1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which are you more excited for?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by reepnorp, Mar 16, 2012.

?

Which are you more looking forward to?

1. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Which one are you looking most forward to? I will try out both. I am currently playing classic rsc and world of warcraft, meh.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The first one for me, it's pretty much single-gamedly (heh) responsible for the creation & existence of Sorcerer's Place. I don't make it much of a secret around here that I prefer the original either. BG2 was way too cramped for me, with everyone and their grandmother wanting you to be their saviour and little freedom of exploration - you can't go 10 feet in any direction without bumping into a quest. I loved the exploration aspect of BG1 and I just hope that Oster & Co. don't stuff in a bunch of filler material into the more open areas. That'd just kill it for me.

I just want to play the original again, just in a proper interface for 2012. The inclusion of everything from ToB will already change the original way too much for my liking (call me a purist...). Ideally there'd be a switch to turn all the new stuff off to be able to enjoy both the original and the "enhanced" experiences separately. How about it, Trent?

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, same here. I like to wander around with a party and find something; I don't like islands of interest that you travel to and from instantly so much. I like things out there that you don't have to find; it makes finding them so much more interesting.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    * Puts the fuddy duddy hat on

Yeah, me too. BG1 was way more interesting from a RPG perspective for me.

Heya reepnorp, long time.

5. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The first one - not because it's a better game (I don't think it is personally), but because it'll most benefit from a remake. Right now we have to decide between BG1 and BG1Tutu, the first having graphical glitches, slow movement speed and various frustrations, and the second being kind of a hack and having its own inconsistensies. BGEE is a much-needed remake. I'm excited for Bg2EE as well but it's not as urgently needed.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I can't vote in this poll because I'm hoping for both equally. BG2 has always been my favorite, but in this case I'm looking forward to going through the entire enhanced series, and expect that I will enjoy all of it will near equal vigor.

So for me this is akin to asking which of my sons I love most.

hwlrmnky likes this.
  7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Exactly - I loved that discovery part of BG1. It felt way more true to life than the design of BG2.

8. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You guys make some damn good points. It's definitely true that BG2, both SoA and ToB felt pretty linear from start to finish, the only real exception being the part after escaping from Irenicus at the start. They always had the dreaded "I hope I didn't forget anything, because I won't be able to come back for quite a while" part that I cannot stand in games.

On an unrelated note, I would be so happy if they worked in your BG1 end-game group into the start of SoA. For various plot reasons they can't really do this (first one that comes to mind would be Quayle somehow being the ringleader of a circus while accompanying you somehow), but I still think it would be pretty cool.

Oh, and a way more obvious conflict would be if you didn't have Imoen at the end of BG1... How was that not the first thing I thought of?

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm excited for both, obviously, but more excited for BG1.

I borrowed the game from Frosty all those years ago and fell in complete, unconditional love.

And it desperately needs an update!

I love how both are going to be updated - hoping to the same standard - to make the game more seamless. I also hope they bring a bit of the expanse and desolation back to BG2.

Also hoping they sort out the damn BG2 map... Seriously, since I found the 'real' map of the area in a AD&D book it's actually really bugged me how mixed around it is.

10. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I must be one of the only people that never cared for BG1. I think I played through it once. The Iron Throne storyline was interesting, but I didnt find Sarevok as convincing and menacing a villain as Irenicus.

I also really enjoy the variety of locations that BG2 has, such as the lower planes, the Underdark, as well as the variety of enemies, such as dragons, demons, beholders, mind flayers, etc. A BG1 level party would simply not be strong enough to take on the majority of those.

I enjoyed wandering around the countryside of BG1 for a bit, finding different things, but never found the experience more compelling than that of BG2. BG2 just feels so much more polished, so much more... complete.

Harbourboy likes this.
  11. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

Voted for BGEE.

They are both great games, but I feel BG2 has aged much better than BG1. Hence the remake will hopefully make BG1 both more fun (if that is indeed possible) and easier on the eyes as well.

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I voted BGEE. I couldn't get ToTSC to work on my machines and BG itself had so many graphical and technical problems that I never got very far before giving up. Hopefully the Enhanced Edition can fix that.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    FYI, it'll be possible to play the original games without new content, as it can be ignored, Oster just confirmed.

14. Solaufein Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. I look forward to that using the ToB like version of the game engine.

15. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I'm just so stoked for both of them, can't decide which one I'd like better.

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What is this? An official thing? Or someones attempt at re-jazzing the games with a new graphics engines, almost alá the Dragon Age mod?

17. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Um, Barmy, try checking the news on this board. :p It will answer your questions.

Quick version, it's an official enhancement of BG and BG2, sponsered by WotC and Atari, made by many of the original game developers.

18. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think BG1 is the game that would benefit the most from this treatment. Its was really lacking when it came to party interaction, and all that. Plus I have noticed that its getting more and more "buggy", over the year, as i try to play it on newer systems.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I found Baldur's Gate to be almost unplayable due to the crappy interface and the silly graphics of your characters scuttling across the screen like hyperactive crabs.

So from that point of view, I guess if something came along to improve that, it would be cool.

But I don't get why you guys love the 'exploration' aspect of the game so much. Surely you all know every inch of the game already so any aimless exploration must be a bit pointless now, surely?

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Those who've been replaying the BG games for the last dozen years are mostly BG2 fans. I think BG1 is primarily the favourite between those of us who consider 3 playthroughs a lot (as opposed to 300...).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.