1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trouble with patch 1.4 installation

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by krisko, Sep 15, 2009.

1. krisko Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've recently got a copy of Pool of Radiance but the patch causes problems... every time i try and apply it, it gives me a "Install Error -- Unable to find Pool Of Radiance II Files. Install failed"......can someone help please?!

I have windows XP pro... and i tried to install on both disk "C" and "E"

thanks for any input!

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Did you try running it from the game's install directory?

3. krisko Gems: 1/31

yep, i tried from various locations, and installed the game several times on various locations... i also tried downloading patch 1.3 ... have same prob...

i find it odd that noone had the same prob... i tried searching for the prob on the net aswell...

i suspected that i have bad installation or something like that, but it appears on all three installation sizes...

strange from my point of view... :/

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Reinstalling might help... did you install it in the default location?

5. krisko Gems: 1/31

I tried installing about 10 times... default, C, D, E drive... nothing... It seems to me that I might have bugged/fake version of the game???

6. Taluntain

Media:
    Hard to say but it's definitely not a common problem...

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I ran into the same problem. Patch 1.2 installed properly, but not 1.3 or 1.4. When I tried to run the program, it said it couldn't find RTserverdll.dll. I looked that up, and it's a Windows file. My guess is it changed with Vista and that's causing the problems, but I'm not sure. Are you using Vista, Krisko?

8. krisko Gems: 1/31

Nope, as stated in my first post, I use Win XP professional
    ... also, error that I'm getting is different from yours :-/

9. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Have you used the Installer Patch to install your game?

10. Tidepool Gems: 1/31

I too have experienced an issue installing patch 1.4 on Windows XP SP3 (same as topic starter). I have tried all of the solutions listed above, from reinstalling the program, re-downloading the patch, moving patch files to same directory as Pools II, etc. The patcher is unable to locate the Pools II data files, and therefore the patch fails. Any help would be appreciated.

11. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think you might need to install the 1.1 patch, then the 1.3 patch, then the 1.4 patch. Maybe just to be safe you should include the 1.2 patch in between. I don't recall if I did or not.
    Also try installing the patches in compatibility mode. Right click on the .exe file for the patch, and set it to compatibility mode for Windows 98.

Due to the uninstaller bug, I haven't tried installing it on the XP side of my old Windows 98SE/Windows XP computer, and I haven't tried installing it on Windows Vista or 7 at all. I just boot Windows 98SE on the old computer to play. I'm just adding a few thoughts based on my experience with other games and what I vaguely recall doing many years ago with my system. I have an image that I used to restore the Windows 98SE partition when my hard drive crashed, so it's been a long time since I actually installed the game.

12. Tidepool Gems: 1/31

Prior to posting on this fine forum, I did try installing all of the patches, 1.1 through 1.4, and none seem to take. If it makes any difference, I'm actually running Windows XP SP3 through BootCamp on a 15' MacbookPro Mid-2009, running the latest available Windows drivers for the hardware in my laptop (2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM). I found a post while googling around that mentioned a user-written registry patch, which fixes whatever registry issues are preventing the patcher from working, but despite my best efforts I haven't been able to find the actual registry fix itself. Anyone heard of or employed a registry patch?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.