1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai/Cleric

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Barmy Army, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ayup chaps!

Just basically wanting to know what you guys reckon to this class?

I am gonna start a new game and thought that a Multi-Class Kensai/Cleric would work quite well.

What are your views? Anyone used this? Got any recommendation?

Thanks in advance :D

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm assuming you mean dual-class? Or are you using SK?

Either way, that's kind of a cool idea. I would max out proficiency in Staff and Two-handed Weapon Style. There are several good Staves in the game, especially once you get the Staff of the Ram. Plus, with all the great Cleric spells that boost defense, lack of armor shouldn't be too big of a problem. I wouldn't go for Hammers just for Crom alone. Save that for another party member. Besides, anything other than a Staff for a Kensai seems just downright wrong to me, as far as blunt weapons are concerned.

Damn, this is a cool idea! I may just steal it. :D

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    Cheers DR :D

I did mean Dual Class yeah :p

My question would be: When would be best to Dual Class? I have never done this before :bad: have always used vanilla guys ( i think thats the phrase ;) ).

The fact I wouldnt be able to use the best staff in the game would be a ball ache aswell :bad:.

Which staff would you recommend using? Especially when travelling through SoA?

[Edit: Also, what party combination would you say would be best with this character?]

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It could be interesting, but I don’t really see the advantage here; you have the weapon restrictions of a cleric (blunt only, which kind of goes against the “sword saint” concept of the kensai), and the armour and weapon (ie. no ranged) restriction of the kensai. I just don’t see these two classes complementing each other the way kesai/mage or kensai/thief does, as mages and thieves work better without armour. Personally, I think a fighter or berserker would be a better choice to go with a cleric. However, as Death Rabbit says, it could be cool to try it just to see what it’s like.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm. The Staff of Rhyn is a +4 weapon - which means Kangaxx's ass is written all over it. ;) That you can buy from Ribald. He also has a Staff Mace, which does 2d4 +2 and though it wields like a Mace, it uses the Staff proficiency and does more damage than a Staff +2 (1d6 +2). It's only like 2600 gold too, so you should be able to pick it up very early on. The Temple of Lathander has a Staff of Striking, and I'm pretty sure a shopkeep in Trademeet has a Martial Staff (+3). Xzar has a Staff Spear on him (1d8 +3), which isn't too shabby either (and free!). There are other staffs, but some are druid or mage only.

As far as when you should dual, I've never done it. But I've heard that 9 is the magic number.

EDIT: To answer Splunge's comments; the "Sword Saint" thing shouldn't sway you. Look at Darth Maul. Look at Kilik from Soul Calibur. There are plenty of examples on unarmored staff-spinning ass kickers. To me, a staff seems a more natural fit for a Kensai than a sword, anyway.

And good point about the ranged weapons. I'd say take a few points in Hammers for the Dwarven Thrower, which AFAIK is the only blunt throwing weapon, but you won't be playing a dwarf so never mind. But there shouldn't really be too many situations where you'd NEED to use missile weapons. I would hope you would have a ranged fighter or two in your party anyway.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just kind of assumed you were using SK so you could multi. (I was typing my post while Morsmordre was posting). Granted, the “sword saint” thing isn’t a restriction, just my own personal idea of what a kensai shoud be, and the ranged weapon restriction isn’t huge. The biggest problem I have is the same that I have when dualling a kensai to a thief or mage. A kensai becomes very powerful at later levels, but is only so-so early, and level 9 might be a bit early. If you can hold off until level 13 (extra ½ attack), that would be ideal.

As far as party, that’s wide open. You’ll probably want to avoid cleric NPC’s (at least after you’ve dualled), and you’ll obviously want mages and more tanks, but there are lots of options.

[ September 08, 2003, 20:40: Message edited by: Splunge ]

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with waiting until level 13. You'll have a much more powerful Kensai, with an extra Kai usage, and an extra +1 to hit and +1 to damage.

As far as party is concerned, like Splunge said, it's wide open. You at least have to give us info on whether you're playing good, neutral or evil to make any type of suggestions.

8. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

kensai\cleric is an interesting choice.

but as far as clerics concern i would rather go with a multiclassed cleric\ranger which is a good combination.

but do as the two above suggested, dual the kensai at level 13 (if you decide to take a kensai\cleric).

Also, we need to know if you are going to play it in multiplayer or singleplayer, whether you're going to be good, neutral or evil.

but if you're going to play in multiplayer, try this party:

Kensai\mage (dualed at level 13)
    kensai\cleric (dualed at level 13)
    Assasin\fighter (dualed at the first level after getting the first HLA, or just go pure assasin).
    Ranger:Archer
    Monk
    Totemic Druid\fighter (dual at level 21)

this party allows you to use all the "class" specific items you find on one character instead of pondering which of two mages should wear the robe of vecna. Thus all your characters can wear the best equiptment for their kind of class.
    The dualed kensais provide enough spells to be cast., the assasin should concentrate on hiding, move silent and set traps (you may swap the monk or the druid for another thief to take care of traps and locks,, but locks can bee opened with force or with the spell "knock".
    The archer provides support, the monk takes care of the meele part together with the assasin and the druid. The druid can also cast defensive spells as well as those insect spells (very useful) as well as summoning spiritual animals (quite powerful beasts).

This party covers most areas as well as letting you try something new.

but as said, if you're going to play single player, let us know, and tell us if you're going to play as good, neutral or evil.

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well, I will be playing a Single Player game and my character is Good, but I have no qualms about having evil guys :p

Another thing is that I aint got ToB installed (heh, just realised this is in the wrong forum) so do I dual at lvl 13? Or better off at lvl 9?

[EDIT: I have just installed the Kelsey mod so i think ill be taking him along aswell

10. Splunge

Media:
    Well, since we’re talking about SoA, the level 13 dual, while still possible, means you won’t likely get your kensai abilities back until late in the game. However, as I said previously, dualling at level 9 gives you a so-so kensai. If you don't mind the wait (and have some good tanking NPC's to pick up the slack while you're waiting), then level 13 is still better.

11. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

ok single player good party:

You (kensai\cleric)
    Minsc (ranger, ranger\berserker, dont remember which he was)
    Mazzy (fighter)
    Aerie\Nalia (one is cleric \mage, other is mage\thief)
    Yoshimo (swashbuckler,use him until you get Imoen back) or Valygar (stalker)
    Keldorn (inquisitor)

All of those is Good aligned characters exept yoshimo (you might need a thief, thats why i put him there, but he isnt necesary, take valygar, aerie or any other good aligned chars that you havent taken if you decide to ditch yoshimo).

you can take anomen too if you do the path where he changes to lawful good. but you dont need him since the protagonist will be a cleric.

12. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

If I was going to solo it, I would go Kensai 24 then dual to cleric to get the Cleric 25, but the nightmare of that would make me pull out my hair. I'd probably do the vanilla and go dual at level 9, or latest 12. HLAs are so useful in TOBland though...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.