1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout: Rebirth

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by olimikrig, Oct 17, 2009.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Anyone seen this?

Fallout with Crysis graphics. Could be interesting if they actually finish it

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    *If* they actually finish it yes. Since the original game was 2D, the amount of details they must add will be immense. I don't understand why they don't use the Fallout 3 game to begin with, they only need to add the story and characters then.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Truth be told I don't see the point of such a mod. Is it for those who can't play Fallout 1 because of its outdated graphics? It's their loss. Those who've been playing Fallout 1 for years don't need a conversion.

I don't know if it is realistic just to be thinking of adding all these elements to Crysis. When I look at all these things they want to implement it seems to me that they should have modded Fallout 1 to make it look better rather than modifying a game like Crysis to make it look (and work) like Fallout.

Modding Fallout 1 stories and quest into Fallout 3 would already be a lot of work so that it would require an entire team of modders dedicated to make it happen.

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think it's mostly just a matter of showing off. If they could actually manage to pull it off it would be pretty impressive after all, considering the amount of work it would require. And I must admit that if I could play FO1 with the Crysis graphics I'd take that any day (not that I really mind the outdated graphics too much, mind you. It's not that bad with the widescreen mod, really).

That's really the point though. I think that the group this mod is aimed at isn't really those who has been playing Fallout for years, but rather those who haven't. You have got to put things in perspective here. You were actually playing this game back when it came out; the group I believe this mod is aimed at was probably not old enough to be playing much of anything back then :p.

I can understand if people have difficulties adjusting to the outdated graphics if they weren't playing the game, or similar games, back when it was released.

5. Caradhras

Media:
    I'm pretty sure they were already playing peekaboo. :D

Anyway, I feel like an old fart reading your post because I was playing that game in 97.

I must be nuts but 12 years later I still enjoy the way it looks and the fun of the animations. Watching the little guys move always make me smile. Especially the supermutants rubbing their behinds and smelling their hands (gross!) or the one of the supermutant looking into the barrel of the RPG (not the game, the other one).

It must be quite hard to get into old games that don't glitter that much for kids who are used to the amount of eye candy we have nowadays. Still, it's a bit like judging a book by its cover. I'm sure the cover can really sell the book but it won't turn it into a masterpiece.

I don't get why some people get so anal as far as Fallout is concerned. The Bethesda version couldn't be any different (and it could have been much worse) because "Full Turn-Based Combat System" and "Fallout style 3rd Person Camera" are dead. The combat system was living its last hours with Fallout Tactics (which IMO was bad). What the success of Fallout 3 insures is that we'll get to play other sequels. Sequels with all the bling and the eyecandy but sequels nonetheless.

It's a little bit like Star Wars, you may not like the new trilogy that much but you have to admit that Revenge of the Sith is quite good, it may not be The Empire Strikes Back but it is a real Star Wars movie.

Back on topic, you must be right when you say they're showing off. If they weren't, they would either be modding Fallout 1 to make it look better or Fallout 3 so it could be played like Fallout 1.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I got those old fallouts a few days back, and it graphics are horrible. Call me spoiled if you must.

7. Caradhras

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Believe me if you can get beyond the graphics you'll find out what is so special about these games and kept me playing them for the last 12 years.

Check this link for the children mod (I guess you have the European version) so you can get all the quests and the Resolution mod (which will make the graphics much better on larger screens).

The original Fallouts have so more depth than Fallout 3 so it would be a shame to miss them. I think that Fallout 2 was spoiled by too many cultural references (just too much Monty Python's jokes and even a reference to one of Elton John's songs and movies -lines from The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Star Wars but also the Blues Brothers) but Fallout 1 is a perfect game. Besides the original Fallouts had great music (the music in Fallout 3 is just Oblivionesque and if it works in Oblivion it is an absolute mood killer in Fallout, at least for me). So you should definitely try and play through Fallout 1, it's definitely worth it.

8. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I must admit, I don't really see the point. Why not just recreate Fallout in the Fallout 3 engine?

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Actually they have scrapped the CE2 engine and moved on to Unity3D a few months ago. But this will probably never become anything more than a technology demo. But who knows, maybe they will pull a surprise after a few years.

10. Mirenheart Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, just to say, some one else is already using the Fallout 3 engine to remake the game. In fact, there are at least 2 fallout remakes going on right now, one of which is on a temporary hold. http://www.fallout3mod.com/

11. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

The old games are pretty fun, but nowhere near as in-depth as everyone told me they were :-/

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.