Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > Blogs

Notices

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old

Cannonball Read 09/10 VIII

Posted Wed, 13th Jan '10 at 10:00pm by Fabius Maximus
Updated Thu, 14th Jan '10 at 6:52pm by Fabius Maximus

Book 8: Arabboy by Guener Yasemin Balci

I never had so much of a hard time finishing a book like I had with this one. Not that it is bad. Far from it. It just transports so much negativity that I got bloody furious more than once while reading it. But let's start from the top.

The subtitle of the book is 'A Youth in Germany or: The Short Life of Rashid A.' Balci describes the life of Rashid who is the son of refugees from Lebanon. His whole family fled the country during...
Veni, vidi, cunctabar!
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Cannonball Read 09/10 VII

Posted Wed, 13th Jan '10 at 9:59pm by Fabius Maximus

Book 7: The Gargoyle King by Richard A. Knaak

Alright, this one's going to be a bit more difficult, because this book is the third of a trilogy. There are major spoilers ahead, for those of you who might want to read The Black Talon and The Fire Rose (what I hereby strongly recommend), you probably want to stop reading this review at some point.

The Ogre Titans trilogy takes place on the world of Krynn, known through the Dragonlance campaign setting published first...
Veni, vidi, cunctabar!
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Cannonball Read 09/10 VI

Posted Wed, 13th Jan '10 at 9:58pm by Fabius Maximus

Book 6: The Orb of Xoriat by Edward Bolme

Yeah, yeah, I know. Another fantasy novel, another Eberron novel. Suck it. I'm a fan of that setting. But this one's got one new feature: it isn't part of a trilogy, only part of a series of standalones called The War-Torn. The series served as an introduction to the world of Eberron when the setting came out. It's theme is – obviously – telling stories of people who fought in the Last War.

The Last War of course is an allusion...
Veni, vidi, cunctabar!
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Cannonball Read 09/10 V

Posted Wed, 13th Jan '10 at 9:57pm by Fabius Maximus

Book 5: Storm Dragon by James Wyatt

I already reviewed this book for another website over a year ago, and gave it 1.5 points out of five. After looking for a filler book for the Cannonball Read, my eyes fell on Storm Dragon and I thought „It can't have been that bad.“

I was wrong.

Nevertheless, I worked myself through the novel again, because I considered translating my old review to be cheating. Sigh. So, where to begin?

James Wyatt...
Veni, vidi, cunctabar!
Posted in Uncategorized
Old

Cannonball Read 09/10 IV

Posted Wed, 2nd Dec '09 at 11:34pm by Fabius Maximus

Book 4: A Suitable Enemy. Racism, Migration and Islamophobia in Europe. By Liz Fekete

In recent years, literature about immigration and integration of immigrants, especially of Muslims, has swamped the book market in Europe. Obviously, the terror attacks in New York, London, and Madrid have something to do with this phenomenon. Of course, due to the sheer numbers of said publications, it is quite difficult to filter out those few that aren't populist, fear-mongering crap. Fekete's...
Veni, vidi, cunctabar!
Posted in Uncategorized

Sorcerer's Place is an independent project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of time and money on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!