Thread: O Canada!
View Single Post
Old Wed, 23rd May '12, 4:42pm   #79
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot
Mod Reviewer
Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking

Froggster Champion! Gold Miner Champion! Straw Game Champion! Tubin Champion! Worm Catcher Champion!
Like: 29
Liked 54 Times in 45 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 30,263
Level: 47
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Aldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeAldeth the Foppish Idiot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
neutral mathematicians and enumerators have determined that we should get more seats in the Federal government, based off the idea of representation by population
Ummm... doesn't that happen? WTF? Isn't proportional representation the world standard, regardless of whether you go the standard republic way in the US, or a parliamentary system that you see in lots of other countries?

We have a census every 10 years in the US for the express purpose of giving proportional representation in the House of Representatives - more people mean more Congressional Districts and more seats. Less people mean less seats. For example the 2010 Census showed that the population of Texas rose far more rapidly than that rest of the country in the last 10 years, and they got 2 more seats in Congress. Conversely, Michigan's population actually declined. Not relative to the rest of the country - fewer people live in Michigan today than lived there in 2000. That's the only state that showed a net negative drop in their population. Obviously, they lost at least 1 seat, and possibly 2.