View Full Version : Thumbs up for BG1
Mon, 16th Apr '01, 12:17am
I finished BG2 and it was so good I went out and got BG1. So far I'm liking it. There is a different feel to it, but it's all good. My party is led by a female fighter/druid and I have Edwin, Kagain, Xzar, Montaron, and Shar-Teel. What do you think?
Mon, 16th Apr '01, 12:21am
Not bad... all evil party eh?
Mon, 16th Apr '01, 12:51am
Now now, evil is...too harsh of a word, I like to call it unforgivingness.
Mon, 16th Apr '01, 5:45am
Pretty good party. And BG1 IS better than BG2. I'll drink to that. You in the last stretch of the game? Coz when Angelo imprisons you, I've heard that if you've got Shar-Teel, he'll let you go, just curious what the verbal exchange was about.
Mon, 16th Apr '01, 6:57am
If you keep Xzar and Montaron in your party you will get their sub plot in Baldur's gate.
Mon, 16th Apr '01, 6:10pm
I'm in chapter 3 but I will keep an eye out for these things :)
Tue, 17th Apr '01, 10:48am
Baldur's Gate is still far away. Take your time.
Think what you do with the tomes that increases on of your abillities with 1, when you want to play BG2 again with your BG1 char, it can be great to start with 4 19's :)
Sun, 6th May '01, 5:22am
I made it to Baldur's Gate! Woohoo! The party is still the same with everyone at level 5. My first quest, besides the one for the Flaming Fist, is to steal a telescope from the Hall of Wonders. Oh the intrigue!
Sun, 6th May '01, 9:59am
I have just finished BG2 and was wondering whether to buy BG1. I have a few questions about it.
1)What's the XP cap with Tales of the sword coast?
2)Are you stuck with 640x480 even with tales of the sword coasts?
3)Are the NPCs as talkative as BG2?
4)How big is the world compared with BG2?
5)Is there freedom of selection of quests?
Sun, 6th May '01, 10:09am
3. No, of course not
4. Logically everything in the sequel is better than in the original, so BG1 is smaller in scope than BG2. But not any less interesting
5. Yes, more than in BG2 where you are bombarded with them at every step. BG1 has a more genuine feeling of adventure and exploration than BG2. At least it feels like that to me.
Sun, 6th May '01, 10:16am
Thanks, and one more question, is there more NPCs in BG1 than in BG2?
Sun, 6th May '01, 10:16am
1)I think that it is about 161,000 although I may be wrong
2) I'm not to sure, as I usually play in 640/480, as I prefer it like that
3) No way - they rarely talk, and if they do it's likely because they either disaprove of something you're doing or your are not doing one of their quests quickly enough.
4) The world is huge - in BG2, the only unrelated areas were those three forest sections of Tethyr, but in BG there are loads of unrelated areas, which is good if you like exploring, and there are also a couple of good dungeons if you like that sort of thing
5: I'm not sure what you mean by this - But certainly you can turn down side-quests that people ask you to do, but not the main ones.
BG is a great game, and well worth it - so go ahead and buy it.
D'oh Grrr (mutters about stupid simultaneous posts) And yes there are much more NPCs in BG than in BG2 - something like 10 more, and more in the expansion pack
[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited May 06, 2001).]
Sun, 6th May '01, 2:03pm
Wizard advocate, check http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/npcs.htm for a complete list of all NPC, their stats, bios etc.