1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Hardcore" playing sensibility

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Macready, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Do not put your character in danger if you can avoid it!
    Use summons to do your fighting whenever possible. Use invisibility (Mislead is great) to avoid getting targeted by most enemies.

Rest!
    Do not hesitate to stop and rest for whatever reason.
    Perhaps you'd like to have another spell memorized? Then rest!
    You're in Athkatla and it's night? Rest until it's daytime if there's even a small chance that vampires would cause you problems.

Traps
    Do you really need to open that container? Do you know if it's trapped or not? Do you know what kind of trap it has?
    If you absolutely must open a container - and it's quite rare that you must - then prepare as much as possible first.
    Spell Deflection (and all similar spells) are great.
    Mirror Image helps vs Area spell traps.
    Spell Immunity - vs Conjuration (Maze, Power Word Kill etc), Abjuration (Imprisonment etc), Alteration (Disintegrate etc), Necromancy (Finger of Death etc) or Enchantment (Dire Charm etc).
    Stoneskin.

Of course, in your case you have a Thief (Mage/Thief), so traps should actually be a benefit to you (more XP).

Know the game!
    If you have the time, keep another game (normal) going in which you stay ahead of your hardcore/ironman party/character. That way you have a fresh memory of what is to come. I actually have a regular 2-character Multiplayer game going via internet with my brother (He plays an Inquisitor and I play a sorcerer) and we've been ahead of my Ironman game until I left the Asylum.

Most importantly!
    Never play when you are tired and always plan the battle tactics before going into battle. The harder the fight the more detailed the plan.

@Malovae
    Yes, I intend to continue with this sorceress in ToB if/when she makes it to the end of SoA.

[ September 30, 2003, 09:04: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

2. Leslie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@Earl Grey
    Do you play with Tactics Mod installed ? Basicly the question is - do you have Improved Irenicus installed ? If you can kick his butt - kudos to you ! ;)

3. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Earl Grey
    I was wondering are there any good mods on BG2 SoA that would add more spells on it? Like TDD does add lots of new spells=) and how can I make money to IE. buy all those neat spells/items?
    Pickpocketting etc?

Update on my ironman tryout=)

I got killed in the beginning oddly=)
    I went to the Circus, started helping Aerie (she was still on ogre mode), entered a wrong place accidentally, and got attacked by Were's (as you know the circus :) ).

So I went back and defended myself, and Aerie started casting spells on me shouting "I wont let you hurt my friends"... Odd eh? :D (or Me just being so newbie not understanding the consequences of wandering to wrong places with enemies on my tail).

So anyways, Starting a new game soon and laughing out loud on that one :D

ps. Do you disagree if I use dungeon-B-Gone -mod, since i HATE the 1st dungeon :)

Anyways, out to watch tv and then resume.. :rolleyes:

[ September 30, 2003, 19:32: Message edited by: Grandalf ]

4. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31

Hello. I must say that this "Hardcore Mode" looks very challenging, so I'm going to have a try. Not now because I don't have very much time, but I'll let you know how I develope in a future.

Good luck to you all.

5. Earl Grey

[​IMG] @Leslie
    I have no mod installed.

@Grandalf
    Money is not a big problem when you solo. There are two main reasons for that:
    1. You only need to equip one character.
    2. You can sell the good stuff that would normally be used to equip the NPC's.

In the circus you can easily die due to strength drain from monsters bringing your strength down to 0. I normally do not fight any of the monsters on either second or third level, but instead focus entirely on killing Kalah as quickly as possible.

That thing with Aerie was strange. Perhaps you hit Quayle by mistake?

IMO if you want to use Dungeon-be-gone go ahead. As long as you mention which mod you use so other people can fairly evaluate what you have done. For example it would be misleading if someone claimed that something is easy and then does not mention that he hacked his character to be invincible. :)

I haven't played much the last couple of days. Only did the Underdark area (not Ust'Natha!) and the Kuo-Toa cavern, including the Demon Knights in the Demogorgon room.

6. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31

Yea, I tell you it's that challenging that you can't survive it unless you know this game backwars up :)

I stopped trying to play Hardcore, and now playing a normal SP game, since my all efforts on Hardcore fell on my memoryloss :(

Need to recall the whole game and retry=)

But good luck to all of you who can survive :)

@Earl Grey
    I was Impossible to hit Quale(or whatever his name was=), since I didin't even see him in that part.. It was still the part that Aerie was chained and in ogre form. I just entered the north door of her, and ran away since the were's came at me, started defend myself near Aerie, and she attacked me :) Dunno if it's a bug or whatever=)

Currently I'm usin Ease of use, Dungeon-be-Gone, Soulafein and Item Upgrade (IU rules btw=)

7. Earl Grey

[​IMG] The Beholder caverns and the Mind Flayer Dungeon done, so basically the Underdark is finished. Only Ust'Natha remaining to do down there and I'm considering skipping it and taking the quick way out instead. There is nothing to gain for my sorceress in Ust'Natha.

Typical tactic is:
    - Spell Trap from Staff of the Magi.

- Cast Project Image (PI)

- PI casts:
    1* Resist Fear
    4* Animate Dead
    4* Pf Evil (on the Skeleton Warriors)
    7* Farsight
    1* Haste (on the Skeleton Warriors)
    The PI expires.

- Cast Mirror Image and a couple of Spell Immunity depending on what Farsight has revealed. If needed open door to area where fighting is to take place.

- Cast Project Image again

- PI casts Farsight as needed to see the enemies and the combat area.

- Attack with the Skeleton Warriors.

- The PI supports the fight primarily with Abi-Dalzim's HW, Death Spell, Lower Resistance and with quick slot items like scrolls (for example: Prot f Magic, Time Stop, Cacofiend).
    My sorceress is not even close to the fighting area in most fights. There are fights when you enter a new area straight into a fight (for example the Beholder caverns). I prepare for those occasions by loading the Spell Trigger with Mislead - Animate Dead - Animate Dead. It buys time.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Prompted by some misplaced sense of masochism, I decided to try this. Not content to use a character I have solo'ed before (i.e., sorceror, F/M or F/M/T), I decided to try powergaming through with a Ranger/Cleric (so I could abuse the bug that gives me the gamut of druid spells).

Key things - Stats: 18(52), 18, 18, 18, 18, 4 (to be raised as needed by the ring of human influence). Proudly, this took me all of two minutes of rolling.

Mods: Item Upgrade, Tactics (some, but not most), Ease of Use, Dungeon-be-gone (for some reason the thing consistently froze up before I could get much past the prison area and I didn't feel like re-installing).

Playing on Core Rules. If I die (or what the game deems to be the equivalent), game over.

Solo'ing entirely (as I am good, I will make the single exception of adding Valygar to get me into the sphere before I drop him like a hot potato).

Current status: 11th level cleric/ 10th level ranger, using wyvern's tail/sling of seeking and shield of harmony, full plate +1, what's his name's helm from Irenicus Dungeon, ring of human influence, ring of protection +1, cloak of the sewers, boots of avoidance, belt for blunt or piercing as needed, periapt of proof against poison (until I get the amulet of power when I spend the dough on Gaelan). I also use Vhailor's helm for the simmies when needed.

Completed Quests: Circus, Mencar & Co., Slavers, Wellyn, Unseeing Eye (including clearing out that bunch of thugs in the sewers and Roger the fence's troll problem), Trademeet (all of it, including druid grove), skinner murders, buried alive, various topside encounters in graveyard (haven't gone underneath yet - building up turning power), freed and discarded Viccy, alibied Jan, rescued that poisoned harper and got Xzar killed.

In progress: Umar Hills - did everything in Imnesvale, will clear out the temple ruins next time I play, Windspear Hills - doing above the ground, have little to no intention of killing Firkraag, although I may take a stab at it in a couple of levels (or may wait until Chapter 6 when I will have plenty of HLA's).

Next up: D'Arnise Keep (don't know why I have been putting this off considering I really need that flail), starting to work for the thieves (to upgrade amulet and ring), rescuing Haer Dalis and co., Planar Sphere.

Basic strategy: summon things (skeletons, animals, nymphs, now that I have 6th level spells - fire elementals, make use of Vhailor's helm to double myself when necessary, use the insect plague and iron skins spells all the time, buff with draw upon holy might and the various nice cleric spells, chicken out with sanctuary when things look bad, turn, turn, turn.

Major concern from the start: traps and confusion type spells (maybe even opposing mages in general). Thus, I don't open much of anything unless I know it's not trapped. Money is not a problem so I don't feel the need to get loot that way. I keep well stocked with invisibility potions and use the cloak of non-detection around mages and others who can cast illusion dispelling spells such as true sight. I worry about the kangaxx fight, so I may resort to semi-cheese by having a simmie use scrolls on my protagonist. I have no intention of doing the twisted rune.

I think this can be done so long as I keep my paranoia up.

9. Earl Grey

[​IMG] It's great to see you taking up the "challenge" too, dmc.
    Just a quick note here, since this is SoA, you will not have any HLA's. If you have ToB installed then do not level up after reaching 2,950,000 xp!

Against Kangaxx I assume you will be using Mace of Disruption, so it should be reasonably easy and if you don't want to "semi-cheese" as you put it, why not actually use up one of the PfMagic scrolls then? I can think of no other time more worthy of it's use in SoA than vs Kangaxx.

Twisted Rune - you're not a magic-user so why should you do it? I certainly agree with your decision not to do it.

Confusion is nasty, but Chaotic Commands is so darn good, there should be absolutely no cause for concern.

Good luck! :)

[ October 02, 2003, 20:31: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

10. Leslie Gems: 3/31

OK, guys !

Here's my progress and game: I think this is my 6th attempt at NRP (no reloads party) and I play with sort of customized party - I take existing NPC's with their original stats and use Shadowkeeper to change them into something more powergaming(why - to have a powergaming party which I need if I want to win this kind of game - and to still have some party banter):

Nalia - Fighter/Mage - multi
    Jaheira - Ranger/Cleric - multi
    Mazzy - Fighter/Thief - multi
    Haer'Dalis - Blade (no changes)
    Anomen - Fighter/Cleric (dual - no changes)
    PC - Sorceress

I play with Tactics (everything except Ilyich), Item Upgrade, Ascension - on Insane.

Current status - I finished most of the city quests + Planar Prison and Trademeet. I will go to Maevar for the last time. ;)

Weapons plan:
    F/M - Axes, Scimitars, Dual wield, Warhammers
    (Stonefire + Belm, later Crom Faeyr + Belm, TOB - Axe of Unyielding + Crom)

R/C - Clubs, Flails, Dual Wield, Maces
    (Wyvern's Tail + Shield of Harmony, later Blackblood + Gnasher, later Flail of Ages + Blackblood, also Mace of Disruption +2)

Blade - Short Swords, Katanas, Dual Wield
    (Dak'kon Zerth Blade + Kundane, later Celestial Fury + Kundane (UAI - Scarlet Ninja-To))

F/T - Daggers, Short Swords, Short Bows, Cross Bows
    (Tuigan Bow, Boomerang Dagger, Pixie Prick, FireTooth Dagger, Crossbow of Speed)

F/C - Slings, Maces, Warhammers
    (Sling of Seeking, Warhammer +2, Skullcrusher)

Sorceress - bah, whatever - she casts spells ;)

11. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] I have a question concerning your conversation, what does a "powergaming" term mean?
    Please Indulge a young man in the paths of the knowledge :)

12. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Just completed Planar Sphere and joined Bodhi's guild - killed Aran and S.T's. I won't be playing until I've completed Starwars - Knights of the Old Republic.... so my game goes on hold for a few weeks. i'll get back to you later :)

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Leslie - what will you do in the case of NPC death?

@ Grandalf - the powergaming question actually could (and probably should) be a topic of its own, given that it is off-topic here, and could become a rather lengthy dicsussion.

@ Earl Grey - don't let us down now! :D And I think your most important words of advice were to be familiar with the game. It's the lack of familiarity that did me in. :(

@ dmc - I'll kick myself if you do this, since I also had a Ranger/Cleric (but dualled), and added a fighter/mage/thief. And no mods.

14. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31

@Splunge
    Well, I was just wondering that can one play hardcore/ironman as a powergamer does?
    OR you could PM me shortly explaining me what does it mean? :)

Do you get to tweak your chars on powergame or what? :)
    but if it truly is off the topic, then i'm sorry, won't happen again=)

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Grandalf - sorry, I didn't mean to critcise. All I meant was that the question of 'what is a powergamer' is a topic in and of itself, and could lead to some interesting discussion. I was kind of hoping that you might start a thread on it since you raised the question. And yes, I think powergaming is allowed in hardcore as long as you acknowledge that you are doing so; my failed approach was one of a powergamer (didn't do me any good, though).

16. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Just tell the rest of us how you're going to do this hardcore/ironman thing. Modify all you want as long as it's clear what you've done. The important thing IMHO is that those reading your posts can have a chance to evaluate your effort.

Powergaming or roleplaying is extremely difficult to define so I guess if you want to say that you're playing in one style or another that's fine, but it's more important to describe how you actually handled the tough parts of the game. That will give both an insight in your play style and tactical tips to others.

I regard my style as powergaming, but that doesn't mean that I'm devoid of roleplaying, it's just that my style has more powergaming elements. Also it differs very much from time to time. My ironman effort is quite powergamish. :cool:

If you just want a definition of powergaming it's better to do a search or as Splunge suggested, start a new topic. :)

Edited: About using mods etc, the only thing you cannot do is use any ToB "stuff", since this is SoA. There is a similar topic in the ToB forum in case you can't follow this.

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ Earl Grey - HLA's -- DOH! :doh:

I believe that I have removed the experience cap in one of my mods, so I don't know how I am going to deal with that at 3 million. We'll see.

As for the confusion spell issue, that was my initial concern because of a lack of chaotic commands. Obviously, now that I have the spell (and the shield of harmony) that concern is out. I just need to remember to keep up the spell when high level mages are around, because maze is a death sentence.

I didn't have much time to play last night, so I went off to the D'Arnise keep to get my flail. No major dangers to report as I apparently do not have the improved Tor'Gal installed any more (although I cannot remember when I took it off). I bought the sling of everard to handle the iron golem and provide me with a +5 weapon at this early stage in the game.

When I pick it up again this weekend I will finish my "todo" list from the last post.

@ Splunge - I remember most major danger points and have no need to do some of the really ugly ones like twisted rune (where there is such a large luck element), so I do think I can do this. Next, using a multi rather than dual class is helping (notwithstanding the general consensus that a dual class is more powerful than a multi in SOA) because I am actually tanking with this character a bit after sending the fodder in first. The extra "fighter" type levels helps the THAC0.

I cannot stress enough how important that stealth stat is for a ranger. When you add the cloak of non-detection, I can sneak up on things, whack them, and run away or finish the job with little danger. I seem to recall that there's a weapon (maybe a club) that allows continued damage after the round that it hits. If I am right, that will be my standard mage tactic. Sneak up, whack, run away, let his triggers and contingencies work while his spells fail, and then let him waste spells on undead and other summons. Once he's out of spells, then wade in and maul him. I will use my jelly form from the cloak of the sewers as a magic protection tactic as well (I wonder if that form can hit Kangaxx?)

Also, I actually believe that solo'ing this character may be easier than running around with a F/M/T. I, however, am not enough of a masochist to try both and compare.

18. Leslie Gems: 3/31

@Splunge
    If NPC dies ? If he can be resurrected then I will do it. That's why the spells and the RoR are for. IF the NPC is "chunkified" and cannot be resurrected (his portrait is gone) then I will start the whole game again.

@Earl Grey
    I plan to use HLA's in SOA. Weimers enemies are cheesy too. Ever played Improved Irenicus on Insane ? One of the best fights ever. Close to Ascension.

19. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Well, Leslie, if you decide to use HLA's then you are not allowed to post here. You must keep stuff like that in the ToB forum.
    It's forum rules. :book:

Edited: I also notice that you list a ToB item in your previous post. This is not allowed!

[ October 04, 2003, 00:47: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Was it dmc who first introduced ToB elements to this topic in the SoA-only forum? No matter, because by now these last few posts have been full of ToB references. This forum is for people who have SoA WITHOUT ToB. This is specified in the forum descriptions. If you play the SoA part of the game with ToB installed, you need to post in the ToB forum. So from this point on I don't want to see any mention of anything coming from ToB in here. Thank you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.