spot, sadly :p Althought, I do have many friends, but I'm not the persuasive type, and I dare say I'm ugly.

So if I try to compose my own stats, it would look something like this:

STR 10(14 in carrying capacity)
    DEX 13
    CON 15
    INT 13
    WIS 14
    CHR 6

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    @ Mordokai:

Bear in mind that you have to be able to go all day with this on, as well as fight/run away from monsters.

Another thing to consider is that the test gave you average dexterity and slightly above average constitution. By boosting them, you are saying that you are above average Dexterity and considerably above average Constitution.

17. Fly2tHeSkY

Just take what you got from the test as your stats and don't change them.

18. henkie

Media:
    Although I appreciate the implicated sentiment of mind over matter, I do believe you're slightly out of touch with reality. I'll explain in numbers.

Assume you can do 100 meters in 12 seconds. This would be above average (I certainly never managed it), but nothing too special. Assuming you could maintain this same speed over 5 minutes, that would make the distance covered 2500 meters. That would be 30 km/h.

To place matters in perspective, the world record over 3000 meters (outdoor) is 7:20.67. This would result in an average velocity of 24.5 km/h. Very impressive speed.

Assuming constant velocity, the person in the first mentioned example would do 3000 meters in 6 minutes. This would be a remarkable feat indeed, improving the world record by 1m20s. Merely by willing it and having a good (not excellent) constitution...

19. Felinoid

In the world of athletics, I suppose not, but in the word of regular people, that's far above average. I was the fastest at a school of about 2000, and I could only do it in 15 seconds. (Surprised the coaches AND myself; I'd never run that fast before in my life, but it turns out I had a top gear a bit above what I expected.) Compare this new number (24 km/h), and you find that while it's right up there, it's not quite the world record perfomance you paint (not to mention that I've already said there's no situation where I'd do that), and it's still someone of above average speed.

And willpower is very important not to give in to your body's demands to stop and rest. After a few minutes of top speed, it'll be looking not so bad to slow down a little bit, particularly if you're already in first place. Because there's nothing really big riding on it. A trophy? A record? Meh. I guarantee you that world record would have been shattered by now if they gave those runners a real reason to run, like something deadly just behind them. Hallucinogenic drugs could take the sport to a whole new level. ;)

Also, something that's missing from this is the crossover between the question and its intent. To put it bluntly, that crossover is missing. Top speed varies with each person, but top speed in D&D (2e, anyway) is five times walking speed, and both are set numbers. (Note that I am not attempting to retroactively apply this to my previous post. I admit I wasn't thinking along these lines at the time, so it will have to stand as is.) Walking speed is 2.4 mph or 3.86 kph, making "top speed" 19.3 kph, which sets the bar even lower.

EDIT:
    Getting further into the rules, since I got curious, running at full speed for five minutes requires five separate and rather difficult checks. The first check is a STR check at -8 to get up to x5 speed. After that, each round you have to make a CON check with cumulative penalties in order to keep running. The checks in this instance are at -3, -6, -9, and -12. The check after the fifth minute (at -15) really doesn't matter since pass or fail, you've done five minutes by that point.

Technically, someone with a CON of 3 could get lucky with four 1s (1 in 160,000 chance), but this does seem to be a test of extreme CON, as juggling 4 or 5 ball showers seem to be measurements of extremity in DEX (worth a point each when I checked to see what my DEX would be if I later found out I actually could do that stuff), but it's still far from impossible. Assuming a ranger's minimum CON of 14 (and ignoring the STR check), we end up with a 0.55% chance of doing it. A maximum CON of 18 results in a 6.075% chance. But note that it asks only if you can, rather than if you can do it reliably. Even a 0.000625% chance is still a chance. And that chance, I believe, is a combination of willpower and luck.

[ September 14, 2006, 19:25: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I got the following from the test, which is pretty accurate. I think the wisdom may be a bit low and the constitution may be a bit high, but not by more than 1 point each.

Str: 11
    Int: 17
    Wis: 15
    Dex: 16
    Con: 15
    Cha: 13

I like those stats, though I'd probably be an elf which would make adjustments. Hmm, I'm thinking mage/cleric.

On some side notes:
    1.)Running full speed for 5 minutes is totally dependant on whether you are a good sprinter or endurance runner. The people that run marathons (and I mean run/jog, not walk) can almost certainly do it, but their top speed won't be what a sprinter's is.
    2.)Intelligence definitely needs to be improved on. At the very least, concider different types of degrees. A PsyD or PhD in psychology (needed to become a practicing psychologist in most states) is VERY different from a PhD in Physics, which is different from one in Engineering, which is different from one in Math, etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.