1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Announced

Discussion in 'Neverwinter' started by Taluntain, Aug 23, 2010.

1. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Another MMO?! God, I am so sick of them. Hey, let's remove all aspects of coherent story in favor of repetitive XP mining with no real purpose, all so we can charge the consumer monthly and make them pay for extra content that should just be part of the game in the first place. Say goodbye to the age of games as art, no more gems like Final Fantasy Tactics or PS:T. Why bother when we can make more money without any real creative effort? :bang:

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

damedog hit the nail on the head. Minus the final Fantasy bit.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey, Tactics mighnt not of been as challenging as PST, but it was a lot of fun to play. And it was replayable!

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Its 4th edition, isn`t it?

5. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I personally thought the story for Tactics was quite well done and very daring for the series. An oppressed peasant class fighting for freedom, corrupt companies colluding with governments, nobles who will do anything for more power, idealistic and later disenchanted main characters, and interesting debates between these differing themes when the characters meet in battle. It was so complicated it took me 3 playthroughs to finally get a grasp on everything that was going on.

6. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

I was hoping that was an april fools day prank Tal considering what day you posted it but its not which stinks.

Plus the date looks like its been pressed back a year as it now states Q4 2012 on the FAQ on their site.

http://www.playneverwinter.com/faq

THis part is interesting

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  7. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

"to really make Neverwinter into a true MMO. Which we're very excited about.

We're full believers that we can deliver a tried and true D&D Experience, as well as an excellent MMO experience at the same time."

Excited about an MMO :S? Not sure how they will manage the D&D experience thing either, given the lack of plot with an MMO.

8. Topken

Well 4th ed lends itself to the MMO style perfectly since thats basically what 4ed is and that is the ruleset they are using in NEverwinter. Knowing that now I honestly dont know if I will even like Neverwinter now. I love the other 2 becuase of what the community has done with them but I dont know what the community can do with something like an MMO like this. Well we be able to completely change the game ala The Creation Kit for Skyrim? OR will be more like the Infinity Engine where everything is locked into their world and ruleset?

9. Topken

Wow this game is just bad. The cleric is reduced to waving around what basically amounts to a fancy fan no melee options for either the cleric or the wizard. Managed to finally get into the beta if only for a weekend.

10. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well I gave it a couple of hours and that was all I could take, character creation is an absolute joke, there are four classes, just four (2 kinds of fighters, cleric, rogue and wizard). Even deity selection as cleric was limited (I could get a Cyric tattoo but couldn't select him as my deity, even though as the game told me, deity choice has no impact on the game... if it has no impact on the game then let me choose Cyric as my deity!).

Combat, well actually the entire game feels like it started on a console and was ported over to the mmo format, especially with the "hit alt to unlock the mouse and be able to click interface buttons" deal. As I woke up in the remains of a shipwreck, the first thing I did was run into the sea to explore, and the first thing that I encountered was an invisible wall and water that never went above ankle-height. This pattern continued so I just gave up and followed the sparkly trail that leads you exactly to where you need to go (I'm not kidding, there is a sparkly trail to follow).

Quests given to you are voiced, with the voice acting being about on the level of a community rpg mod (awkward pauses as voice actor checks lines, done in a single take, mispronunciation galore etc), the camera zooms down and in on the person giving you the quest so that you can... see them talk. This probably wasn't a good idea, as the mouth movements are reminiscent of Terence and Philip. Content of quests is just the usual collect x of y and kill number of dudes quests.

Locations and vistas look great on high detail and the first city you enter is quite pretty, but characters have this weird kind of subhuman look, not detailed (Tera) but not cartoony (WoW) either, for some reason Gumby came to mind (here is a male half-elf, here is a female human).

This isn't a complete review because I only played a couple of hours before my sparkly path led me to a dead end (it actually went up into the sky) and I was so bored of just holding down left mouse for 3 hours that (attack, there is no targetting or autoattack, only holding left mouse) I couldn't be bothered figuring out what was wrong and I quit. I wouldn't recommend this game to somebody looking for some D&D fun, and I wouldn't recommend this game to somebody looking for a new MMO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.