1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Imoen good enough for ToB?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Archer14, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Are Imoen's theiveing skills good enough to get though TOB. I just mean her lockpicking and detect traps abilities. I am going to use Edwin as my mage because he's got 18 intelegence but I need a thief too. I dont want to use Jan because I want Imoen in my party and 3 mages and 2 theives are two many.

2. Xirev Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I might be wrong, but I THINK ( - and someone correct me if I'm wrong, please - ) Imoen's thief skills will never increase from what they currently are.

I also think that her skills will be more than enough. I never really used her as a mage, but then again, I never really used her for her thief skills either. I don't really know what I used her for...

But back to the point, her [thief] abilities are probably enough to suffice. Edwin is a better choice as a mage, just because he's Edwin Odeisseron.. just ask him. :grin:

Hope I helped.

[This message has been edited by Xirev (edited June 05, 2002).]

3. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You can increase her (really bad) thieving skills with items that enhance these abilities (Amulet of Master Harper, Ring of Danger Sense, Gloves of PickPocketing etc.) And also before trying to steal something, use a couple Potions of Master Thievery.

And yes there is no problem getting through ToB with her thieving skills (and a little help from the above items).

4. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I open up Shadowkeeper and just convert her to a pure thief. There are much better mages in the game but no good thieves.

5. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] NALIA is a good thief. NALIA is a good mage. I never used Imoen or Edwin in TOB, because Nalia copuld do what they could do, and most of it she did better. (well ok maybe Edwin is a better mage, but I disliked his caracter :))

Does this answer your question?

6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] What kind of lazy s.o.b. are you? "Imoen" as the only topic header? That's useless! :flaming:

[Let's remedy that, shall we?] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited June 05, 2002).]

7. Xirev Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You're probably right about Nalia being a better mage, but wrong about her being a better thief, at least in the areas that Archer is needing. Check these stats.. I'll only go with Open Locks and Find Traps because that's all you really need throughout the game. You can never really pick-pocket any GOOD items.

Imoen
    Open Locks: 70
    Find Traps: 75

Nalia
    Open Locks: 35
    Find Traps: 70

I never used Nalia long enough to find out how her mage skills were, but neither her nor Imoen have any good thieving skills to get up and cheer over. :(

8. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Thank you. So with the items I shouldnt realy have a problem.
    And Nalia is NOT a good theif at all. She cant even get through he own home with the skills she has. SleepleSS, I don't see how you think she is a good theif unless you brought her skills up by cheating. And I think Edwin is funny.
    And your a little bit hostile there arn't you Earl Grey. But I should have made a better topic header. No reason to get mad though.:rolleyes: sheesh

9. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Well I think shadow keeper must have made a move over her thieving skills then...

I did use it once early in the game so it could be possible....

But if she travels with you for a long time she gets higher skills, and climbs to over 100% at all thieving skills, isn't she? and since I created monster to fight against when I was bored, that could have leveld her up more quickly than what is possible in a real game...

10. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

A dual classed thief/mage can't increase their thief skills, so you must've cheated.

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Imoen is extremely useful in TOB. The advantage to the dual class Thief/Mage is the ability to use a bow. She makes an excellent archer.

Sleeless, no she does not get additional thieving skills. Those skills are acquired by leveling up as a thief. Since she is dual classed, she cannot level up as a thief anymore.

12. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I just think of Imoen as a really good mage who can wear bladesinger chain and has two additional skills of finding traps and unlocking doors (and if she misses a couple of traps so what?).

Oh yes. And the bow - good with that one with unlimited arrows.

13. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] hmmm... I shall start a new game then and check her skills again. Maybe I was just lucky all the time...

But about this dual class thing, why is it that she can become a better mage, but not a better thief? I mean why can't you choose witch class you like to "upgrade".

Speaking aboud cheating: If you use the console to spawn Alora or Safana (From BG1) and then use shadowkeeper on them to make them fighter/thief instead of thief. Than the do level up as a thief but not as a fighter, is this for the same reason as the mage/thief buisness?

14. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Because when you dual-class, you effectively become a new class, but retain your old abilities. So it's not a thief/mage (or whatever), but a mage with thief skills. Only multi-classes (non-humans) increase both their classes.

15. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] So that's why it did work for my half elf Fighter-Mage! Now I get it! Wait a sec...

Nalia:
    Thief level 5
    Open Locks: 95
    Detecting traps: 110
    Pick pocketing: 35
    Move Silently: 20

This is not possible withoud sheeting? (This are her stats at the beginning of TOB after I draged her trough my SOA game...

16. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

With items those are possible scores. What are the base ones?

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    [​IMG] Everything about Imoen sucks! Any NPC theif sucks. Multi-class your PC as a theif, and you'll do just fine. That way, there are less NPCs in your group, and everyone gets more XP. :D :rolling:

18. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

But in that case you'll have room for one more buff npc, and when you take him/her, the party will actually receive less xp...

19. Person_Persival Banned

Imoen huh, Whats the deal with everyone wanting to play 'good'. If you ask me its really strange, there are always probs or restrictions you must have when playing good, but none when playing EVIL, or even neutral. Edwin is by far the best mage, I mean +3spells per lvl is just practicly rigged, Plus youll notice having an evil party (or neutral) is much more fun, and funny (Love edwin and korgan!)

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    But if you play evil, don't you have to pay more at stores, constantly pestered by authorities, and worry about good party members (Keldorn, Minsc) leaving? I just don't see the advantages of playing an evil PC. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.