1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling 115

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  2. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    LOL, yes, I don't know how many pencils I broke in blind fury in the flying missions... :lol:

ION, damn weather!!!! It's 13 degrees when I wake up. I'm shivering so much I feel like I'm dancing. Then, it gets to 30 degrees in the afternoon. After I come home from the dog walk, I'm sweating so much I leave a trail on the ground. And then the next morning is freezing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    That's one thing I don't like about Celsius - the range is too narrow to be effectively descriptive. (30 is boiling hot, 13 is very cold, etc.). At least with fahrenheit there's a viable range of maybe 140 degrees.

The worst thing about the GTA:SA flying missions was that you couldn't skip them. You could spend the rest of all eternity carjacking people and buying prostitutes within the game world though, if you wanted. But the story progression stopped COLD. Yay for 'open world' game design.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wha? Celsius is too narrow to be effectively descriptive? That's the oddest thing I've heard this year. Kinda like saying water boiling level should be at least 500 to be warm enough. :shake: More like Fahrenheit operates on a needlessly stretched scale.

5. Gaear

Media:
    Nah, fahrenheit's just right (if admittedly arbitrary). The only thing I really know about celsius is that 0 is freezing, and now Triactus comes along and says that 13 is cold and 30 (only 17 greater) is hot. That doesn't leave much wiggle room. ;)

Maybe we should condense the number of hours/minutes in a day because that would be more informative too and we don't really need all those minutes and seconds. Maybe 3 could be early and 7 could be late. :D

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Celsius is based on water states. 0 is the freezing point of water, 100 is the boiling point.

Hardly difficult :p

Jack Funk likes this.
  7. Gaear

Media:
    8, will you stop being reasonable for once in your life?!? ;)

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

13 Celsius isn't really that cold; it's about perfect temp for me. Don't know why Triactus is unhappy with it.

ION, I have a cold and feel like crap.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Unlike with the time where you need it to be that precise, there really isn't that much difference between 12 or 13 or even 14 degrees Celsius as far as human perception goes. Since we almost never bother even using halves of degrees, I think it's more than descriptive enough... but if for some reason you need to specify exactly 12,56 degrees, you can do so...

10. Triactus

Media:
    Oh, 13 is fine... in spring after winter. But when the temp is always between 30 and 40 with high humidity, that you're sweating bullets, and it's 13 when you wake up, yeah, you feel like you're in Siberia... ;)

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The snow's mostly gone, now - but it was an epic 30 ~ 40 cm. For the record, it's apparently a mild 4.8 degrees outside. Fine chill. :p

Also, 13 is cold? wtf? We have regular 13's here in spring and even summer months...

12. Triactus

Media:
    Like I said, all a matter of being used to a temperature. In spring when it's 13, it feels really hot. But when it's 30-40 something with a reeeeeeeeeally high humidity (just lying on you're back is enough activity to make you sweat) and when you wake up in the morning it's 13, it's takes you about an hour to stop shivering.

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Gah, I love my cat, well, my mother's cat actually, dearly. What I do not like is being compelled into keeping him for the 11 days of her holiday, with my bloody sister cheating herself out of sharing that responsibility, by spontaneously booking a holiday herself. Being a teacher, it isn't as if she didn't have some leeway in choosing a time for that. That was totally deliberate on her part.

And there is not really an alternative to staying in my mother's place for the 11 days, since my mother's cat is an asylum cat, and changes in his environment freak him out. Also, I am not allowed to keep animals in my place, so I can't take him here.

Meh.

14. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I hate dissertation month. That is all.

15. Triactus

Media:
    I just had a evening celebration after work because the contract of two workers in our section ended today. We had quite a few drinks and I am quite tipsy... :) And, one guy who was with us is russian. We were talking about Star Trek and another guy said the russian is like Picard. I said "Noooo, he's Chekov!". The russian just looked at me. I thought he was gonna hit me... turns out he hadn't watched the originals and just didn't know who Chekov was... :lol:

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Does anyone else find it odd that, even though gold is trading at an all-time high, the cost in gold to buy anything from merchants in BG2 is still the same as it was when the game first came out?

17. Triactus

Media:
    Wow... weirdest thing just happened. I'm at work trying to edit a video. There's a shot where we see a sheet of paper, with the company name, on a giant box. I was told to take the first half of the name ("Boutique") out of there because the company modified the name.

So ok, no problem. I made a still, went into photoshop and edited the first part out. I exported the still out and re-imported it into my edit. After taking out the video and putting a 4 second still in there, I notice that the first three frames of the still contain "Boutique", but not the rest. Oooookay. I cut off the first three frames because the rest was okay. I look at it, and the first three frames that were previously okay now have "Boutique"... wtf? I try again, same thing. I delete and reimport the still, same thing. I go into the still in photoshop, and notice "Boutique" is not in any layer. Oookay. I go into my edit, and the previous video is not there, so it's not reading anything else. When I take out the still and put nothing, it's only black. Ooookay. Must be a cache thing I guess. Closed the edit program, still there. Restarted the computer, still there. I tried with another jpeg (of a fat squirrel actually). The first three frames have "Boutique" and now at two different places in the still... uhhhh.... I started a new project, imported the video and the still, and now it's alright...

The moral of this story : Ghosts can haunt computers too... :mommy:

18. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I just found out a girl I had a crush on in high school got married yesterday. The sad part is that I found out about that via a friend's Facebook update...

Should I have connected the dots from the fact she was engaged, they were both in Bulgaria (they don't live here normally) and that friends had mentioned going to a wedding? Maybe.

19. Gaear

Media:
    @Triactus - that's disturbing. Are you using Premier (Adobe)?

20. Triactus

Media:
    Yep (Premier Pro CS5). I guess when we think "weird problem", we think Premier... :lol: I have begged my bosses for a Mac and Final Cut. Hope I will be lucky in the near future... After having worked with Premier (including Premier 6 way back in the days), Pinnacle Studio, Avid and Final Cut, my preference is Final Cut by a mile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.