1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official, Unofficial, BoM Project Eternity Information Thread! - Updated Dec 7

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by Marceror, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I have added a couple of details that came out of my interview with Adam Brennecke yesterday. Namely, he gave me a sneak peak of a new companion who is an Orlan Cipher and a detective, currently under development. He also shared a couple of details about the Priest and Paladin classes.

Adam is a really nice, down to earth guy. Chatting with him was a real pleasure.

Rotku likes this.
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've been a bit slow getting to updates this week, but I have made several this evening, including changing the Video section into more of a timeline that now includes all Kickstarter updates since PE was first announced until today. I have also broken up Game Mechanics and Technical Details into their own posts, as the Game Mechanics section has grown rather large. A number of other changes have been made as well, reflected in the change log in the first post.

Cheers!

Taluntain and Rotku like this.
  3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    We appreciate you hard work here Marc. It's handy, having all those infos in one place!

4. Sujamma Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I know this might be a little late since I'm new here, but wow, everything's so... organized. Fantastic job, Marceror!:D I cannot wait for this to be released!

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Anyone else notice the lake in the bottom right of the map is "Lake of Drow Tombs"? :) I assume "Drow" should be "Drowned" and got covered, but I thought it was funny.

6. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Thank you for this great thread :)

7. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

I've gotta say, I was very speculative at first, but reading all this is certainly piquing my interest a fair bit!

8. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not sure if right thread but we'll see.

Remember the first Render with the ancient Gate/Temple entrance.

Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #49: Prototype Demo

N'joy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    8people, Paracelsi and Taluntain like this.
  9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Oh my. Its like christmas. Finally a new promising game for my beloved Infinity Engine style. Beeing a fanatic about PST - BG 1 & 2, this is pure epicness. But for the love of all, Josh Sawyer please eat some more. You are just skin and bones! We need you healthy and strong to finish this!

Taluntain likes this.
  10. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Excellent direction this game is going. Quality visuals and dynamism - these are things that tend to be lacking many high fantasy games these days, PC-wise at least. Consider Neverwinter Nights 1. One of the things that really bothered me about NwN1 (and even NwN2/the Mass Effect series/the Dragon Age series to some extent) was how everything you did had just a split second worth of lag associated with it. Giving commands, casting spells... I'm guessing this is one of the main reasons why command queues and the QWER movement system were so important in these games. Nobody ever bothers to mention it, but I'm pretty sure all of us have noticed this to some extent. The lag may seem almost nonexistent to high end PCs, but many of us don't game with one.

If we could have visuals like this and still get the level of dynamism shown in the vid on an average PC... exactly why have we been forced to put up with low quality 3D games for so long?
    TBH visuals-wise I thought the original NwN was a massive step down from BG2/the Icewind Dale visuals. 2D->3D doesn't automatically mean better quality. Right now its starting to look like it took us over a decade just to figure out that a 2D/3D fusion seems best results-wise, even though I'm pretty sure people have been thinking about this for a very long time. This is particularly noticeable in the fighting games scene - everyone is starting to abandon plain 3D in favor of 2D/3D fusion (the Blazblue/Guilty Gear series, the UMvC3 series, Persona fighting game series, SF4, King of Fighters). I'd like to point out that in the fighting game scene, visuals are one of the main factors that draw an audience/following.

Is it because 3D graphics were novel at the time? Is developing 3D games simply more lucrative? Why exactly did gaming take that backwards step?

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Good points Paracelsi. I think its exploration of what is possible to do with games that drives people and programmers toward odd ends and often dead ends

I hope we are looping back into this more cozy lovely 2D/3D world of Infinity Engine games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.