1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Icewind Dale video rendering in Win 7 XP Mode

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by DCD, Jul 22, 2011.

1. DCD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey everyone, it's been years.

I just bought IWD for the first time, and tried to run it in Windows 7, 64 bit (sadly, didn't seem to work very well with multiplayer). There was a ton of problems, Infinity Engine didn't like Windows 7 much.

So I switched to Windows XP Mode, which seemed to work except I can't get the videos to render, and the game crashes.

When trying to play movies, I get crash boxes likes:

I dunno what to do, or what to download. I got the latest Direct X and Service Pack (for Win XP Mode), and I don't think I have any hardware problems. This computer is overkill for even full effect BG2.

Give me some direction. :)

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Infinity Engine games don't work well with newer OS and components. Have you tried disabling 3D acceleration/reducing hardware acceleration?

There are fan-made fixes for this here but results are not guaranteed.

3. gorgon82 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Make sure your video drivers and DirectX are up to date. Disable DEP. Run programs as Administrator without compatability modes. This worked for me for ALL the Infinity Engine games on Windows 7.

4. DCD Gems: 2/31

So just to clarify, are we talking about running IWD under XP Mode, or Windows 7?

I've managed to get IWD working under Virtual Box's emulation of Windows XP and Windows 2000, though I stopped using XP because it heated up my computer pretty quickly. However, my friends will be using XP Mode, so I want to know how to troubleshoot their running woes.

Incidentally, I noticed that my custom sounds (.wav) don't seem to work in IWD. They worked under BG, do I have to convert them to .acm using NI or Team BG tools or something?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, all the IE games use the same wav files for custom soundsets... so it's more likely that your wavs aren't proper wavs...

6. DCD Gems: 2/31

No, that can't be it. If they work in BG and BG2, they should work in IWD as well.

I seem to have fixed the problem by duplicating my files over and over and getting a complete set of files. Apparently, if you're missing anything less than the 32 files to compile the sound set, the game doesn't recognize it as functional. This is different from BG where if one didn't have sounds, it would just play silence where the sound was supposed to be.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.