1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Erod, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

It's just Oblivion with guns. It physically pains me to play this game sometimes. I just imagine that I'm playing Oblivion: 3000 years later. The repetition of the enemies and the complete lack of dialogue depth makes me sad. :(

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I thought of opening a new thread for this, but this topic seems suitable as well for my question.

I was just in a store and looked at the requirements that Fallout 3 has on the back of the box. It had a rather lengthy bit about Games for Windows - Live on it. Now, I despise having to make an account anywhere for the sake of just playing a game, so I wanted to ask whether or not this GfW-L account thing is required to play Fallout 3, or that it's maybe only required for online play (in which case I can get away with not making an account at all, as I don't play online anyway).

Can someone here answer this for me?

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

It's not required. I have one anyway for my 360, so I use it for the achievements, but you don't need one to play.

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It isn't required during the installation either? I have this rule against games that require online activity during installlation, or games that require a connection to the internet in order to play (excluding multiplayer, of course), in that I pertinently don't buy those games. Hence this point is of critical importance in deciding whether or not I will at some point purchase Fallout 3

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    No it isn't, F3 is very user friendly in that respect (you don't even need the DVD in the drive to play the game).

6. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

My installation requires the DVD to be in the drive to play the game. I don't recall there being multiple installations; and if there were, I'd have picked "Full Installation".

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heck, it does not even ask you where you want to install it. It just installs itself in the default folder no questions asked. I also have to have the disc in the drive something I am not fond due to sheer lazyness. Because of that I tend to get cracked exes even for games I have bought.

8. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I definitely have a problem with the updates on the PC version though. Everytime I install an update, I can't load any games played under the old version. When I update the game, I have to start all over again... every time! This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to update but I find Fallout3 VERY unstable and hope against hope that an update will allow more than ten minutes of playtime before crashing.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    It never crashes for me, but since I've downloaded all the DLCs (Op Alaska, Pitt, and Broken Steel), the game locks up my pc whenever I try to exit the game.

10. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

I finally got around to buying it (I waited for it to come down in price, to be honest...and after buying my new PC in Feb I had a few other games to get through, like Oblivion and Mass Effect). Like it so far. I think Bethesda did a good job of translating the Fallout world to modern graphics. But, like Oblivion, it does fall over occassionally. I actually had to abandon Oblivion because the crashing got so bad. I played with the first character, no problem, and finished the main storyline, but on my second character I did a lot more and then started getting a lot of CTDs. I hope that isn't the case here.
    I have not tried the DLC - it seems it will be released as a datadisk in the UK in the near future and I would rather have it in that format. I'm not that trusting of DLC to be honest.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I never had crashing problems with Oblivion, but Fallout 3 crashes on me every 15 minutes or so (often when I bust out the Pip Boy, or enter VATS). I purchased it via Steam download (they ran a 50% off special on 4th of July weekend, so I got it for $25), so I don't have any discs, and I don't know what version of the game it is (though I would assume it's the latest patch, considering the format). I'm going to download the latest patch anyway, update all drivers (even though I did so recently) and finally get around to buying more RAM, see if that helps.

But I LOVE this game. I'm only to Megaton and already I'm more excited about this game than I've been in a long time.

12. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Yeah, it's possible it's down to needing a patch.
    I've had one CTD in VATS and a couple on exiting the game (this happened in Oblivion as well). The worst was a complete lock-up which meant I had to hit the reset button. But (tough wood) it's been fairly stable so far.
    I've got my own tin shack in Megaton now and a few nice weapons, but am constantly running out of ammo. That's the annoying thing - having to carry around a small arsenal in order to make sure I have something I can use if the ammo on my favourite gun runs out. Of course, if you go 100% melee, that's not an issue. But in Fallout, guns are cool.

13. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Check the version of patch you have I had similar issues when I first got the game and then realised it was crazily out of date patch wise and then the crazy crashing fits stopped and all was happy in the waste land again... well kinda *evil snigger*

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just updated my nVidia drivers, Realtek sound drivers, patched to v1.6, and upgraded from 1 to 3gb of RAM. That seems to have done the trick, though I don't know which one of those was the magic pill. :)

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Did the same thing, installed every patch and driver I could find. But once I updated my Nvidia drivers, that seemed to do the trick. At least, I played for about 2 hours last night with no crashing...WhooHoo!

16. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

After reading this thread recently decided to have a dig at a bit more or a diplomatic build with having a CHA of 9 to start off with. It actually suprised me how much it opens the game up with extra dialogue in comparison to other titles.

17. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yes, that seems to be the case. I always play do-gooder characters, so the "dropping charisma and telling everyone to eat it" style of play never works for me. I'm level 8 right now, my speech is around 30 and my charisma is at either 6 or 7. I do okay in conversations, but they always seem to fail when I need them the most (it's rare when my success percentage is above 50%). I think in my next run-through, I'll bump that up quite a bit more. I've missed out on better rewards fairly often, and while the game is still playable, I'm a "squeeze every drop" kind of player, and hate the thought that I've missed out on something.

I'm near 50 in both Small Guns and Energy Weapons, and I don't know if I see the need for big guns at this point, at least not with this build (I'm more of a sneaky/sniping type).

EDIT: By the way, I've not had a single crash (or even slowdown) since the hardware and software updates. Game runs like buttah.

18. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

Glad to hear your running smoothly now.

On another note I noticed how well Perception helps out in the open field for checking for nearby enemies, I normally have Perception at 9 but I almost halved it this time round and have found how often enemies can sneak up on you, I'm constantly checking my six when I run through the wastes!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.