1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your most-hated location

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Runescarred, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Mine would be Cloakwood. Stupid traps. Stupid spiders. Stupid tasloi and ettercaps. Stupid shadow druids with their stupid cave bears (they should change their name to 'Clan of the Cave Bear', really:D). Stupid wolves interrupting Charname's beauty sleep... you get the deal. ;)

What's yours?:)

The Great Snook likes this.
  2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I have to agree with you, it's an awful place.

Oh, and that area with the temple and the strong wolves.. It's east of either Beregost or Nashkel, Beregost I think.

3. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

Yes, it is the temple of Lathander, east of Beregost. I do not know why they put the wolves there, damn, the player is approximately level 2, 3 at most during their first visit. Oh well. The joys of the life on the road... ;)

4. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Oh man, I hate those wolves! In my current game, I waited until I was level 5 and slaughtered the beasts without showing any mercy! :mad: :rolleyes:

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I hate losing track of where you are when you're wondering around, quite amicably, then five seconds later your somethings lunch.

My characters are skilled runners by the time they reach Athkatla at least! :D Perfect practice for those quests where this letter MUST be delivered on time and only a bhaalspawn can do it.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] I dunno, I think that the Beregost temple map teaches a couple of important lessons.
    1. Having a character with Stealth to scout areas is worth its weight in gold
    2. Don't charge in, you don't know who's backing them up
    The wolves there are also effectively a "barrier" encounter, to stop low-level, ill-equipped adventurers from stumbling upon the infamous "basilisk map". Another candidate for stumble-upon nastiness would have to be the Ankheg map, north of the FAI. Since the FAI is such an early location, having enemies that deal that much damage in such close proximity can be a nightmare, if you don't know where you're going. But I think that's the key; if you know the game, no map is a complete bastard. Even Firewine (seriously) can be enjoyable, if you tackle it right.

The only really, really anoying locations for me are either the Cloakwood random encounters (being mugged by half-a-dozen wyverns is never pleasant) or maps where the respawns are so aggressive that you can never seem to "clear" the map properly, and are always stumbling upon the same, ever-so-slightly irritating enemies that you killed 5 minutes ago (see: West of Beregost, Firewine).

7. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

:D:D:D Reminds me of all the messengers running through and fro... "I must get to Amn, I must!" He has to get to Amn so bad that monsters will acknowledge it and shall not attack him! Also, horses, people, horses!:D

3. Never ask about Olmyr and the sirines... :D

Seriously though, when you put it that way: you have a point. As for ankhegs, they are do damn *huge* that I guess most of the players will flee at the mere sight. ;)

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Xvart village ... it's pointless.

9. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

There aren't any areas in BG1 that would even begin to rival the boredom of places like Fellwood and Dragon's Eye Timeloop in IWD2. I suppose that's a good thing. :)

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I hate the maze area, just before the final battle. such a drag! And those skeleton thingys in there are just insane.

11. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

Made me laugh, though. They had a cave bear too... Seriously, it appears that everyone on Faerun were, is, or will be a proud owner of such a pet.

Yeah! And all the traps... poor Bhaalspawn having to be wary and patient mere moments before confronting the greatest foe. Frustrating!;)

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Firewine ruins, those damned kobold commandos constantly respawn.

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Trapped cloakwood area.

Considering how long it takes to detect them and how close you have to be compared to the scale of the hole map. Horror.

14. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

I so am with you. Not to mention that Centeol gave me nightmares (I was twelve during the first play - through); these dreams were pretty damn horrid. Who put that 'teen' rating in there?:D

15. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Any of the tight mazes like the Firewine Ruins where it's next to impossible to control a four to six character party. I click on an area just a few feet ahead and my party starts scattering, setting off traps and triggering random encounters.

16. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

Or the stupid AI causing them to wander off while searching for a way to re - join the party, doh. You just have to point and click, point and click, every inch of the way. So good that BGII does not have it.

17. Midget Gems Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My vote goes to the Firewine Maze too. Anything with narrow tunnels, poor AI and traps is going to end badly.

18. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

Reminds me of a time when my warrior Charname went there without a proper thief (Coran's points were all in lockpicking). Branwen was casting Detect Traps like no tomorrow, and i kept marking certain areas on the map ("trapped", "heavily trapped", "trapped as F***") :D

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

East of the FAI, in early game. Peldvale? Those Mercenary Bandit Archers(forget the Mercenary band name, Black Talons?) of Tazok's that roam around rip right thru your armour.

20. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

I believe 'twas Black Talons, yes. Chill was for the hobgoblins. A strange name for a bandit group, I mean, what: "OMG, Charname, what happened to you?!" "Chill, bro". :D Well, still, this location has Viconia :love:... :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.