1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your favourite Dragon Age Origin?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Caradhras, Dec 31, 2009.

?

What is your favourite Dragon Age origin?

1. Dalish Elf

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Mage

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Human Noble

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. City Elf

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Dwarf Noble

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  6. Dwarf Commoner

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I don't see what the problem is if you actually liked them. It may seem artificial (I agree) but playing out the origins in a different way wouldn't bring much variety to the game (you can only play one origin at a time so it's not that big a deal).

The lack of variety in (some) sidequests annoys me more than the similarities you've underlined.

Exactly.

At least the game provides rather valid reasons for your character to join the Grey Wardens. Some of them are better than others but it's important to bear in mind that a CRPG (contrary to a pnp RPG) can only cope with so many options.

Taking another path would have meant playing another game altogether.

2. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Not true. In the mage origin, dwarf commoner and dalish elf origins, Duncan consrcipts you if you decide not to go along with Duncan. You literally don't have a choice; even if you thought you did.

My complaint isn't about going along with Duncan; it is that all the origins are more or less you die if you don't go along with Duncan other than the Mage origin if you betray Jowan's trust.

It doesn't take away from the game but it doesn't show some creativy by the story teller. I would rather have another options other than death or go with the GW.

3. Caradhras

Media:
    You can always exit the game. :D

Bear in mind that becoming a Grey Warden is what the game is about... Not playing along means skipping the whole game.

Let's face it, if you start a pen and paper campaign and the DM wants the player characters to be part of a group like the GW, the DM has many way to get them to be recruited. Still, if a player doesn't want to play along or plays a reluctant recruit the DM will have to get to an option like those you describe, i.e. enlist or die. If the DM doesn't then that character will be excluded from the campaign.

A DM affords more leeway to his players. A computer game is necessarily more limited.

At least the game allows your character to voice his or her disapproval regarding the Grey Wardens, Duncan and the Conscription (it doesn't mean much in the end but it helps with the RPG part of the CRPG).

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I don't mind that part of the game. What I don't like is how all but one origin it is become a GW or die scenario.

5. Caradhras

Media:
    Actually even if you follow Irving's orders Greagoir will want you to be punished.

Let's face it, in most origins you end up being rejected by society and considered to be an outlaw (that's clearly the case for both Dwarf origins, the City Elf and to a certain extent the Mage). Human Noble could even fall into this category as the attack forces the main character to leave the estate, the people and whatever possessions the Cousland had.

That only leaves the Dalish Elf origin, the Dalish Elf will still be considered as a hero by his or her people no matter what but the Darkspawn taint leaves the character little choice (either join the GW or die).
    (I liked the idea of the funeral actually, it was one of the best things in this origin IMO, brought home the sense of loss)

Take Daveth, Ser Jory and Alistair. Daveth was a cutpurse and Duncan saved him from the gallows (the life and death scenario). Ser Jory bested his adversaries in a tournament and gladly accepted the offer to join the GW. Alistair welcomed Duncan's offer because it allowed him to leave the Chantry and a life as a Templar for which he wasn't really suited (at least according to him). The main character finds himself or herself in a situation that has more in common with Daveth's situation (i.e. the life and death scenario).

So yes, it's always a choice between life and death (or something almost as unpleasant as death). You may find this idea heavy handed but I think BTA summed it quite well:

What is worse... to end up with a life or death scenario or to be denied the option to say "no" to Duncan? Bearing in mind of course that saying "no" to Duncan would be the same as going right for the end game credits before exiting the game.

In a pnp campaign a (good) GM or DM would have found a way to make this more subtle. For a CRPG I'd say this is inevitable (at least now, perhaps in the future a computers will be able to replace a game master and work out situations based on semi randomly pre-established scenario sequences -that would be cool but totally off-topic :p).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  6. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    This reminds me of one of Haer Dalis' dialogues when you first meet him. IIRC you had the option to insult him, ignore him, attack him or praise him. If you try to do anything other than praise him the dialogue loops and you're back to square one. Epic. :)

7. Caradhras

Media:
    I've replayed through the Human Noble origin (I had only played it once) and it's not that bad (with Improved Atmosphere) if you discard the fact that a certain female warrior follows you around.

Still, there is another thing that annoyed me:
    Do you remember the treasury? It is locked and you need your mother's key to open it so it's fair to assume that nobody has broken into it but the two guards inside the treasury are dead... How did they die? It seems rather unlikely that Howe's men got inside and managed to lock the door after killing these two guards.

8. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    In regards to your spoiler, I completely agree. I've wondered about that for some time now.

Btw, when you go into the treasury (noticed this when I was running around the castle exploring things before I met up with Ser Gilmore and had to get my mabari from the kitchens), take a look at one of the practice dummies near the door to your left. Get a very good look at where that sword is located. All I could think of was "Ow - wonder who they were thinking of that pissed them off so bad" lol.

9. Caradhras

Media:
    I guess that's all in the little things. I can't help thinking that the guys who beta tested the game weren't paying that much attention. The sort of details you mention are more visible when you zoom in (and since I play with a game pad -with Xpadder- I almost never zoom out). ;)

EDIT: replaying through the origins I've come to the conclusion that the City Elf is one of the most difficult origins game wise because your starting gear suck (especially if you don't go for a melee build, Dwarf Commoner would probably be quite difficult as well but those guards in the Arl's Palace were a handful for my last City Elf Rogue -that served me right for using mods that make the game more difficult I guess). Munchkin Blender posted in another thread that the Dalish get the best starting gear for Rogues and that is certainly the case.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

The Dwarf noble starts off with the best gear for warriors but is not able to use it after being convicted of killing your own brother.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    The most ridiculous gear wise is the Human Noble. Improved Atmosphere fixes that but Teyrn Cousland's second child is dressed like a commoner in the unmodded game. :rolleyes:

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Still my favorite origin is the mage. If you are lucky you can end up with some nice magical equipment early on.

In one of my games I got a nice cowel, belt, necklace, and staff before even leaving the tower. The only equipment that was inadequate for my mage was his robes.

13. Caradhras

Media:
    Most cowls look really bad though...

If you consider gear, the City Elf is not that cool though especially compared to the Dalish (the Dalish armour is a very good starting gear and the Dalish swords look really good).

14. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    For me that is still a selling point for the City elf over the Dalish-that the City elf is more built up by what your character can grab, put together, and basically acquire for him or herself as opposed to having starting weapons handed to him/her. More of a from the ground up hero building feeling.

15. Caradhras

Media:
    That's a good point. I was just stating that if you compare the starting gear the City Elf doesn't get any of the cool stuff. Of course it makes a lot of sense for a character living in the Alienage not to have some good equipment and there is the idea of having to use whatever you can find at this stage in the game (one of the rare occasions on which I've actually used a crossbow).

The City Elf gets the borrowed sword though... Does somebody know why Duncan carries around a spare sword that is anything but out of the ordinary? :p

I think the idea of building a hero "from the ground up" is very apt pplr. The only other origin that work that way is the Dwarf Commoner.

In the Dwarf Noble origin your character is a hero and a Dwarven Commander, in the Mage origin, the character is a... Mage and thus endowed with supernatural powers. In the Human Noble origin, the character is the scion of one of the most ancient families in the realm. In the Dalish origin, the character is the hero of his clan and its defender...

That leaves the City Elf and the Dwarf Commoner. The Dwarf Commoner is a duster, a common thug trying to survive. In the City Elf origin, despite his or her training the character is a nobody who seemed destined for a very ordinary life.

It's probably the less heroic starts in the game and that means that ultimately it can become the most heroic because rising from humble beginnings this character gets to look back at his past and see what a long way he or she's been travelling.

I wish they had included a Human Commoner, that would have been a great alternative. Don't forget that Loghain was a commoner who rose to the nobility because of his long fight against the Orlesians.

16. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I didn't get the hero thing with the Dalish origin; if anything you are one of the clan's hunter.

I like the Dwarf Commoner origin because you can rise above where you begin in life.

I have still yet to play the city elf. I first want to complete my current dwarf noble origin. After that I plan on playing a female human mage AW origin. After that it will be a human male noble origin. From there dalish elf than dwarf commoner and my final play through will be a elf commoner.

17. Caradhras

Media:
    You leave the best for the end then. It's not a bad thing, just make sure you don't read my evil thread (Dead Men Tell No Tales) it gives away most things about the City Elf origin (at least the evil way).

Regarding the Dalish origin I've only played it once but iirc the elder says something to your character before he or she leaves that lead me to assume that the main character was much more than just another hunter.

Perhaps someone can elaborate on this point (I may be wrong, it's been a while since I played a Dalish).

18. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    I think the reason why it's implied that your character is more than just another hunter (though remember, if you aren't a hunter or a provider in some other way such as a crafter or a keeper, you're considered a child still - think Cammen when you go to visit the Dalish) is because of who your parents are. They don't make much mention of your PC's mother other than she was so distraught over your father's death so she walked off after she birthed your PC. They do mention that your father had been the previous keeper before he was murdered, which in a way makes you a bit of 'royalty', I'd say, within your specific Dalish clan.

19. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Now that I played all the origins here is how I rate them... There all 1st and here is why.

Each one offers you a different perspective on the game and allows you to develop the story and character a to your liking for each specific origin.

You can be a stubborn or spoiled Noble Human; a noble dwarf who trust others or a backstabber/blackmailer that does what is in the best interest for the PC; you could be a mage that follows the orders of the circle or one who wishes to free the circle from the Chantry and do things outside of the cirlce order, etc...

I went back and looked over my previous answers they all can be junked. The fact is the game is very well written and provides us gamers hours and hours of enjoyment.

I have now played and completed DAO from beginning to end over 5 times; I have never ever did that with any other game, ever. This is now rated as my #1 favorite game. What is killing me with it is a lack of support from Bioware and EA for consoles.

20. Caradhras

Media:
    And the PC, there are some very annoying bugs on the PC with the latest patch.

By the way, you're right that origins can play differently. That is an important point and it can make a huge difference. For instance, I've tried a rotten city elf and at some points it was very different from my nicer city elf.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.