1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ads - About & Problem Reports

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, May 14, 2008.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oooooooh

OK, I'll do that if it comes back but I think my anti-virus nuked it

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The ad isn't malicious or anything, but it surely amuses LKD in a "look at the train wreck, honey!" sort of way -- I speak of the "how to survive cheating" ad, where they have a picture of a middle aged woman who looks about as miserable as a human can possibly look. I can't tell you how depressing it is to look at her scrunched up face, pursed lips, and watery eyes every time I scroll to the bottom of the AODA. To me, if they caught some poor woman feeling like that for real, they shouldn't have posted it for reasons of taste. If she's a model (a far more likely scenario) she's REALLY good at looking like someone just tore her heart out (so to speak).

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've grown fond of the ad for Quibids. That is the one where they are trying to convince you that you can get an iPad cheap. I think the girl is very pretty. However, I don't recommend anyone going to Quibids as from what I have seen it looks like a total scam/fraud.

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

There's this annoying one that kind of resets every half an hour or so. Not sure exactly how long, i'll try timing it. What's annoying about it is that it pops a new window on a click -anywhere on the screen-.

I'm usually browsing around, writing a post or whatnot, then suddenly it decides to revive and seemingly turns my whole screen to a click_for_popup add. I can't be sure it's an entire screen since i can't see it or predict it, but i haven't noticed the mouse going click_for_link mode either.
    I've actually never waited to see what it'll open o.O

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That doesn't help me much unfortunately.

Here's the holy trinity of good reports about problematic ads:

1. Take a screenshot of it.
    2. See where the ad points to (target url; you'll usually need to click on the ad to see where it leads to), and copy the url.
    3. Describe what the ad is doing that is problematic.

Then send me an e-mail with all of the above (screenshot, target url of the ad, description of why it's a problem) to sorcerer -AT- sorcerers.net and I'll look into it.

I've never encountered what you reported myself.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gah! That Turkey Island ad from myfuncards.com better be gone soon. That has got to be the most annoying auto-playing sound track I've heard. At least the mute button in the ad works...

7. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

lol i dont see any ads thanks to adblock, so i cant really comment on which ads are annoying and which are just funny

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    BTA, which banner spot is it? Btw, you can log into your SPS account and disable ads until I get it sorted.

Topken, the ads displayed on the site are our primary source of income - the more people that block the ads, the harder it is for us to pay the server bills and related site costs every month. So if you enjoy the site, please put sorcerers.net on the list of allowed domains to show you ads. Alternatively, you can get an SPS account which also comes with the option to disable ads across the site.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't seen it lately, so I think it's gone from the rotation. It was a myfuncards.com spot for Thanksgiving. On the left was a picture that said Turkey Island and it auto-played these jungle drums and some kind of sound effect I assume was supposed to be turkey gibberish. Very annoying, and one day it was coming up over and over again. But like I said there was a mute button in the ad that worked :)

10. Taluntain

Media:
    BTA, I mean which ad spot on the site/forums was it; there are different ads showing in different locations (e.g. top leaderboard banner or the left or right square spot above the quick reply).

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh, it was the one at the top. I think it's gone now though.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    OK, if you spot any problematic ones again though, just let me know.

13. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Ok its disabled but I am keeping flash disabled on ad sites tho. I can see ads now tho so that's a good thing.

14. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Still getting a random popup everytime I get into SP. Happening to anyone else?

15. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] You get a pop-up every 6 hours or so, that's normal. You need to be logged into your SPS account via the separate Supporter Login, where you can select which ads (if any) you want to see.

16. Fly2tHeSkY

Figured it was always gonna happen. I'm pretty sure since the very first time I visited the site it's done that although it hasn't really bothered me. Just gets annoying when I'm in a rush :)

Been logged in constantly but it still does it :s

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Err no, as long as you're logged in with your SPS account (this is different from your boards account - the two are separate), you shouldn't be seeing any pop-ups.

If you go to http://www.sorcerers.net/index.php#sps_login do you see the login fields (username and password)? If you do, you need to log in there, because that means you're not logged into your SPS account.

18. Fly2tHeSkY

Nah that's been logged in for ages :p

19. Taluntain

Media:
    The only thing I can think of is some banner ad spawning the pops then, if you haven't disabled the banners too. If you log out and select Ad Display Level 3, which removes all the ads from SP, does it work properly then?

20. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I can say that I've received pop ups once or twice when logged in with the default Ad Display setting of 1. Sometimes my pop up blocker in IE stops them, but not always. The pop up was very possibly was spawned from a banner add. I couldn't say for sure. The last time this happened I shutdown the "popped up" window, and it spawned yet another window for me (very considerate of it, as clearly I wasn't thinking rationally by shutting the window down). I seem to recall that it was one of those get rich while working from home adds.

I pretty much stick with Ad Display 3 these days (sorry, but those pop ups make me feel dirty).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.