1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Installation Problem

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Splunge, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes anyway.

My computer is running Windows XP.

I’ve never played BG1 Before, only BG2/TOB, so I got the Baldur’s Gate 4 in 1 DVD set for Xmas (along with Fallout Collection, hopefully through an SP link to Amazon.ca I gave my wife). I want to do an EasyTutu install, so I started with a clean slate – uninstalled my previous BG2, and installed everything from scratch. And here’s where I ran into a problem – while TOB was installing, my computer decided to do a restart. Uh oh. So I tried uninstalling TOB (through the control panel). It says it uninstalled, and then says it will proceed with uninstalling SOA, but then I get a message saying that the setup wasn’t able to launch the SOA uninstallation. So I uninstall, SOA directly, which went fine. But TOB still shows up in the control panel. When I try to uninstall TOB again, the same thing happens as before. I tried reinstalling SOA again (which went fine), but when I try to reinstall TOB, it instead asks me if I want to uninstall it. So I uninstalled everything again (as much as I can), but TOB is still showing in the control panel. The BG2 folder has some files and subfolders, but not the .exe files, chitin.key, etc. I’m temped just to delete the BG2 folder, but the fact that TOB is still showing in the control panel bothers me; I suspect I might have registry problems.

Can anybody give me some suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks

2. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What I normally do when this happens (possibly not the best method but it seems to work!) is to delete the relevant registry entries and reinstall.

IIRC the following is where you can find it (I have Win 7 and it adds an extra bit in for some reason) -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BioWare Corp\Baldur's Gate(TM) II - Throne of Bhaal (TM)

Once you delete that it should allow you to reinstall it.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks, Tarrasque. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. I found the TOB registry entry and deleted it, but TOB still showed up in the control panel. I also deleted the SOA folder. I installed SOA again, with no problem, but the registry seems a bit odd – there are folders for both SOA and TOB, even though I only installed SOA. Also, there are no actual entries in either register folder, other than one Default entry in each (REG_SZ, value not set). When I tried to install TOB, it instead asked me if I want to uninstall it. Saying yes gave me the same results I described in my first post.

I can start SOA fine, but not TOB (not surprisingly).

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  5. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Grasping at (very) flimsy straws here.

How are you trying to run the TOB install? Through the autorun with it not letting you 'Install' or directly through setup.exe with that failing to let you install? Seem to remember a very long time ago, TOB's autorun insisting it was installed whilst the setup allowed me to install it.

Other than that, think your only solution is to remove everything from both SOA and TOB - files, folders, registry entries etc, then restart so windows realises it has all gone and finally try reinstalling them both.

http://www.ccleaner.com/ might help clear any surplus registry entries.

Edit: Why is it you always type out a long answer just to find someone has just answered it much clearer with a one line answer just before you :mad:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  6. Splunge

Media:
    Thanks, guys. BTA, your link did the trick, except the entries I needed to delete were named {B8C3B479-1716-11D5-968A-0050BA84F5F7} rather than the ones listed in the post; maybe it’s because I have the 4 in 1 version.

Anyway, everything seems to be fine now. Thanks again. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.