1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your opinion on my game (and party) idea

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mistyca, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hello!!!
    I just want to start a new game with classes i haven't played a lot in my previous adventures. And i also want to doscover the interactions of NPC i haven't used a lot. So idecided to use SK and modify the NPC and make them the class i want....
    I'd like to hear your opinion and suggestions on the party balance (not too much powergaming ;) ) and which NPC may fit in well with the "new class".
    My game will be played on insane level, with Ascension, Unfinished business, quest pack, tweak pack, improved Sendai.

NPC i have not used a lot:
    - Nalia
    - Cernd
    - Haer Dalis (i really can't stand him :mad: )

And characters i have not played with:
    - pure kensai
    - archer
    - bard (any kit)
    - swashbuckler and bounty hunter
    - sorcerer
    - wild mage

I thought of making a party with
    1- pure kensai (PC)
    2- sorcerer (which NPC?)
    These are ok for me....but i'm not sure with the rest of the party. I thought of
    - Nalia as a swashy....she grew in a family made of warriors (she gives you the fighter stronghold...)
    - Cernd as a berserker/druid...a sort of defender of nature that drives mad when someone tries to unbalance stability
    - ?
    - ?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion!!!!

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Get HearDalis, he is a Blade, a bard kit which you never played, and with proper tactics he can be quite powerful!

Nalia a swashbuckler seems OK. Really OK. Maybe you can increase her thief levels a little bit too?

*Be sure you do it right when you SK your NPCs. Best way is, lower Nalia's XP to 0, make her a pure thief/swashbuckler, lower her savingthrows to those of level 1 thief, and adjust weapon proficiencies/thief skills, then CLUA xp to her to make her gain levels in thief, THEN dual into mage, CLUA a little more XP (appropriate) nad she will be OK, I hope. Though she MAY not get Swashbuckler bonuses, you need to add some flas/variables to her via SK I fear.

Sorcerer, there is a brand sorcerer NPC mod:Kelsey, why don'T you get him? He is cute and romancable by female PCs!

Cernd berserker/druid, then he will be Dual-class? It makes little sense. WHy don'T you make him an Avenger?

Get Jan, and make her a wild-mage, he begs for it!

I remember, there was a little mod which introduced new classes/kits for NPCs, it was in G3 site, get it and it will work without problems! :thumb:

3. Mistyca Gems: 5/31

Thanks for the reply...
    I want to make Nalia a pure swashbuckler.
    Great idea about Jan as wild mage!!!!
    Maybe Cernd avenger....

About the sorcerer, i don't want to add (this time) new NPC, but use the original ones....

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

There isn't a standard BG2 sorcerer. If you want one, you'll have to make your PC one or install a mod NPC.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@kuemper:
    I think he's talking about SKing someone.

@Mistyca:
    Though I don't know what you would have to do (since I despise sorcerers as the largest thing that is utterly wrong with this game), I'd say Imoen would make the best sorcerer RPwise. Power from within kind of fits a Bhaalspawn well...

6. Mistyca Gems: 5/31

Yes, i want to SK some NPC into other classes i haven't played a lot with...and yes, maybe sorcerers are too powerful, but my question remains...by now i have a party of 1 kensai + 1 swashbuckler (Nalia) + 1 Druid (Cernd...maybe Avenger or Totemic)
    Now i need 1 healer + 1 sniper + 1 spellcaster
    I can take Anomen as healer (and also tank)....but any other advice???

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

JAN! Jan is the sniper and spell caster, he is funny, and once you turn him into wild mage, he will be even more fun! Though I am not sure how you can SK him into a wild-mage, it is more complex than it sounds!

Anomen is nice enough, if you can stand his snobbish attitude. :p

But Kelsey is neat too, and MAY romance Imoen! Why doN'T you want any mods? Mods are good. :thumb:

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

It's not their power I have a problem with, it's their edition. :p Sorcerers are the only class in the game that does not come from the 2e that the game claims to follow, but instead from 3e.

Regardless, Imoen as a sorcerer would be a good pick. You already have Nalia as a pure swashie for the whole range of thief skills, so depriving Imoen of hers wouldn't matter. Plus, you get the story-line bonus. If, on the other hand, you only want people who won't disappear for part of the game, I might suggest Edwin. As a sorcerer he'd be truly incredible with the extra spells provided by his amulet.

Jan as a wild mage is pretty good too, and I think Valygar would have made an excellent Archer if they had given him that kit instead of Stalker. The rest it sounds like you've got figured out...

9. Mistyca Gems: 5/31

Thanks a lot for all the ideas!!!!

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Will you be able to shange kits/classes succesfully via SK? If you can, would you please tell us how do you do it? It is hard, even if you change the kits, some special abilities are not gained.

Bulcher's page had a mod for NPCs with different classes/kits, changing their class/kit right from scratch AND without any bugs/problems. Might worth a download, but I can't seem to be able to find the link. Bleah. :p

11. Mistyca Gems: 5/31

I changed Nalia to a pure Swashbuckler by now with no problem in the game.
    You have to:
    - set her hp (max and current) to 1
    - set her level to 0 / 0 / 0
    - set her experience to 1
    - erase all her proficiencies
    - set her class to thief and kit Swashy
    - erase her spellbook entirely
    - give her 0 in all the thieving skills
    - erase all her proficiencies
    Now save and load the game. You'll hear the level up rumor. She'll be a level 1 Swashy now...with all her abilities (AC modifier, to hit and damage bonus, traps). Now you only have to raise her experience....
    I'll try with other NPC and let you know!!!

And if anyone else have suggestions... ;)
    I think the next to be modified will be Valygar. I'll make him a Wizard Slayer.
    I decided to play all the characters "pure" to really understand how they fit in the game.
    Imoen will become a sorcerer.
    So i have: 1 kensai (PC), 1 Wiz slayer (Valygar), 1 Swashbuckler (nalia) and 1 Sorcerer (Imoen).
    There are 2 spots left.
    Remember i'd like to keep the NPC "pure".

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Sarevok - Cmon, make him into an evil Paladin! We all know that's what he is! The eyes say it all :D

Minsc - Like EVERYONE has already said, a beserker. Because one, he can actually use it, two he's a pyscho and three, he's a pyscho!

Mazzy - Ummm guys, she's a WANNABE paladin. Doesn't mean she should be one though. Change her over to an archer cause that's what she loves doin ey.

Yoshimo - He acts so much like a swashie it's not funny! His actions, his take on life and of course, the way he always has a tall tale of mystical adventure to tell!

13. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Someone as a monk. Keldorn maybe! Monks are really powerfull if they live long enough.

You are a little light on healing, you could pobably use a cleric... hmmh let me think. Jan's got the stats for a cleric, give him a sling and let him plink off the enemies. He might need some strength enhancing article, but with that and good armor he might even tank for you. If you don't like Jan, Mazzy could play as a cleric.

I like the idea, I may just have to play around with SK and change some NPC's as well. Keep us posted on how things go.

14. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

@ Mistyca

OK,some suggestions:

Your party so far:

1)PC - Kensai
    2)Valygar - Wizard Slayer (can be used as an archer too,using Tuigan bow at the begining and Gesen's bow later)
    3)Nalia - Swashbuckler (at a certain point of the game start ''investing'' in Detect Illusions skill,will help a lot against imp.Sendai ;) )
    4)Imoen - Sorcerer

As for the other 2 NPCs:

a) IMHO you need a tank so I would suggest making Minsc a Barbarian and put him in the front line (with Barbarian's physical resistance + hardiness + the flail Defender of Eastheaven in the off hand he will be very hard to kill)

b) Here I would take Haer'Dalis (although I can't stand him either) and leave him as Blade.A second mage is always useful and he is a very good fighter too.

15. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'd put in a divine caster.

PC - Kensai
    Valygar -WS
    Nalia - Swashbuckler
    Imoen - Sorcerer
    Cernd - Avenger
    Haer'Dalis - Blade, or an Arcane caster, preferably multi or dual to a fighter.

Aerie would fit in nicely as she is.
    Cernd as an Avenger would suit your idea of changing NPC classes.
    Haer'Dalis is one of my favourites, and if you get tired of him, you can always swap him for Sarevok in ToB. Personally, I'd try and go with a normal Arcane Caster - one who can read scrolls and cast 6+ spells (since Haer'Dalis' casting ability is quite limited). Solaufein would be perfect, though since you want to use exisiting NPCs, I can't seem to find one who'd be suited for the task.

16. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Bards can read scrolls too, and in P&P they can even use read clerical scrolls, though with %15 chance of misread. :oops: :grin:

If you have Pen&Paper style spell progression tables component from EoU, bards will progress beyond 6th level, as they are supposed to be.

17. Mistyca Gems: 5/31

I've finally made my party....after a first try (only 2 hours), i realised that i lacked a character i never played (Ranger\Cleric) and i didn't want to have Jaheira in that role. So i started a new game and made this party:
    - PC Ranger\Cleric dual wielding hammer\mace\flail He will be used mainly for spellcasting, even if i know he could be a great tank
    - Kensai...Nalia. That could sound strange, but i think Nalia, with her desire to help others and the need to find a real meaning in her life, could be a thief, a bard (singing all her stories) or a kensai. But maybe that's just me....and she fits perfectly in my party!!!
    - Wizard Slayer...Valygar.
    - Viconia...Bounty Hunter. Maybe assassin would have been best, but i never played a BH and i wanted a romance with Viconia. She has some "kill bill-like" dialogues...maybe i should have made her a kensai....
    - Haer Dalis...i left him as he is...never played a blade, never played HD...
    - Imoen...sorcerer. She's my sister, and a Bhaalspawn too....

I thank you all for the advices and i hope you'll like my party!!!!

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Hmm looks decent enough.

Nalia, yes definitely she can have some fighting skills, but making her a pure kensai...Weird. I guessed a swashbuckler should suit better. Your call.

Give us feedbacks about your party!

19. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i really liked that idea of calm calm and perfectly balanced cernd and like BAM he just goes insane and start to hit everything in sight with the peice of wood(club) he could manage to pick up in the frenzy

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.