1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Message Boards Now Open!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 3, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ah, so just the verbal denominator, no sweet digital variable? That one I knew. I just thought one could perhaps somehow access the actual variable itself.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Thanks, but I know where I can see mine. I just wondered if you could see someone else's exact number or just the verbal estimate.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] No, you can't see the exact figure of someone else.

However, the reputation is based on the number of rep points, which give you a different textual description based on the number of points you have. I'll just list a few for starters:

User can only hope to improve (-50)
    User has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-10)
    User is an unknown quantity at this point (0 rep)
    User is on a distinguished road (10)
    User will become famous soon enough (50)
    User has a spectacular aura about (150)
    User is a jewel in the rough (250)
    etc.

There are 7 more ranks beyond that at the moment and it goes up to 2k rep. :D

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Whoa...2000 rep points?? That's going to take a while...I notice I've got 7 though...were these added beforehand or were they carried over from some other statistic from the old board?

6. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Thats your Rep Power, which is different to your Rep Points, Rep Points can be found in your profile.

7. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    This may have been mentioned before, but I received a PM and it was delivered to the old boards. Yes, I was very confused for a moment :p

8. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Ooo, brand new spanking boards. Cool.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Susipaisti, what a legend. I always get the feeling you're higher than the clouds. Awesome.

Susipaisti likes this.
  10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Great new board Tal. It's the same one that they use at bodybuilding.com and I have come to love the interface.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Urithrand, you got a PM on the old boards because it was sent from the old boards. The PM system on the old boards still works so that everyone can save their old PMs.

The boards are actually completely separate. Content from the old one was copied to the new one (sans the private messages), and the forums made read-only on the old boards. So what happens on the new boards in no way intersects with the old boards. The old boards are static, apart from PMs. The new boards are active.

I hope this clears it up for anyone who was having doubts. :D

Jack Funk, thanks. And yes, that's a pretty famous (not to mention gigantic) community using vB too.

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    quoting without editing.

[​IMG] By Tal
    Me too. :( When the complete post is quoted unless it is a short one I have a hard time figuring out what the point of the responding post is. I have seen threads where post after post quotes the complete text of the Original Poster (OP). I end up not bothering to read half the posts because of this over use of quotes without editing. :smash:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Have you considered using the gem value for number of posts, instead of the flat 1 point per 1,000 posts (with bonus points beyond Rogue Stone)? At least some people could become famous (or infamous)... it would also provide continuity to the previous system.

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Tal, are the icons for new posts, both on the main page and within each forun, the final version? With so many different colours and shapes I'm having a hard time telling which threads have new posts. The main page isn't too bad, I just look for icons with 2 "papers" instead of one (the ones with 2 also have some orange, so looking for that also works). With the threads however, trying to sort out which envelopes are open and which ones are not, especially when they can be 3 different colours and some have a big arrow pointing into them, gets a little tricky. So far the only way I can tell a thread has new posts is by the "V" icon that appears to the left of the name (that little icon is very handy by the way).

EDIT: Just noticed something strange. If I look at the profile of someone who hasn't posted in a long time (say, Extremist), it says that their last activity was "Last Activity: January 1, 1970 01:00". The old forum just says "This user has not been here recently." So maybe the actual date wasn't stored on the old software, and that's driven the new one a little crazy?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  15. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] T2Bruno, I'm not quite sure I follow you... it's quite a bit more complex than 1 point per 1k posts, and rep power and actual reputation are separate. Also, it's users themselves that determine reputation of others by upping or lowering their rep points. I don't know if you've read everything about reputation since my input on it scattered over several posts in this thread...

Ziad, no, icons are not final at all. They're still the defaults and I'll replace them as soon as I can, but there are several dozen things on the to-do in connection with the board switch that I still need to get around to, and icons just didn't get their turn yet. Soon.

As for 1970, that's explained in my first post in this thread. Last activity data was not imported from the old boards, so there is no data for users who haven't logged into the new boards at least once. Hence, the default data in 1970 shows for those users.

Cirrus likes this.
  16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I miss one thing from the old Board. On the old Board when some one PMed me there would be a flashing Message under my name. Hard to miss. :) On the new board I have to remember to check for unread messages.

I know I should get an email saying I have a message but I come here first normally.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In your profile, under Edit Options, there is a box you can check off that will allow you to be notified of PM's by way of pop-up. I think this will do it (but I'm not sure).

Why do some threads show as bolded and others not?

18. Nakia

Media:
    Thanks, son. :) I need to take a closer look at all my options.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Enabling that will pop a, well, pop-up whenever you have a new private message. Impossible to miss then. ;)

Splunge, I think those with new posts since your last visit show bolded. Or rather, those that register properly... this doesn't seem to always work properly for me. We're relying on cookies for this at the moment but it seems that UBB's implementation was much more accurate. In the future, I'll probably need to set it to store this info in the database so that it's really accurate.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's not accurate for me either, which is too bad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.