1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Any redeeming qualities to this game?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by damedog, Jan 16, 2012.

1. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

I bought POR a few days ago, and haven't had the chance to play it but i've read a couple reviews. It seems this game is universally hated. Before I waste precious time on a bore-fest, is there anything worthwhile here?

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I can`t really think of any good qualities in this game.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To quote myself:

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I love quoting myself, too. For example:

See?

:p

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    looks like I dodged a bullet with this one, I bought it a couple of years ago, I wanted Icewind dale but the store didnt have it, when I got it home, there was nothing in the box, I took it back and was told they couldnt find it, so I walked out with Torment instead...

worked out well.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I didn't think it was that bad. I grew up with The Bard's Tale and the Gold Box games, and I don't see the "featureless, colorless dungeon" as being all that different. Still, I'd have expected more variety in the graphics from a more modern game.

I loved "the Bard's Tale" and its' sequel "The Destiny Knight", and I'd say that those games were even more featureless than Por2.
    The main issue is that the dungeons aren't much more detailed than the original Pool of Radiance game, although the graphics are still much improved.

I'm probably one of the rare few that actually liked it, but I'll admit that it wasn't as good as other games out at the same time. My main complaints were the lack of ability to choose your own skills and feats, and the lack of documentation on which feats/skills would be automatically selected. If they aren't going to let you choose, they should show you what would be picked as the feats become essentially no different than class features.
    Oh, also the combat against the grunts did tend to drag on and on, and made you wish there was a way to speed up the enemies' turns while still giving you all the time you wanted to act.
    The bugs didn't hit me that badly after I fully patched the game. Maybe it just works better under Windows 98SE than under an NT-based OS like XP, Vista, or 7.

I also found the battle timer where you had a certain amount of time to act or lose your turn stupid and useless given that enemies are NEVER affected by this.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  7. Skellimancer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am still miffed at the butchered Rogue class.

The type of game that would benefit from stealth and they don't even bother to add it. :rolleyes:

8. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

What are The Bards Tale and Destiny Knight?

I've played this game once (with the speed mod, god they walk slow) and I had fun for an hour but wasn't entertained enough to try again.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

An old school RPG series. Good stuff back then, though lacking by today's standards.

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    the full title was The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight.
    They were games released in the late 1980s for multiple platforms. I played the Apple IIGS version of them, a re-release with improved graphics and sound, making it one of the best versions. The Apple IIe version had MUCH worse graphics and sound than the Apple IIGS version or even the MS-DOS version. I'd say the MS-DOS version is somewhere in between the IIe and the IIGS judging from the screenshots.

Those games are largely responsible for my lifelong addiction to RPGs. The Bard's Tale, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Final Fantasy Legend II for the Game Boy. Funny thing, I played CotAB and FFLII before playing their respective original games (Pool of Radiance and Final Fantasy Legend I). Mostly because they were gifts. Of course, if you like Bard's Tale, you should try the original Wizardry games. Grandaddy of all such games of that type. The Bard's Tale is very similar to Wizardry in gameplay. Although Wizardry is more primitive in every respect due to far more limited technology.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/appleii/564324-the-bards-tale-ii-the-destiny-knight
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/bards-tale-ii-the-destiny-knight

http://www.mobygames.com/game/tales-of-the-unknown-volume-i-the-bards-tale
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/appleii/564328-the-bards-tale

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  11. hrothmund Gems: 1/31

I rather enjoyed it.

It did have its flaws -- even after being fully patched, it still tended to lock up and random spots, necessitating frequent saves. Then there's the dungeon crawls -- you start out in this nice outdoor area, and you can see a wider world but not get to it. Then you have to go through a dungeon, which has four huge levels and takes forever to clear, before you get outside again. You break out to a wider outside area which is nice, but then you have to go into *yet another dungeon* pretty soon. That sucked!

Despite its warts, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It had good art in places, good music all around, and good ambiance. It was the first game I played that used surround sound for ambiance, and it was nice. The long stretches of boring monotony were occasionally broken by scenes that were actually rather beautiful -- and they seemed the more beautiful because of the prior monotony. I was sustained through the monotonous bits by my enjoyment of the tactical combat -- that's something you don't really get from other isometric RPGs. "Temple of Elemental Evil" had the same kind of dynamic, but it just didn't engage me the way POR:ROMD did.

12. IdaGno Gems: 1/31

You're doing it wrong.

Man, I could write a small book about why this is my fav CRPG, but I will spare you that tedium. (Yup. Brown is my fav color!)

Current Wrecking Crew:

Cleric/Fighter (Human)
    Ranger/Rogue (Halfling))
    Rogue/Sorcerer (Halfling)
    Monk/Rogue (Human)
    Sorcerer/Rogue (Jarial)
    Fighter/yet-to-be-determined (Emmeric)

the Rogue's back-stab feat makes even the seemingly weakest & lightly armored of characters stunningly efficient killing machines :p

first few times thru the game were extremely difficult due to poor character builds & equipping ineptitude, but once you get that down, it's Hello Kitty Island 101 :)

13. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Why cleric/fighter instead of cleric/paladin?

14. IdaGno Gems: 1/31

cuz I aint that smart! :)

many character builds yet to try!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.