1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gamers Get Girls?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, May 4, 2012.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah yes, it's probably like that. Which means that if most or all that you have was earned after you started living with your girlfriend, it's more or less the same as being married in the case of a split.

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Do you have some kind of a license saying you've got a girlfriend, or do they just go by residence records? If so, what if you are just living with somebody? And are there contracts involved, or how do they enforce these payouts?

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, if you want you can get the lawyers involved but generally "they" hope that people can get along. You can probably dispute what kind of relationship you have had and I know people have done so but then it is time for the court.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I was thinking the same thing. How do they differentiate between two people living together as a couple, versus two people who share a flat as roommates? I know countless people who had roommates over the years, and the only reason they are living under the same roof is to be able to afford the rent. Their finances are completely separate apart from the rent, and it was my understanding that the one person doesn't owe the other person anything.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This all comes up during the course of a legal battle. Naturally a room-mate would have a hard time claiming partnership with any kind of credibility if there was nothing to corroborate that claim. Like, say, sleeping in the same bed and not having 2 separate bedrooms for starters. Continuing with the monetary arrangements (i.e. how the bills are paid), joint property ownership, witness statements from friends/family who would know whether someone was "just" a room-mate for 10 years or in a relationship with someone, etc.

A room-mate wouldn't get involved in a court case by default anyway. Not unless they tried to pull a scam but given the above I find it very hard to believe that they'd have any success. This all usually comes into play when two people have kids together, which is another pretty obvious giveaway of a relationship. And when custody and child support payments also need to be established.

Plus, room-mate-only arrangements here are very rare unless we're talking about students or young people, in which case usually more than 2 are living in the same flat/building together.

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Thanks for the info. I guess I didn't imagine it would be roomates fraudulently trying to claim that a roomate was a lover, but lovers fraudulently trying to claim that they were only roomates when it came time to even out the finances and make payouts. That sounds like it could still be dodgy, like if you were living in a two bedroom apartment and didn't have a joint checking account or any shared property and if Susie could produce two witnesses that said Johnny was her lover but Johnny could produce two witnesses that said he wasn't. Johnny could also say sure he paid half the phone bill - because they were roomates. That's why it would seem like contracts were necessary, as it makes that kind of stuff much easier to enforce.

I hear you about roomate scenarios being rare as well, it's just a bit hard to comprehend because in the states there are probably millions of people in such arrangements. Also, who finances the court battles? I would think (again within my perspective) that more often than not, the people in these arrangements would not be terribly well off and able to afford attorneys.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, yes, obviously if they have children it is safe to say they were in a relationship - at least for a time.

While they sound less common there than here in the US, it is true here as well that generally you are talking about younger people. For example, I don't know anyone around my age who still lives with a roommate. When I say I know countless examples they all involved people under the age of 30.

And yes, frequently you see more than 2. Although from my friends who have done that, the reason you see more than 2 is that it is generally cheaper to find a 3 bedroom apartment and split the rent 3 ways than a 2 bedroom apartment and split the rent in half. The other bonus to a 3 bedroom model is that there is generally a larger common area in the downstairs. (Usually all the bedrooms are upstairs.)

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Gaear, well, everyone has to pay their own attorneys... if they can't afford them, that's just their luck. You only need much legal representation if you get involved in a prolonged court battle anyway. Most people don't go there unless it's absolutely necessary. If you split on good terms and you aren't married, the split is a purely personal arrangement.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Numbers seem irrelevant if you consider you're going for just one target anyway (at which point you don't give a damn how many others are there in the relevant bracket as long as you're sufficiently hooked). On the other hand, practice is more of a ***** than theory, although the average Joe is always doing fine.

To finish off theory, anyway, the more factors you have in your probability equation, the less the chance that nothing will go awry with any of them. One day, I was bored and actually estimated the probablity range. Basically, an UN data file + the law of total probability to make the frequency estimates work together. The outcome wasn't pretty. Just combine two or more low-incidence factors and your pool dwindles rapidly.

That's called a general partnership entered without a written contract. Courts have tried it here too. :p I like it, maybe it'll help eradicate premarital sex!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.