1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

O Canada!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 11, 2012.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    LKD, I actually agree with you on the democratic principle of fair representation. However I do resent the gross stereotype that my people are opportunistic lazy people out there to "harmstring democracy" and suck the government money like some sort of vampires.

People with morals what the hell is that suppose to mean ? None Albertan are amoral ? Is that it ? :rolleyes: wow, seriously?

I'm sick of this bloody country If I'm seriously considering emigrating somewhere else, anywhere ! Bah

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ok, let's calm down a little fellas. At this point, I'm not going to point fingers at anyone or say that the rules have been breached.

But now I want to throw out a caution against any ad hominem, and against any stereotyping.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Ahh, heck, I didn't mean to crash the thread by being a douche. I apologize. Let's take the thread back to a more Whatnots vein than an Alleys one. My bad.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I misread and first thought it said "putain" (French curse meaning hooker/****) :lol:

About poutine: It makes me think of the Belgian/Dutch "Patatje Stoofvlees" (fries with "carbonade flamande") and the Rotterdam "Kapsalon".

(Heh! There's a link to poutine on the Kapsalon-wiki.)

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Speaking from personal experience here, I graduated last year from a 4 year (5 year if you include co-op/internship) program with a Bachelor of Mathematics, and excluding housing costs, I was paying under $3,500 per term. Through 8 school terms that comes out to about $28,000 for my degree.

Since I can still log in and check my finance information I decided to pull the exact numbers. Strictly for tuition, over my time in university it cost me $19,283. Adding in all the non-housing related incidentals (such as various student fees, services fees and other junk like that), the total is $27,490, and if you include the terms I was paying for on-campus residence, the total I paid the school was $38,276.

Strictly from a tuition standpoint, the cost per term was as follows

$2,192.00
    $2,280.00
    $2,371.00
    $2,371.00
    $2,466.00
    $550.00 (I was taking one course through distance education while on co-op)
    $2,565.00
    $2,296.00 (only took four courses this term)

6. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

It is interesting to hear the difference in accents from the U.S northern brother and from within our own country. I work with a few Canadians and this past Friday I learned about the zed and zee differences. Another thing that I have learned over the last 6 years as I have worked with mulitple Canadians is it is pro-cess and not proc-ess.

As for within the United States langauge...I live in New England and the usage fo the F-word is quite common and used within the workplace. However, in southern part of the country such langauge is not used and when someone from New Englad drops a f-bomb - those from the south are insulted due to the langauge being used within the work place.

As for me, I have travel from coast to coast within the United States; you don't need to travel overseas or to another country to see the vast change in culture or langauge. Just drive from Maine to New Mexico from New Mexico to California, etc... Simply driving over a state or two and you find enough difference that it may change your point of view about a specific state or region within the United State.

8. Some Guy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Good post!

1) Poutine is routinely mentioned on "Chilly Beach", which is a great Canadian cartoon (where I am in Mich--SE, near Ann Arbor--we get Ch 9 = CBC/Windsor).

2) "They don't talk like people from the US." Well, 2 things: a) they ARE in the British Commonwealth and b) even "we" Americans don't talk like ourselves, if you compare different regions. I called information for a # in TX--when they actually used to connect you with the local ppl--and got a non-understandable native English speaker many yrs ago.

3) Hmmm...don't know, but Toronto IS the "New York of Canada", if you want to think about it that way. And Ontario IS the economic engine of Canada, mostly.

4) I think you have this not completely right. The Canadian news is Canada-centric, as you can see by watching the local news or "The National" (@ 10 PM ET, w/Peter Mansbridge)... Canadians feel that they have a lot to prove & live up to because of both their major ties (to the UK and to US).

5) Loonies & toonies.

6) Yes, hockey/hockey/hockey are their first 3 fav. sports. And that Don Cherry--well, you have to see him. They even have old hockey games, at times, and pre-empt any show to show more hockey. Next MAY be curling; ask about the Furby Four the next time you are there. ;-)

Grew up & now again live in Mich, not too far from Ont/Windsor. When I was growing up, most ppl had a mixture of both American and Canadian change in their pockets, and stores accepted and gave both (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters) until the huge shift of the energy crisis.

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I live in Toronto and deal with people all over the globe in my job, mainly through email. One of our partner companies is American Airlines, which is based in Texas. I had to join a conference call with them once and good lord, I couldn't understand a word that was being said. I felt really bad because this was with people I'd emailed on a near daily basis for months, and the first time actually speaking with them I couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were saying.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.