1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your greatest find

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Niskers, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

For those of us nuts who love the days of low level characters, battles with all of 2 maigc missiles, and a glory of finding a +1 sword, what was the most exciting find you ever made? Not necessarily the best weapon you found, but one that at that stage in the game practically made your eyes bug out. :eek:

The first time I found a set of full platemail felt like a big moment, (especially since I'd died about 5 times trying to beat the guy).

2. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It was way to many years ago since I found something for the first time, so my memory is alittle fuzzy...
    But I remember the first time I found the Long Sword +2 while defending Prism.
    I hadn´t done any quests before so I was still level 1. It was abit tricky. Having that sword from the "start" helped alot though.

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

My first ever magic sword. It made such a nice change to have a weapon that didn't break every time I tried to hit someone with it.

Oh, and the Boots of Speed of course. Zipping across the screen at twice the speed of enemies and shooting them down with my trusty bow and arrow before they could catch up with me.

4. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Ashideena from Bassilus was my first magic weapon. I loved that hammer.

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Stat boosting Tomes.

Duke Eltan... How's it that you beat Greywolf with a lvl 1 char?

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

I didn´t say "a" lv 1 character.
    I had a party of 5.

Me, Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen and Minsc to be exact.

7. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

As said before, the +2 sword off of Greywolfs dead body, and stat increasing tomes...

A kind of cheat i came up with: Start game, take all tomes, save character, start multi-player game, add your character 6 times and give all the tomes to one of them... :p
    Sure, it's waaaay faster to just cheat them up, but that's CHEATING.... ;)

8. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

there is a really easy way to beat prism as long as you have a druid/cleric on your team, or at least i think clerics can cast the spell, anyways give everyone a sling or bow or crossbow, doesn't matter if they are proficient with it or not, then about 60 ammo for each person, which costs you all of 20 gold, then when he appears have the tank take the first hit he gets in while your cleric/druid casts entangle, when he is stuck in place, withdraw tank and sling/shoot away until he is dead, works everytime with low lvl parties.

9. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

If you´re lv1 and run core rules, or more, that one blow will kill you. That´s the problem.

However, I ran that tactic without taking the blow.

10. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Just because I feel like complaining, it's Greywolf. The guy you save is Prism. :rolleyes:

Very much a problem, indeed. :mad: I reloaded several times because my tank was killed instantly. I used the trick of changing tanks, healing the damaged one, change again and so on... ;)

But thats :yot: . I also liked that hammer that Basillus wielded. :cool:

11. Aces Gems: 19/31

I loved finding those rings that boost the number of spells you get. :D

12. Edwin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yeah, the Rings of Wizardry are cool. My greatest find, however, was finding the Helm of Balduran and the Helm of Reverse Alignment. In a good party, putting that on Shar-Teel rocks. She is a good fighter with that 18/53 strength. I don't know why they call that cursed :confused:

13. david w Gems: 19/31

What does the Helm of Reverse Alignment do anyway? By the sound of things it just makes an evil NPC good and a good one evil.

14. Cambria Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, believe it or not, on my first ever play (a ranger called Amara who's game I abandoned, I never even got past the mines with her), I was amazed when I got into the temple in the Friendly Arm Inn and found out that they sold healing potions, or more accurately, that healing potions existed. Both Imoen and my character needed healing very badly, and I hadn't realized what 'those blue bottles' in Imoen's inventory did before then.

Dranalis DeAealth likes this.
  15. UsagiRyu Gems: 3/31

This isn't a weapon but it made me laugh when I first found it. The girdle of sex change. *Grin* Didn't know what it was, didn't have the ID spell so I put it on poor Khalid. *grins* I got some good laughs out of that. But it would have been funnier if there had been some dialogue to go with it.

16. cadderly Gems: 5/31

a little off topic but, yes i realize that i err'ed in saying prism, but it was honest mistake

back to topic, i personally thought their were 3 items that i was extatic about finding my first time through the game pretty early on, one was the other belt that you get with the girdle of sex change, which i believe is +3 vs. missile weapons or something, another was the boots of stealth south of beregost, and the most awesome was finally finding the person to give the note that you find off the halfling body to, and getting the +1 ring or prot, took me like 3 hours to find that little house on the outskirts of the map.

17. Edwin Gems: 3/31

Yes- I forgot to mention the girdle of sex change. Poor Imoen- I put it on her and didn't check what it did. I went through half the game w/out even noticing her profile said male. Oops. That made me abandon the game, as the curse could not be undone. That was with a paladin, Valdwyn.

18. Trminator Gems: 3/31

Veteran

Now there's a lesson I've learned over the years I've been playing the BG-series; Never equip an unidentified item! Like all the cursed scrolls, (stupidity, uglyness, and so on) and Captain Brage's sword.. When you equip his sword, and don't have money for a Remove curse-spell, you're in deep s**t.. ;) But that's :yot:

The first thing i remember was when i stumbled across an ankegh armor in Nashkell whith a 1. level character. :D

19. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I was astounded when i saw you could buy the shadow armour in beregost. I had just arrived straight from candlekeep and had little money. I saw it and it cost way more than i could afford. I wanted it sooo bad.

20. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31

Those Guantlets of Dex; I was running a paladin with a low dex, and once I found them and equipped them my ac became like -2 or -3, and I was estatic. Those Gnolls never knew what hit them!

Dranalis DeAealth likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.