1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Skyrim Rating

Discussion in 'Featured Polls & Comments' started by Taluntain, Mar 10, 2012.

?

On a scale of 1 to 5, how high would you rate Skyrim?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2015.
  1. 5 (highest)

12 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. 4

24 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 3

12 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. 1 (lowest)

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. I haven't played Skyrim (yet)

25 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In this poll we're checking how high our community rates The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I was going to give it a four originally, but decided on a five. I've enjoyed the game immensley when I get to play it. I like the level up system, I like characters involved (even if they could have invested in one or two more voice actors ;)) and I like the freedom to take the story wherever I wish it.

I'm looking forward to DLC, too, as whilst I can identify certain points in guild quests or world quests that have slight hiccups they're the small breaks that indicate something was taken away or is a stub to be built on - so I'm interested to see if the points I think can lead onto more things had the same potential in the developers eyes.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    After not much thought I felt compelled to give it a five. It is probably the best single player RPG I have ever played. I can spend many minutes list things that are less than perfect but most of them only seem like that compared to all the things that are utterly brilliant.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't like how you can't 're-jig' your character. I played through the game so far basically as a jack of all trades. I can cast a bit, fire a few arrows, melee a bit. My points are spread too thin across the board, and as I got further into the game I realised I wasn't good enough at one particular thing, and the game got hard. I ended up having to kite stuff for ages with the bow. I needed to specialize in one thing, but by the time I realized that I was too far in to start again. Damned if I'm doing the first god knows how many hours of the game again. Because of this, I shelved it and haven't been on it since. This is the one thing that ruined an otherwise exceptional game for me.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I had that, Barms, well technically twice :p

Made a character who I wanted to use spears, found out within ten minutes there weren't any started again with a thief.

Got a fair way into the game - was perhaps level 38 or just under. I had got to the point I was an excellent sneak, pickpocket and merchant; however in combat I was so poor that I needed a henchman meaning I could no longer sneak and pickpocket. By that time I was also a bit of a one hit wonder. I had a handful of skills to focus on but had let the non combat ones get too far ahead

Having such an epic level of failure, in playing a second time round with the same character - only ensuring her selected stats stayed relatively equal or oriented towards combat has made for a much more satisfying game.

Though I admit, when I purchase a game my idea is that I will be failing the first attempt in a rather complete fashion, thus whilst I'd spent forty odd hours on the first thief I did not feel I missed out, I simply got a better grip of the game - hopefully one day you'll give it another go and have a better handle so you can enjoy it more thoroughly, though I understand your frustration.

On PC you could use the console to change your character though, but mine's on the PS3

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You could just lower the difficulty level with that character Barmy. I am on my third character and it has been a completely different game and I keep finding new things. Heck, I find completely new neighbourhoods in the cities and vast stretches of wilderness none of my previous maxed out characters saw. The abundance of content in Skyrim is almost offensive, 70% of it is wasted on the average player and I wonder if anyone has seen and done everything.

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I gave it a 3. It's a beautiful game with a lot going for it, but I just couldn't get into it when all was said and done.

Heisenberg and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I've got maxed out sneak and stuff. My first hit, either with dagger or bow packs a wallop, but after that it's cat and mouse. I did try and use the console to change my dude, but I failed epically and ended up breaking the game a bit, so I stopped. I really like the look of my guy, I've got this armour from completing the thieves guild quest line, Nightshade or some name, I can't remember, but it looks mint. But it's a case of mutton dressed as lamb unfortunately.

I guess I could, but I don't really enjoy the character. I'd quite like to be a killer caster guy, but I can imagine the game being tough as hell early on.

9. joacqin

Media:
    That sounds like my current character, can slice off half the health of an elder dragon in one backstab (which I have only ever managed to do once, dragons being airborne and all that) but things get a little tricky in a fair fight. Thankfully I rarely fight fair, poisons are damn useful if I have kill someone from the front or just running away, re-stealthing and coming back also works wonders. Sure, it is not as powerful as heavily armoured, two handed axe wielding, fully enchanted nord who two chops everything on master but it is fun and powerful enough. Not to mention as you said Barmy, you look awesome in thieves guild/dark brotherhood gear.

10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Nightingale armour?

My kitty is only pet-able with gloves. Dark elf night blade. Destruction and light armour followed by alchemy, archery and one handed blade.

On PC with everything maxed out graphic wise.

I give it 92%

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I gave it a 4. I felt the followers were pretty one-dimensional. Mostly they just ran behind me and hardly spoke at all.

12. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    4 from me as well.

13. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I gave it a four as well. I love the game. Beautiful and perplexing sometimes. And I do like walking around and just looking at things, the only thing it lacks is some real people ;).

14. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not to mention hearing your favorite alchemist NPC's voice being used by a king in one area, a bandit in another and a villain somewhere else feels weird. Though I do like hearing Minsc's voice actor everywhere.

15. Ravenstar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

You might have sold me

Well, I was going to pass up Skyrim, until I found out about Minsc's voice actor. Now, I have to go re-think it.

16. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The week before Skyrim came out I was talking to my friends about achievements on the Xbox, and how I always got bored of games before powering through for all of them.

On December 11, 30 days after Skyrim was released, I got the last achievement.

That said, I have not been as engrossed in a game as I was with Skyrim in an incredibly long time, I definitely give it a 5/5

The Nightingale armour looked fantastic, this was the first game I actually played using an HDMI cable and I was just blown away.

As far as companions are concerned, the only time I used them was when required for quests/achievements

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, if they did that, the game would be too easy. You could just re-create your character to optimize it for whatever dungeon you were in.

That said, I'm on my second character because I screwed up as well. While it was obvious to me that all games of this type favor specialization, I was led to believe that as long as you got really good at a couple of things, you were free to spend the rest of your points as you liked.

While that's technically true, there's the necessary qualifier of "one of the things you better be really good at is a means of dealing out damage". I made my first character a stealth character that, like you, was toast as soon as he got into combat.

So my next character was a tank, but I'm really considering after I get through the main quest to try a thief styled character again, only this time, I'll focus more on archery and only a few points in sneak early on. (You can't beat that first point of +20%, but after that subsequent perks on Stealth are only worth 5%, so the first one is worth as much as the next four combined.) It also seems that your base chance of hiding has much more to do with how high you sneak skill is rather than how many perks you've invested.

I also will have to incorporate potion (or more appropriately poison) use on my arrows. A perk or two in light armor and one handed will also be well advised.

18. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While it's well worth it to rummage your pack for just the right poison to use against a powerful boss, mage or something like a gang of trolls, poisons can be a hassle to use for "general" adventuring. Potions are different, they're much easier to sort through and you can just favorite the ones you'll be using most.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Definitely. Add in that unlike arrows, potions have weight (0.5 each). So since the number of attacks you get with a poisoned weapon is rather limited, it is impractical to carry around 50 or so that you'd need for an extended quest. Like you said, it's much more practical to pack 5 or 6 and pick and chose when you use them.

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gave it a 4. Would have given it a 4.5 if that were possible.

My biggest gripes are just about the followers and the loot. The followers as they're so lifeless and dumb. And the loot because everything looked the same and nothing felt unique - minus the Daedric items of course, but - they were so few.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.