1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ME3 release thread

Discussion in 'Mass Effect Series' started by Taluntain, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since the release is almost here it's time for a proper discussion thread...

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't have time for it! Still have lots to do in Skyrim and I went out and bought myself a cheap copy of the new Deus Ex. Up until I actually started looking into ME3 I was certain I would buy it the second it was released but the more I read about it the more doubtful I become. Will certainly buy it but will probably wait for the first wave of player reactions before getting it.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was so looking forward to this game, now it's highly doubtful I will get it. Very annoyed by the whole 'N7 edition/DLC' saga and will probably avoid it on principle, as well as being unable to afford the collectors ed.

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I am playing it now. Its ok, but a step down from ME2. Also: a fair warning. Don`t enter the Bioware forums untill you have played the game. The place is in utter outrage (with good reason). it would deffinatly spoil your experience.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They will not sell it digitally in any way shape or form?

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I must say, after having finished the game I was upset about the poor ending. Very upset. However, it just so happens I didn`t understand the ending. Now that I do, I will have to say this game actually has the best plot twist I have ever seen in a game. The whole ending is just so subtle, and it just creeps into you. Great work from Bioware.

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I guess not everyone get's it, even after some time.

8. joacqin

Media:
    So the ending is actually good if you are smart/awake enough to get it? That is good to hear cause I was getting really worried. Heard lots of people who said that the ending destroyed the entire Mass Effect story for them.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ok, I'll be honest, I 'acquired' this game in the end. I have bad will power.

No, it really isn't. It's crap and gives no closure at all. I wouldn't say it ruin the entire franchise, that's a bit dramatic, it's still a good game. However the ending was a serious, serious let down. All the 'different' endings feel exactly the same too (I played it through once, then Youtubed the other endings). It's a shame because it could and should have been so much better.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Please use the spoiler tags for the foreseeable future when discussing the ending(s).

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

omnigodly likes this.
  12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Can it be considered one of the best endings if you need a guide to actually get it?

/edit
    Actually, after reading it a little bit, I guess it's not so much a guide as it is someone's own interpretation of what's going on. To me, it appears that either this guy is applying a fair amount of imagination to manipulate some vagueness in the game's story so it comes out better.

Or, if this is what Bioware actually intended, they obviously didn't tell their story well enough if only a very few people actually get it and then only after much deliberation.

13. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

It's not a bad ending at all. But it isn't in an ending as you'd see in a Hollywood movie, which makes it all the more original, thought-provoking and down-right shocking. Definitely gives you more to talk about around the water-cooler than how many headshots you got.

I made the choice to destroy the reapers. I felt bad about the idea that the geth might also be destroyed, but in the end, I wanted the reapers to pay. I didn't care that the ME Relays would be destroyed. These AI mofo's have killed countless numbers of people and civilizations, defiled them, etc. etc. Even though I was paragon for so long, in the end the "renegade" choice was the right choice.

As for the wiki stuff about fighting indoctrination. Sounds right, but I need to play through the ending again since I passed out on my keyboard when the credits rolled.

14. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    The end of the game kind of reminded me of the matrix reloaded, where Neo was told he had to make a choice, but he had no real choice at all - same here.

why couldnt the crucible just be a weapon which destroys the reapers and civilization lives on happy with their hero shepard and the human race as saviours and every one is happy?

15. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I finally completed my first run of the game as well. Overall it was pretty good. Not much different from ME2. Although basically all the side missions were just about fedexing war assets, so that was a bit boring. I also tried the multi player for a bit and it was not too bad. Fun enough that I did not get bored raising the readiness rating close to 100 %. As for the whole trilogy, ME2 was probably the most enjoyable, then ME3 and ME.

The Matrix ending came to my mind as well as soon as I saw the end. I think it was a worthy ending for the trilogy. But not everyone seems to agree when you look at the endless whining about it around the 'net. It will be interesting to see if Bioware does anything about it.

16. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Heard a lot of bad animo about the ending, but I'm sure it won't really bother me. Enjoying the first (and probably only) playthrough, though it's nothing superduper yet, as I'm not that into scifi. It's more about the dialogue for me.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Still haven't played it. Bought it pretty much on release date, then second-guessed myself about deciding to forego Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival. Arrival basically sealed it. Since after changing to the English version (fortunately, I was able to do that via Origin with the CD-key from my boxed DVD game and EA customer support confirmed this was as intented) my saves were incompatible (names of expansions, used as variables in the save file, were, unfortunately, used in their translated versions, so according to the game I didn't have the required DLCs's to play the save), I had to replay ME2. I'm finishing it these days and should be ready to play ME3 maybe tomorrow or Sunday or Monday. I've already heard about the endings and I think I dislike them, although I'm suspending judgement. More likely than not to keep disliking them though.

18. joacqin

Media:
    Finally succumbed to buying and playing ME3 mostly due to a lack of anything else to play and a desire to finish it before Diablo 3. It feels very similar to ME2 in all ways. The voice acting is extremely poor imo and the characters are completely out of sync with each other during conversations. Still enjoyable, looking forward to reaching the controversial endings. I have managed to stay unspoiled.

19. joacqin

Media:
    Guess I will finish it but damn, this game is not doing it for me. It feels so, well, shallow. All missions are the same, all combat is identical. I am struggling to finish a mission or two a day.

While I was waiting for ME3 to arrive I re-installed Rome: Total War and I guess it says something about ME3 that I spend way more time playing that than ME3.

20. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I still don't have it. Plan to get it.

Just for the sake of it. I was vocal way back, that Bio would probably have a hard time to live up to the expectations.

I don't envy them. It was probably a nightmare, having EA lurking over their backs and meddling in the process.

I loved ME1 (even the rides with the MAKO )
    I was quite ok with ME2 even though i disliked the removal from all the skills and weapons. And the weapons with the heat-sinks were horrible.
    The combat was good after some editing, so that the biotic powers work on shielded enemies and such.

As for ME3 it's hard to play deaf while the outrage about it is quite loud and I have no doubt that i will join those people too, once I play it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.