1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3 - Banned in Australia

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Aikanaro, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well that sucks, particularly since I'm in Australia now. Nevertheless, I'm not sure I would buy the game anyway.

3. lwelyk Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Well, sucks to be you. :p
    This might possibly mean that it'll be banned over here in NZ as well. Mind you, a PS2 game I see all the time called "BMX XXX" is happily labelled "Banned in Australia!".

If the government really thinks that people will go out and do drugs because a freaking video game - in a post-apocalyptic world with mutants - allows them to do so, then they're probably crazy. Hell, there were drugs in Morrowind and Oblivion too...

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    What is funny is that they are so concerned about drugs but it doesn't matter that you can go and blow the heads off of people and steal all of their possessions with little more than bad karma for a repercussion. :lol:

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I think that what poses a problem is the way you deal with addiction in game. All you need is a shot and you're good. Anyone who has watched a movie about drug abuse or experienced some form of addiction first hand knows that it doesn't work that way. What they wanted was to make the cure available for casual gamers without being a hassle and I believe that is a mistake.

That being said the game is rather prude on the sex level, you can't even bond with a significant other. I don't mean that it should be graphic but there should be at least some dialogue options
    which seemed to be the case at the very start of the game when the protagonist wakes up, I'd have loved for my characters to form a deeper emotional relationship with Amata even if it didn't change anything in the end -only making it more poignant.

Truth be told if it wasn't for the graphic violence (and the point I made about addictions) the game would be suitable for a teen audience. I think most people will laugh about the gore but it is also a reminder that violence is messy and disturbing.

There is also the fact that you can play a sadistic cannibal...

7. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Germany is also pretty tight assed about such stuff!

I've been buying imported games since I was of legal age!

It is pretty sucky! Hope you Aussies will somehow manage it!

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    No mention of sneaking up on enemies and planting grenades in their pockets, either?!?!? (Personally, one of my favorite and funniest ways to kill people now that my sneak skills is up to 100!!!!)

9. Caradhras

Media:
    You could do that in Fallout 1 with explosives. It also had the gore moreover it had specific references to drugs and sex (Fallout 2 also included condoms which was a great idea).

I don't see anything that makes Fallout 3 worse (in that sense) except the fact that addictions were pretty hard to cure. In Fallout 1 you had to go cold turkey and Fallout 2 introduced the Jet, the worst drug in the wastelands. Fallout 3 just made it too easy to deal with drug consumption. There are no consequences and that is a bad choice.

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    You guys do know it's no longer banned in Aus right?
    The major problem with the drugs was the morphine (which they changed to Med-X) and the actual use of the drugs. They renamed the drug and removed the animation (however if you watch some NPCs they still do the animation of using a Stimpack to heal.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    Ok then it's really silly. I don't see the problem with names or animations, IMO it's just PC crap.

Getting a shot (an injection) in the arm is bad, but knocking someone's head with a sledgehammer or blowing up an atomic bomb are not?

That is complete nonsense.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.