1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Improved Anvil v3.0 released!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sikret, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Improved Anvil v3.0 is available now.

What's new in this version:

1- Many more fixes apllied to the original game.
    2- More tactical challenges and new encounters added.
    3- Several new types of monsters added to the game.
    4- Some minor refinements applied to the tactical content of the previous versions of the mod.
    5- More content added to the strongholds.
    6- New item upgrades added.

See the mod's forum

2. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Nice!

3. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

I am playing v2.0 now. I would like to try v3.0, so could I just uninstall v2.0 and install v3.0?

4. Sikret Gems: 13/31

To update from V2 to V3:

1- Uninstall v2.0
    2- Delete "ImprovedAnvil" folder from your BG2 main folder.
    3- Unzip the new version in your BG2 folder (when asked if you want to replace anything, reply 'yes').
    4- Install the new version.

N0 need to start a new game if you already had IA v2.0

Have fun!

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Good news. After trying going through with Tactics and IU, I intend to give this a go. If I have any interesting imperfect thoughts while playing with it installed, I shall let you know.

6. Lionheart Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Exellent work!Thanks to you Sikret...

7. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Thanks, everyone!

@Lionheart:
    Have you read this post of mine?

8. Lionheart Gems: 4/31

Oh,I noticed that later,that the improvement in copper coronet was caused by IA! But I think in tactics there's also a component which states,"Improved Copper Coronet"...?
    I've installed IA3! So tell me,how difficult will your "Judgement Day Plot 2" be? Will it be more difficult than Eclipse party? If so,I won't bother to consider anything but turn difficulty down...haha,because I thought there were something like cheating in this eclipse party.Very frustrating...although I've defeated it with a solo character...I hope your component does not exceed the rules in Baldur's Gate 2. I do not wish time to always stop only to my party members...HAHAHAHA!

9. Sikret Gems: 13/31

I have not played the Eclipse party battle of Sola mod, so I can't say which one is harder. But I can assure you that (unlike some other tactical mods), Improved Anvil doesn't contain any cheats in its enhanced battles.

The second part of the JD plot can finish peacefully and can also lead to a very difficult battle depending on your decision during the dialogue.

Of course, since forging the sword is not an easy task, you will be of relatively high level by that time. Just never even think of giving the sword to yourself through SK or CLUA Console cheat when you are low or mid level, because your low or mid level party will be overwhelmed.

Back to the compatibility topic, make sure that you have not installed any of the mods or mod-components which are incomaptible with IA. They are all listed in the "Installation" text file available in "Documents" folder as well as in the mod's forum (it's attached to the Readme topic in the forum).

10. Lionheart Gems: 4/31

Wah, Sikret, I say you should play Solaufein module and experience the Eclipse fight! It's unbelievably difficult first time, but once you find the way to defeat them, it will be a glorious battle! And maybe this fight will also give you some idea for the future version of IA.
    By the way, is TorGal and Shadow Jalor weakened in IA3? In version 2 it has gone a little bit too far,so I hope it is well balanced in his new version.

11. Sikret Gems: 13/31

I have seen their script files and I can tell you that there is nothing special or inspiring in them. If they look powerful, it's not for their tactics, but perhaps for immunities and special abilities they have. You will see much more complicated tactics and many more cunning enemies in Improved Anvil's battles.
    TorGal's heal spell is omitted.

Shadow Jailor was not too powerful and he is not weakened in the new version. He just had incorrect hp, which is fixed.

12. Lionheart Gems: 4/31

OK,I met the JD plot 2...
    It's surely tough,mainly because I can not prepare anything beforehand.When I arrived at WK,everything will be gone and then this Deatg Lord can deal a lot of damage.
    Sikret,can you give me some hint?I think if I could buff the party up and let them stand not so near each other there will be many chances,but now I am confused,without even Stoneskin it's even hard to cast a single spell...
    Anyway give me some suggestion if you will,please!

13. Sikret Gems: 13/31

I have already given you a hint: Do not give the sword to yourself through cheat!

If you manage to forge the sword normally, you will have lots of experience with easier battles and you will gradually learn how to deal with such powerful foes. Let me give you examples:

First of all, you need to collect the two essences. It involves doing two large quests. Then, you need to collect angurvadal sword. It's not an easy fight either. Afterwards, you need to do JD plot 1 to collect one other component required to forge the sword. All of these battles (though difficult) are easier than JD plot 2. If you do them before JD plot 2 (as you normally should) you will have enough experience for such hard battles. Please note that I'm not talking about your party's experience points, but about *your* experience as the player.

14. Lionheart Gems: 4/31

Oh,thanks.
    I was lucky I think,I tried it again after my dinner.I killed it very easily...just with more offensive spells than usual...I didn't need any preparation.
    Anyway thanks for your hints.I am used to the components of your mod.I believe I know what to do first when doing your enhanced battles...
    Hahahahah!

15. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Thanks for the joke, but false reports will not do any help.

What offensive spells did you cast and how did they manage to bypass his magic resistance? What did you do with his minions?

16. Lionheart Gems: 4/31

Sorry,a little bit late for the answer but...
    I don't know exactly what happened, but spellstrike will do(not only one,must have more than 4 SS memorized), but the best way still is Chain Contingency(Pierce Shield,Warding Whip,Ruby Ray...) and than Black Blade of Disaster would do damege to him, after another Breach that is...and I had three spellcasters throwing Energy Blades all the time at Demon Prince.
    About his minion, that's more troublesome than Demon Prince himself. I took Death Lord first,this one deals too much damage, my Planator died only for two blows. But he doesn't have overly high HP so it was ok, 3 melee combatant with Greater Wirlwind will do. Elemental Golem,(this one was boring...)died, by a vorpal hit, it was your item you see, Diamond Sword?Yes that's it. Or if it doesn't die, it's also doable! 3 fighters+GW, it will die, not so long after the encounter, before it summons(?),gem golem.And of course, better be quick with Demon Prince too,before he says, "Come, my minions!"......
    I think that's all, the most difficult thing is to breach Demon Prince's spell protection, for sometimes I see my spells not working, I don't know why...can you tell me Sikret? But once without protection, it won't last long before the might of Energy Blades, Greater Whirlwind(or Boots of improved Haste:)). One thing I found not so sweet, that is that Judgement Day sword didn't do very well in the battle with demon prince, it was fortunate that my main character was F/M when I first played it, to be able to use BlackBladeofDisaster...
    OK, that's all for my experience, if you would give me some more hints, I would be very grateful.
    P.S. Im going to try your Aura Master,haha!

17. Sikret Gems: 13/31

You had started the game just a short while ago. How did you manage to forge so many powerful items? Did you cheat to give them to yourself? Forging the items you mentioned not only requires too many rare components but also something about half a million gold pieces (And I'm sure you had even more forged items that you didn't mention).

And an F/m casting BBD? You require at least 6 million XP for an F/M to be able to cast nineth level spells. If you want to play with cheats, it's your choice, but I won't call it a winning tactic. Why didn't you just Ctrl-Y them all?

Yes, try Auramaster, but with no cheats this time.

EDIT: Please note that I'm not saying that the Demon Prince and his minnions are invincible. I have actually defeated them in my tests using a large number of diffeent tactics (and with no cheats or cheese) and it took quite a long time. What I say is that cheating in the scale you did has no difference with Ctrl-Y-ing them. Having all those items would hardly be possible till the end of TOB. But if you really have done it without cheat (which I really doubt), then you have done a good job. The battle with the Demon Prince in Improved Anvil is the most difficult battle ever designed for this game and the fun and joy of winning it will be maximum if the player does it without cheat.

[ October 11, 2006, 20:11: Message edited by: Sikret ]

18. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

He could have used the pickpocket - resell method to raise money. I dont have the patience for it, so Lord Huskar's armor and some ring/cloak of protections are the only items I've forged after underdark

19. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Perhaps he has used this cheesy method to raise money, but what about the required components? Collecting all of the ingredients to forge "Judgement Day" sword is not easy.

Furthermore, casting so many ninth level spells: Four spellstrikes + Chain contingency + BBD (by an F/M) + 3 Energy Blades? (All These strongly indicate cheating for XP.)

One other point about his report is that he says he took the minions first, but then says that he killed Demon Prince quickly before summoning more minions (saying "Come, my minions!"). This part is not believeable, because Demon Prince summons extra minions within a very short time after the battle starts. And Energy Blades don't do that much of damage to Demon Prince as he claims. I guess that he has actually ctrl-y ed some of the minnions or the Demon prince himself. Otherwise the battle should have taken much longer than he reported.

20. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well a F/M with 6 million XP could have up to 4-5 level 9 spells with a certain item you introduced. Or perhaps he was talking about Edwin? Edwin can have 7 lvl 9 spells at level 18 with that item

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.