1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Never Ending Journey

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by elric13, Jun 14, 2007.

1. elric13 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Has anyone played this? What exaclty does it change, and how is it? thanks!

2. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Yeah, I'm curious about this one as well. Did some research but haven't found anything like a readme file. Anyone?

3. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

I haven't played it, but I've read a tiny bit about it. Somehow, the mod transports you to Easthaven in Icewind Dale and you become enmeshed in something like the IWD plotline, if I understood everything correctly. I don't know if you get to play the entire IWD story or just a part of it. IIRC, you do get to add an NPC or 2 that would be familiar to IWD players.

4. elric13 Gems: 3/31

ok thanks. still debating if I try that for a complete change or stick to IA...

5. elric13 Gems: 3/31

Did anyone else test Neverending Journey?

6. Caedwyr Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

From what I've heard NEJ doesn't play well with others, though it's supposed to be one of the higher quality "big" mods.

[ July 13, 2007, 07:13: Message edited by: Caedwyr ]

7. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Since some question about NEJ is always brought up in certain periods, I'll tell about Never Ending Journey.

Contrary to the common misbelief, NEJ doesn't add IWD to BG2 plot-wise. As for what it does, a short description:
    Sorry, at the moment I can't afford the time to get some info about Part 2 (both parts are included in the file I'll link to).

Elric: unless you have already decided, I can say that if you want to try NEJ, it's useful to know these:
    • Indeed, it isn't compatible with many other mods, in exchange it's an unique and long mod. In other words, best is to install it exclusively according to the installation instructions (so practically BG2 ToB, patch, BD-Weidu Fixpack, NEJ and optionally TS -- compatibility with IA is assumed, but not yet tested by anyone).
    • Main file download and installation options
    • Patch download
    • It isn't more buggy than any other mod
    • A few words about a notable phenomenon (which, BTW, inspired this post too). NEJ and TS are often in the crossfire of certain modders who believe they're important and "awfully experienced", but in the reality they only practiced or memorized WeiDU commands for years and some simple but reliable mod making techniques. This wouldn't be a problem since modding is for fun and practice is the only thing needed to accomplish someone's mod plan, but then certain, more serious statements shouldn't be made, irresponsibly. So most of what is spread sometimes about NEJ is clearly false. If you keep the installation instructions, there should be no worse problems than with any other mod.
    • It has been downloaded cca. 3600 times up to now.
    Why did I write all these? Information? Yes. Promotion? Maybe. NEJ isn't an over-advertised mod, so little can be heard of it (this thread reflects it). It has been an existing project for a long-time; its forum isn't too active, very few bug reports, most of them are cases when installation instructions weren't kept.

Why did I mention that's often in crossfire? No, unfortunately, it's not off-topic. If I don't mention it, new users might not be prepared when hearing misleading information, and thus they even don't try some less known or promoted, but otherwise worthwhile mods. But as you can see, I wasn't concrete (no names!) in the statements in question -- they are for information*, not for war. Nonetheless, anyone feeling an urge to react to those statements can still use PM. Someone doing it publicly will not just be off-topic, but will also unthoughtfully reveal that he feels to be the subject of the description (If the cap fits, wear it).

*Information. Why is this needed? Because false info that is spread sometimes is what's partially responsible for the misbeliefs about NEJ/TS. This post isn't meant to be an outburst or a revealing of some "big truth" , but NEJ/TS is often treated unfairly and much false information was spread, so I felt it's time to share another viewpoint as well. (Everyone can decide whether he takes my word or not.) So my final advice to everyone: when hesitating whether to install a mod: 1. see its downloads stats 2a. ask about it at SP, especially listening to players' statements (modders can be biased. I'm a modder too, so you should consider the signifance of my word smaller too than of "pure" players'!) 2b. If you're satisfied with what you've heard, proceed. 3. Keep the installation instructions 4. Decide it on your own whether you like it -- don't let others to influence you! Maybe you won't enjoy it, maybe it's not your taste or style -- but you judged it on your own, and you can be proud of not having been the subject of some brainwashing that is happening on several places (SP is an important exception!).

No, I don't see devils. The problem exists. Sometimes explicit statements are better than silence. They are required, or too few will be aware of the actual information.

So elric, if you haven't decided yet (or maybe later, during another game), I would try NEJ+TS in your place. (TS adds new NPCs, and lots of banters etc., but the best is to see its forum description at BWL -- much more concrete).

Whatever mods you'll choose (or you have chosen), have fun, elric!

[EDIT] Grammar...

[ July 13, 2007, 05:20: Message edited by: Baronius ]

8. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Very smooth, Baronius.

:rolleyes:

9. elric13 Gems: 3/31

thanks for the input Baronius!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.