1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Knights of the old Republic system reqs

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series' started by Dorion Blackstar, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I just got this game for christmas and it seems my system does not quite meet the requirements.The opening movie plays and it seems to let me play but I was wondering if I would run into promlbems late in the game?

Here is the run down

My cpu is intel pentium 4 cpu with 1.60 ghz
    it recommends 1.66 ghz

My ram is 256 mb it reccomends 512 mb this seems like a big deal but I dont know much about computers so I am not sure.

My vidoe is 32mb nividia ge force mx
    it reccommends ati radeon 9200 or better nividia ge force4 ti with 128 mb vram

My gl is nividia 1.22.
    It calls for non-windows generic open gl 1.4.0 drivers. now this one says i fail whats needed the others just warn me it may not be enough.

So my question is can my system run the game enough to play or should I just take it back and it get it for xbox.I just cant afford to uprgrade right now :eek: :confused:
    thanks for the help

[ December 25, 2004, 22:21: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It should work fine. My computer is even crappier and the game worked well. You may be forced to tune down graphic options a bit though.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

err stupid question, but is there any command or anything that i could type or view to see what my system specs are? I've been thinking of running KoToR too... Jedi Knight 2 worked pretty well, will KoToR be the same?

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Jedi Knight 2 works on a Pentium 2, so that's not saying much....

But to see your system specs, right click on "My Computer" and click properties. Look at the bottom part of the window that comes up. There's your processor and RAM.

As for video card, right-click on your desktop and select properties. Then go to settings in the window that comes up. In that sub-menu, click on "Advanced". In the menu that pops up, click on adapter, and then you should have a detailed readout on your video card.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is this KotOR1 or 2? The recquirements sounds rather steep for the first one. I didnt have a computer better than that when I played the first KotOR last year and it worked fine. Sure I turned down most options but who doesnt?

6. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    While playing SW:KoToR, I had a little trouble with this game. The main reason was that the game needed RAM, and a lot of it. I traced the crashed back to this. While playing on Tatooine my game crashed often. When I looked in the Taskmanager, I saw that the game took a wopping 700+ mb's of RAM for itself. I only had 512 mb's, so my harddisk was swapping like crazy. When I added another stick of 512 mb RAM, the game never crashed anymore.

Further, I had some trouble in open plains. When I got to an open plain, I noticed framerates dropping like there's no tomorrow. I found it a bit odd considering my videocard (Ati Radeon 9500 Pro). Only when I turned down all the settings to a minimum, I was able to run through those areas smoothly.

Maybe you have to check those things out!
    Good luck!

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I'll be picking up KoTOR for PC in a few days and likely be disappointed at the craze, but it will prep me for KoTOR 2, which I'm going to get just because Obsidian is made it.

I had no idea it's such a system hog though, it doesn't even look that good. HL2 only needs 256MB of RAM.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really dont think you can be disapointed at KotOR unless your expectations are super duper skyhigh. It is a great game, best RPG I have played since SoA.

I also had some problems with crashes when I played, especially with movies but when I disabled movies the problems went down to a minimum.

9. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I had the same problems as Drugar, but with a much slower system. I found it odd that Tatooine seemed to be coded so...inefficiently compared to the rest of the game. On Tatooine I had to set my settings at minimum AND walk everywhere--running was a big no no--and it was still choppy. But this was only at Tatooine. Other than that, the game ran like a dream--although I am thinking of picking up a new graphics card for KOTOR2, which my wife and I will definitely be buying.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

uh-oh..

it says:

Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
    2.42 GHz
    256MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64MB RAM

have I lfet out any relevant info? Will KoToR run on my PC? and how smoothly?

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

okay, cool. thanks rednik. incidentally, i've never really been a fan of star wars or the 3rd-person/real-time/adventure game style but i've heard so much about KoToR that I just have to try it. My question is: what makes this game so good? not the graphics i hope, as im not going to get the best of that :rolleyes:

13. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Smiting with a lightsaber. Duh. :)

My wife really liked the simple, incremental measurement of your alignment. Getting lightside points or darkside points based on your actions and all that. I really liked using lots of force powers. But I guess the simplest praise is that it "feels like Star Wars." Especially if you liked the comic book series, you should like this game.

14. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Oh I have Kotor 1 Joacqin.on the configure section it gives an option to scan hardware and this is the feed back it gave me.

I think I will just keep it and see how it goes based on some of your'e feedback.Maybe I should add more ram though?Is it expensive to do and how easy is it to install?

Do you just slide the chips in or is it more involved?

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I played KotOR on a Celeron 700 with 192 MB RAM and GeForce 2 64 MB and it ran fine, except for the first planets when the game would go weird in running mode and sometimes even in walking mode. For some reason, it only happened on the first planet and none other, even though the later planets included greater spaces and many graphics-intense locations. Well, maybe some minor problems did occur every now and then, but who cares...

Again, what is a minor disturbance for me, can be a cause for depression for you, children of the GUI era. :lol: ;)

16. Shadowdrinker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

install the patch it solves many problems
    and also download the latest driver for your video adapter then the game should work fine

17. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

This is important.

I know that Dell and Gateway used to ship, by default, with the Geforce 4 MX. It's important to understand WHAT the Geforce 4 MX is.

It is TWO Geforce 2 Ultra graphics processing units, tied together. Kind of like SLI (scanned line interleaved), but with two GF2's rather than two Voodoo2's. Each processor does "half" of the work. But it's still just a Geforce 2. Which supported DirectX 6.0. Which did NOT have a pixel shader, nor a vertex shader. So, to improve performance on the card, Nvidia put a bridge chip on it. It interprets the DirectX7 calls, and converts them into something DirectX6 can work with. On the outside of the Geforce 4 MX box, it will say it "supports DirectX 7.0".

That's like saying the US supports the International Space station. Sure, we would, if we had Shuttles that were cleared for flight. So, in reality, we ALMOST support the Internation Space station. We, like, totally support it emotionally.

A Geforce 2 MX is it's own processor. Nvidia took the Geforce 2 GTS chip, cut out cache, replaced what was left with full-speed cache (just like a Duron or Celeron chip), and sold it. The Geforce 4 MX is two GF2 Ultra chips, tied together and with a DirectX 7.0 bridge.

This means that games like Knights of the Old Republic, which make HEAVY USE OF PIXEL AND VERTEX SHADERS, will utterly saturate that Geforce 4 MX. Your CPU will be doing software shading. You don't have a hardware accelerator, you have a software shader. Even though you might select "Direct 3D device" in the menu, the computer is using the CPU to paint the pretty pictures.

A Geforce 4 Ti4200 is a "true" DirectX 8.0 card. It support pixel shader version 1.1. The Geforce 3 supports Pixel shader v1.0 (DirectX 7.0). DirectX 8.1 moves up to pixel shader v1.4.

Same thing with a "Winmodem". It's not a real modem; your CPU is doing 90% of the work. The modem is just a DAC (digital-to-analog-converter) for the phone line. Winmodems are nearly as worthless as a Geforce 4 MX.

I'm not trying to harsh you, here. There's a lot of people that bought Geforce 4 MX cards, simply because they had 128meg of memory. Which was more memory than the Geforce 4 Ti4200's 64meg (when they first came out). Your 1.6ghz Pentium4 is doing ALL of the graphics work on that game. If you buy a Geforce4 Ti4200 (64meg), you will notice an enormous boost in the playability of that game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.