1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Discussion in 'Playground' started by damedog, Apr 28, 2012.

1. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Has anyone played it? The reviews i've seen are pretty positive, and as Dark Sun is one of my favorite DnD settings, i'm considering buying it. Any opinions or advice from anyone who has tried it?

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I liked it a lot, even more than Baldur's Gate. It feels a little unpolished but offers great roleplaying freedom.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It is old, but it was a good one.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A great game with a great ending. Highly recommend it. Part 2, Dark Sun:Wake of the Ravager, was pretty good as well, but a bit buggy. Still worth playing as well IMO.

5. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

So I bought it from my local indie game store for a measly 4 bucks and i'm having a ton of fun with it. Some of the races are awesome, half-giants and thri-keens FTW. Thri-keens are crazy powerful. 5 (!) attacks per round at level 4 is just insane. It's sad that a single class druid has more melee kills than a gladiator, fighter/cleric, and fighter/preserver. Also thank god for Dosbox because there is no way any modern system could run this game without it.

Unfortunately the game didn't come with the manual and the game store owner, also a huge DnD fan and runs a campaign i'm proudly a part of, told me that it was needed to slay the powerful but often unheard of copyright-protection dragon. So thank god for the internet and downloadable manuals.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Glad to hear it! DosBox is excellent.

I get my manuals at here.

7. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

After escaping slavery this game just got pretty hard and even more fun. Exploring a huge world with little to no guidance, but still with a goal and coherent story, is a big plus. You'd think DnD was supposed to be non-linear or something.

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Some advice about bugs:

1) When there are too many items in an area (including your party inventory) some might disappear. So don't hoard stuff you don't need and use or sell it instead.

2) When a NPC is scripted to leave the map and disappear be patient and let it happen. Don't leave the map before he/she has left it.

9. Blades of Vanatar

You can easily play through this game several times in a row with completely different parties. I even tried a party where every character is a Multiclassed-Psionic build. Very fun! Thri-kreens are awesome when attacking with fists, but remember they cannot hurt creatures that require +1 or better weapons, so carry a magic weapon as backup.

10. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

Now that I think about it, this is the first DnD game i've played that uses psionics. I didn't make anyone with the psionic class because everybody gets certain powers automatically and, more importantly, I haven't the slightest clue as to how it works.

Yeah, I should probably get an enchanted weapon for him. They're pretty rare at least so far though, i've seen two enchanted swords the entire game. I like how armor is way different in this game. Instead of full plate, chainmail, etc., there's different armor pieces that go together to make a total AC. I now regret not multi-classing my thri-keen druid with fighter. Those mad attacks per round aren't as useful if you aren't hitting often. I think a full party of multi-classed thri-keen fighters would be the best party you could make. Except for maybe half-giants. 24 strength is awesome.

11. Blades of Vanatar

I found everyone race can be melee oriented. In this game, with level-caps, multi- or dual is the way to go. Especially for Thri-kreem. Though I did like a straight up Half-Giant Fighter or Gladiator as they receive TONS of HPs. Sometimes 2 is even better. Mages are not a must in these games.

The starting area has a lot of loot, if you go through everything. You can rack up a ton of XP there as well just fighting. Rampagers are a great source of XP.

My favorite party build....

Half-Giant Gladiator
    Mul Fighter/Cleric/Psionic
    Thri-Kreen Fighter/Druid/Psionic
    Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief

12. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

What's the level cap? I'd like to dual my gladiator before I hit it.

13. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

The level cap is 9. So you can build a human gladiator8/psionic8/druid9 or gladiator8/preserver8/psionic9 for example.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.