1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your first BG character/party

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Baronius, Jan 25, 2004.

1. The_Swordalizer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] For my first party i used a LG Cleric called Hugh Mungus :p

I tried to take Minsc but forgot about his quest and ended up having to hack him to pieces as i couldn't get to the gnolls without him attacking :(

I used Kirvan, Coran, Khalid, Jahiera and Xan (Go Xan!). it was a strangely despondent party with Khalid the leader going on about how he couldn't do anything, and Xan moaning "whats the point" at every click! I found Xan's lack of Evocation no problem though - he ended the game with 2 wands of fireball, 1 of monster summoning, 1 of lightning and 2 of fear! I found the lightning useless in BG1 as it always rebounded staight towards you...

2. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Wyvern hunting dude was Coran.

How come no one's mentioned Viconia or Safana?
    Seems to me that most people prefer to go through these types of games the first time with a good party for some reason.

I thought there would have been people that had expirience since before BGI but on the other hand BG was the game to Revive the entire series and open the flood gates, unfortunately more often then not the newer games seem to be abmysal failers (RoMD)

3. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Hector - Fighter
    Imoen
    Jaheira
    Khalid
    Viconia
    Xan

4. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] First time through at the moment. Protagonist Paladin with a fair roll, Imoen, Minsc (killed Dynaheir [how Paladin-like:p]), Khalid, Jaheira, Xan. Playing on D&D core rules, on the way to the Bandit Camp.

Long time BG2 player, decided to go and blow $20 Australian on the original. The original and the BEST!

5. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Playing BG first time? Good luck then, and have fun! I am sure you will like it at least as much as you like BGII.

6. Xerxes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Dont remember any exept that it had .... Xan! omg he is so lame...

7. Baronius

Yeah :lol: and you need relatively high charisma if you want him to join...
    If we don't count his low Constitution (and since low HP), he is not so bad mage after all. I played BG twice with him as a party member.

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Man, I hate Xan's attitude, it "offpissing" me to the very edge. The only good thing about him is his Moonblade, but I hate that it's not possible for somebody else to use it...
    After all; Xan = Jerk

9. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Started out as a male fighter with high proficiency in axes. Team was:

Imoen, Jaheria, Khalid, Xzar and Montaron.

But by the time I hit Naskel(sp?), and sometimes just outside the Friendly Arm Inn, Jaheria and Khalid fought and killed Xzar and Montaron.

So the rest of the game was:

Imoen, Jaheria, Khalid, Minsc and Dynahier.

BTW, Did anyone else take too long to get Dynahier and have to kill Minsc until they could get her? Man was that annoying.

10. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My first time was as a Thief. That lasted all of a few sessions. Once I had the feel of it, I switched to Ranger. I had, in my first party;
    ME
    Minsc
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Yeslik (the best NPC IMO)
    I think the drow mage chick, can't remember.

Later journeys included the Paladin and the Bard guys.

I just started up a new BG trip-same party planned as the first time, but as I understand the Ranger is a good addition. I like that little dude with the Purple portrait, too.

11. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wow! :eek:

The exact same thing happened to me my first game (A Paladin that I didn't finish and restarted after getting TotSC). Khalid kill both Xzar and Montaran right away. And I just arrived at the foot of Gnoll Fortress to save Dynaheir when Minsc went nutso! I went to the store the next day and got TotSC and decided to install and start clean so I could have Minsc and Dynaheir.

12. Baronius

Such things can be annoying indeed.
    When I first played the game, Edwin left my party after complaining for many days.
    With Eldoth, I managed to reach Skie, but it was not easy. He wanted to leave the team just after I arrived to BG. I used the following trick: Eldoth was walking relatively far from my protagonist, and when he started going into my hero's direction (to initiate dialog and leave the team), I clicked him and made him walk somewhere. He did not try to do the same for many minutes (meanwhile I was getting even nearer to Entar Silvershield Estate where Skie lived). I kept using this trick until it was needed.

13. Magic Snack Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My first PC was a half-elf fighter/druid. I thought this an inventive combination until I met Jahiera. :/
    I also had Khalid, Imoen, Kivan and Xan.

I don't think I got very far with this party. The second time through was much better. F/M, Imoen, Xan, Branwen, Minsc and Dynaheir.

14. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Dirty tactics, Baronius! ;)

My first party consisted of me (fighter!), Minsc, Kivan (yeah!), Branwen, Safana (mmmhhh) and Imoen (dualled to mage at level 5 I think). I didn't like magics back then, thought Edwin was an eccentric old useless whacko. The game was fun, but I didn't replay it since then, ever.

15. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

My first character was a Paladin named Aragorn. Ooh, real original I know. My party was me, Imoen, Viconia, Kivan, Minsc, and Dynaheir. Thus started my eternal love of Viconia :love: . Even if she frickin did suddenly decide to leave my 20 rep party in the middle of the Candlekeep catacombs. But, I still liked her. After that, I had to drop Kivan to get Khalid and Jaheira, since Branwen had a nasty run-in with a basilisk. Oh well, easy come, easy go.

16. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

That's a long time ago.

I think I was a fighter with a sword and a bow. I would've had

Imoen
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Branwen
    Garrick (what can I say, I have a thing for Bards)

I spent a lot of time reloading, primarily because I went on with the main story without doing the wilderness areas, so I was pathetically low in XP. But I remember enjoying the Bandit slaughter :)

17. Baronius

I liked the bandits too, especially their (non-existing) etiquette :D

My worst experience when I was a newbie and played BG first time was the Firewine Ruins. I had 1-2 level characters. Lendarn the mage always grilled Khalid with his lightning... :lol:

There is Kahrk the ogre mage in the area of Ruins, and Meilum, the self-important swordmaster. I used the first-level spell Charm Person to charm Meilum, and when Kahrk appeared, I let them fighting against each other. Was FUN! When Meilum died, Kahrk had very low HP so I could easily slay him.

18. Magic Snack Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Charm - what a good idea. I didn't really use spells to their full potential when I first played. I clearly remember having Imoen run around with Greywolf chasing her while the rest of the party tried valiantly to hit him with arrows. :shake: I can't believe I survived.

19. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The most simple tactic can proove to be the most efficient one. That exact tactic is one that I use just about every time I want to kill Drizzt on low levels :)
    Works like a charm (not the spell, the saying ;) ), if you pack enough arrows that is :D

20. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ahh, Baldur's Gate, the first connection I EVER had with D&D, I had a party consisting of:

CE Human Fighter with Bastard Swords(I choose it because I liked the name) and Bows
    Shar-Teel
    Kagain
    Viconia
    Xzar
    Montaron

Pretty much the same party I still use, except that I've changed Xzar for Xan and Shar-Teel for Tiax.

TIAX RULES ALL!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.