1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is New Vegas Worth Picking Up?

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Sir Belisarius, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I've never actually finished Fallout 3 (never fixed the purifier, that is), and I'm wondering if I should move on to New Vegas. I did all the DLCs for F3, and I've been to all the areas, just never "completed" the ending.

How's the new game? How are the DLCs?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    NEW VEGAS IS AMAZING.

Get it.

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Gotta line in with Barmy.

New Vegas felt more Fallout-ish and RPG-y to me thatn FO3...by far.
    It showed that the Original FO teams were involved!

+Tons of mods to keep your vices occupied!

4. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    New Vegas = worth it

5. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I have been pondering over the same thing. Maybe it would be worth it when they eventually release an edition which has all the DLC included now that they recently released the last DLC. But I never liked Fallout 3 at all. The writing is your basic crappy Bethesda work but I also dislike the real time combat and V.A.T.S. So I do not really know if it is worth it as New Vegas uses the same system. In the meantime I think I will have yet another go at the original.

6. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Just ordered it... :D

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 47 seconds later... ----------

I want to play something new. I've been playing NWN2 online on the Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast server (pretty good time), and I've been thinking about reloading BG2. I never got around to finishing it...and I'd like to.

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Not a bad game at all. I preffer the original Fallout 3 though, but I like New Las Vegas alot too. Have no problems recomending it.

8. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I just got it in the mail and I'm in the process of adding the DLCs. I've only made my character and walked around town a bit (in Hardcore mode). Do books only increase your skills temporarily now? Or is that just in hardcore mode?

9. Daisuke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

There are two types of books relating to skills: the first is the traditional skill books that raise skill values permanently, the other type is skill magazines which increase skills temporarily (what you likely have been using).

10. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Thanks! Hardcore is fun, but tough! <Update> I'm getting better at it. I love all the crafting in the game! It definitely has a more Fallout 1/2 feel to it. I'm glad I picked it up!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  11. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I've just started it this week myself. I switched on hardcore from the beginning because I liked the idea of preparing to go into the wastes. I wish hardcore switched off the fast travel as I've been trying not to use it but it's really tempting.

I don't think I ever used a doctor in Fallout 3 as i always just ended up sleeping in a bed but that just seems to affect sleep in NV.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.