1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3 - Ammo and caps

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by joacqin, Jan 13, 2009.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I decided to play a stealth and energy weapon based character and it is working out decently. My main problem is ammunition though, I find myself lugging around pretty much one of every kind of weapon just to always have something to shoot and when I do not have ammor for my laser pistol or rifle I end up taking loads of damage and use up all my stimpaks. I just reached Rivet City and they had quite a lot of ammo in stock there so I pretty much spent all my caps on cells for my laser pistol and rifle. Was that stupid? I know you are supposed to have limited ammo and I do enjoy the fact that I can't just shoot with wild abandon but actually only being able to use the weapons I have skillpoints in half the time is getting a bit annoying. Should I just continue to spend all my money on ammo or will the situation improve further into the game?

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The situation will improve a lot; especially if you pick the Scrounger perk. But go ahead and use your caps on ammo since it'll probably take a while for things to turn around in your favor, and you won't have much else worth using them on anyways (at least if you have a good repair skill and won't have to throw money down that drain).

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bah, repair skill is kinda pointless. I need to find weapons to be able to repair the ones I have and I can't say there are too many laser pistols or laser rifles laying around. I have sunk a lot already into repair so I will continue to do so but the extreme rate of weapon attrition is getting on my nerves as well. I should have picked small arms instead of energy weapons. :(

I do have the scrounger perk, I find loads and loads of 5.56mm ammo and other non energy based ammunition.

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    nope, not until end-game.

There's a certain plasma riffle available in Rivet City which is 100% repaired and will practically last you ages however ;). Only problem is, though, that microfusion cells are even rarer than regular energy cells :(.

You should yeh :(

Yeah energy cells aren't all that common during early-to-mid game.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Repaired weapons are worth more caps. If you repair the things you do not use and sell, one pays more putting less pressure on the weight restriction.

6. joacqin

Media:
    About that plasma rifle, I did some research and well I have finished that quest line. I finished the questline by convincing Metzer or whatever the guy in Rivet City is called who is looking for the android is called that I had killed the android already and showed him some part. Can I still talk to Harkett and get the rifle or maybe pickpocket or even outright assassination?

7. olimikrig

Media:
    Hmmm I don't really know. I doubt a pickpocket would be possible, but it's worth a shot. Assassination might be difficult due to the fact that he is in such a crowded place, but then again. It might still be possible to go to the ripped off part of the ship. retrieve the info on Harkett from Dr. what's-his-name and use it to re-activate his memory and thus get the riffle. This is all shots in the dark though, I don't know.

8. joacqin

Media:
    He does not carry the rifle around, oh well. I am going to play this my first game out the way it happens. I have yet to pick up any follower. I met Dogmeat, he joined me, he ran away to never be seen again. He is not outside Vault 101. I think he spent all of 30s in my party, as soon as I started moving he couldn't keep up until he wasn't there anymore when I turned around.

9. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i had the same problem with my energy guy, though i had a lot of money because i had a high repair skill.

and don't forget that the higher the dammage your weapon has the less ammo you use

there is also a neat wazer wiffle to be found in little lamplight

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.