1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Final Fantasy rating topic

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Series' started by Viking, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Since Final Fantasy has reared it's head a lot recently, and I'm now gonna go back to play the two I've got (VII + VIII), please rate the ones you've played and also state which platform this was on.

Personally, FF7 absolutely is one of the best games ever. FF8 I kinda lost interest for whatever reason (Might have been my first BG adventure :) ) so I will try it again, though I might well not get through it this time either.

Down side - Might have to buy another telly since my GF will probably have words about me taking up the living room one with console gaming again. All my recent stuff has been PC.

Still, crack on -> FF games which and how good.

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

FF1 remake for wonderswan, but out for psone. okay game if you don't like stories, cause there is none. but kinda fun if you read 8bit theater.

ff2 remake for wonderswan, but out for psone. haven't really played it yet, but it seams okay.

ff3. haven't got couse you can't get in Denmark :( . okay got a emu version of it for pc, but haven't played it yet. its the first ff that uses the job system.

ff4(ff2 in us)this game were made in 2 version an easy and a hard, the easy one made it to the us known as ff2. the hard one , is the one you get in the remake for psone which I got and I have a cracked version of the hard one for PC. this is a great game, you have to play it.

ff5. got for pc and for psone, its one f my favorit games, because it uses the job system and has a great story.

ff6. The best game ever. again i have it both for pc and psone. it has the best story, its so deep. and I love all the characters. I can't really say how good it is.

ff7. psone. almost as good as ff6 and that says a lot. plus it has sephiroth.

ff8. psone. if it wasn't a ff game, i would say it was okay, but since it is, I HATE it. the characters are boring and so is the story. the only cool thing is the junction system, but overall this game is the worst ff. I liked ff 1 more...okay that's a lie, but hay

ff9. psone. since i love the anime like graphic, and the story, even if it's kinda like ff7, I would say its one of the best ff and one of the best games.

FF10. ps2. the graphic is superp and the grid system is quit fun. and the story is overall very good, although parts of it sucks. but overall I like it alot. cant wait to get x-2, which has the job system.

ff tactics. never made it to Denmark....I got to have it someday.

ff tactics advance. gba emu. yes i got it the illegal way muhahaha. but i don't like it that much. the story is okay, but the battles are just to slow.

ff adventure aka seiken dentetsu 1. gb. not really a ff, but actually the first secret of mana game. but they changed the name in US and Europe so it would sell better. but still an okay game.

FF saga 1-3. gb, same as above, these games belongs to the Saga series, not ff. but are okay games never the less.

ff mystic quest. snes. again not a real ff, in japan its only known as mystic quest and it sucks big time.

[ February 14, 2004, 12:54: Message edited by: Equester ]

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

In my opionion:

Top 3: FF4, FF6, and FF7

I simply couldn't get engrossed in FF8 because of its tedious and clumsy junction system and an idiotic minigame that was a requisite for completion. Besides, the main character gives goths a bad name.

FF9 was better, but it still seemed underwhelming in comparison to FF8. It's still a great game, though. Enjoyable story, lively characters, hilariously inexplicable plot elements. But it just didn't live up to the legacy left behind by other games.

FFX: Awesome graphics and gameplay. The story, howwever, was totally baffling. I guess I'll have to play this game again sometime later.

FF tactics: An incredible game. However, the translation is horrible, which ruins the experience of playing this potential master piece. A certain NPC who is fairly easily recruited unbalances the entire game as well: Orlandu. If you want any semblance of a challenge in this game, don't recruit him. I beat the final boss with this guy in roughly three combat turns single-handedly while the main character and the rest of the party hung back and played FF tactics on their gameboys.

4. Godofredo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] My Final Fantasy Top 3:
    1# Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    2# Final Fantasy VII
    3# Final Fantasy Tactics
    :roll:

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

#1: FF VII
    #2: FF X

I haven´t played the others that much, except FF I. But that was way back and I dont remember much of it. Looking forward to FF CC.

6. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

FF1 - On NES. The randomness makes it hard. You could powergame through it the same way two times and succeed once and fail the other.

After this my numbering is screwed up...

FF2 - never played it.

FF4 - The one with Cecil the Dark knight convert to paladin. This is the typical FF RPG. A hierarchy of bad guys, characters sacrificing themselves, etc... such themes that arise in the later FF series all come from here.

FF5 - The one with Jobs and Giglamesh. That said, I really like this one.

FF3/6 - The one with LOTS of party members. Not too fond of this game, but that's partly because I played this after FF7 and had high expectations. With so many characters, I never did get to know all of them.

FF7 - Probably my favorite. Good story and characters, fun mini-games.

FF8 - The best part was the FMV's. The plot dulls down after the you get into the game. I didn't like the characters very much.

FF9 - Seen it, haven't played it.

FFX - Watched the whole game, didn't really play it. So great storyline, but no comment on game play.

Summary: Top 3 for me are FF7, FF5, FFX

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Final Fantasy 6 (and BG2 ;) ) is the best RPG I know, but pretty much every other part of the serie is a) aimed for children, or b) just plain rubbish. Excluding FF7, which actually had a pretty good system and story -shame that it allowed only 3 characters to battle :(

8. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The only FF game I ever played was #8 (for PC).

Combat system: okay, I guess.
    Characters: okay for the most part, I guess.
    Movies: okay, I guess.
    Music: unbearable, no guess.
    Plot: I completely lost interest shortly after CD2, never actually finishing the game.

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

#8's characters were awful :nolike:

The best for me were #7 and #10.

Can't wait for FF X - 2, which should be out on the 26th of this month :D

Never completed #9 but it was OK now I think back to it.

10. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The top FF games, IMHO, are FFIX, FFX, FF2.

Final Fantasy I isn't very good; it's very shallow. The only good part was the randomness, which was the best out of any other FF game. - Emulated on computer, sadly.

Final Fantasy II is quite a big step-up story-wise compared to FFI, but still nothing fantastic. Final Fantasy Origins, which includes FFI & FFII, was a good buy at $15 for PS.

Haven't played FFIII-FVI, though I'm looking for FFVI; looked very good.

I haven't really played much of FFVII, but that will probably change soon. I've seen parts of it, however, and it looks good. - PS; I played the demo on the computer it had a bunch of blocks that looked like a brick wall (except for color) covering the entire screen the entire time. Turned me off.

FFVIII I didn't think was as bad as people on the boards seem to think it was. Some of the parts of the story were quite good. Not all of it, admittedly, but some of it. Exciting opening sequence. Liked the card game, but FFIX's was better. - PS

FFIX was really good, and the best one I've played so far. The story was very good, the character development was good, especially for some characters, and the card game was great, I thought. - PS

FFX was easily the best graphics-wise. It had a decent story, though good character development (again for some, not all). The minigame, Blitzball IIRC, was very addicting, but got too easy once you hit around level 50 with each player.

FFX-2 was awful. Shallow story, weird "Dress-spheres" The characters lacked personality, for the most part, especially if you haven't played or completed FFX.

FFXI I haven't really gotten around to playing since my parents say they aren't going to pay for the online service :( Not cool on their part. It looks interesting, but I think it will turn into ALFA - too power-gaming, after a few months. People always ruin the good things, it seems. :( :mad: :(

All of them have a good music, I thought, though they all use the same, basic battle music, which gets fairly old after awhile.

11. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The only one I ever played was FF1, and only because I read 8-bit theatre, and decided I wanted to be Black Mage. He's great.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

And I was almost ready to throw up because of the fact how banal those characters were and how repetative the battles got. Go figure. :rolleyes:

13. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Final Fantasy 1(origins): 8/10

Final Fantasy 2(origins): 7/10

Final Fantasy 3(Haven't played yet, but I got a ROM)

Final Fantasy 4: 8/10

Final Fantasy 5(haven't played yet, but I got it on playstation)

Final Fantasy 6: 8/10

Final Fantasy 7: 10/10

Final Fantasy 8: 9.5/10

Final Fantasy 9: 9.5/10

Final Fantasy 10: 10/10

Final Fantasy 10-2: 9.5/10

Final Fantasy 11: 7.5/10

Final Fantasy Tactics( Haven't played yet, but I ordered it from the internet, should be any day now)

14. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

@ Jasper: Tactics has an awesome storyline and great gameplay. But be prepared to laugh your guts out at the horrendous translation.

"Master of all swords! Cut Energy! Night Sword!"

"Burning anger rising! Fist of righteousness! Wave Fist!"

Or something like that. :lol:

15. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

FFIX was my favourite (don't hurt me :( )
    I loved the setting and the 4 characters for combat. 5 of the characters were interesting and deserved applause (PC, Dagger/Garnet, Steiner, Vivi and summoner child) however the other 3 were boring fillers.

I really enjoyed the magic system (learning from items equipped) and the graphics, although not as realistic as VIII and X, were very fun.

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have only played 1,4,6,7, and 8. Of those I would say that 6 is the best (I would say that 6 is the best console game ever) followed by 7 (my second favorite console game ever), 1, 4 and then 8.

I would still say that eight is a pretty good game taken in and of itself, it just suffers in comparison to the other Final Fantasy games. It took me a while to get used to it but after a couple hours I found it quite enjoyable.

17. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] @Shura: Yeah, nothing like bad translation :)

18. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Just bought 4/5 - Anthology and 10. Should keep me busy for a few evenings :)

19. Ryginar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Final Fantasy 5 will always have a special place in my heart. My favorites thus far is the one that I just mentioned, second is Final Fantasy 7, then 8.

20. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Funny to see such an old thread being necro'd in such a new subforum.

As for FF, I looked at a Let's Play (that is, someone else playing through the game and recording this to show to a wider public) of FFX, and after half an hour or so I was already disgusted with the main character. Why do these jRPGs always have such total twats as main characters? Generally it takes just the intro for me to make me want to play as the bad guy just so I can kill the whiny twat that is the main character.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.