1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is starting from scratch in HoF fun?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Dr_Asik, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

So yeah basically what the title says. I like having a challenge, but HoF seems like it's going to take 5 minutes per goblin in Easthaven. Is it actually fun? Another similar question is: what do you think is the most fun difficulty level to play at?

Thanks!

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Most fun is normal mode, no spoilers and trying to keep the number of reloads as low as possible.
    Other levels give too much XP and let you level too fast, making the game too easy.

I had fun doing HoF solos from scratch, if you use an imported party it's too easy. You can try a dwarf fighter/cleric, I'm curious if it's possible.

3. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31

Oh you think it's easier on insane because you get twice the xp? Interesting. Yeah I beat the game on normal before, I was looking for more of a challenge, but HoF with a level 1 party just looks painful. My entire party got slain by the first batch of goblins in easthaven, and I think one of them was barely injured in the exchange.

You mean you soloed HoF with a single level 1 character? How do you even kill a single goblin?!

---------- Added 7 hours, 52 minutes and 55 seconds later... ----------

Well I started it anyway, in HoF. Here's my party:

Savorek(:D) - Cleric/Ranger Half-Elf.
    Denerria - Fighter/Mage/Thief Elf.

Savorek starts with proficiency in missile weapons and maces, as maces seem to do the most damage among the weapons he can use. Denerria starts with proficiency in bows and great swords.

I started by killing the bugs which don't attack if you don't melee them. Then I completed all the non-combat quests. By that time Savorek could cast Hold Person. With that and Denerria's Charm Person, we took the goblins one or two at a time, preventing them from fighting at all.

For the wolf quest in Easthaven, Savorek used his Charm Animal which solved the quest immediatly.

Liberal use of incapacitating spells (Hold Person, Charm Person/Animal, Chromatic Orb after a certain level, Entangle, etc) is vital, as well as summons. The level 3 undead summon spell is essential. Overall, I find that the Cleric/Ranger does almost everything - summons, buffs - while Denerria provides solid damage output with her Composite Long Bow, and the occasional Charm and Chromatic Orb.

Right now I'm in the Vale of Shadows and doing fine. We're around level 7 in all classes. Monsters take ages to kill, but it's mainly a matter of patience. The biggest issue is not finding any 3rd or 4th level spells for Denerria. Orrick says we're not worthy yet and maybe later he'll sell better stuff, but we're already ready for it! So this greatly hampers her abilities as she simply has no 3rd and 4th level spells to cast.

I'm not sure I'm going to have the patience to finish this. Every battle takes forever as every monster has in the 100+ hp with very good AC. Paralysis helps drastically (hold person, chromatic orb) in making ennemies die quicker, but it doesn't always work. Leveling up at an insanely fast pace is cool, but the gear and spells aren't following, so it's somewhat broken in that regard.

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

When soloing HoF mode I always started HoW very soon, usually in chapter 1. This way you get powerful weapons and other equipment, many XP and access to high level mage scrolls very fast.

5. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

You could try playing through normal mode with a bunch of mismatched bums :D . I'm currently facing Belhifet with an all-human party of:
    - fallen paladin
    - druid
    - cleric
    - thief
    - bard
    - diviner
    I'm playing on very hard and without the expansion so no war chant of sith, sucky druid spells all around, sucky high level cleric spells, sucky high level mage spells... I get no extra XP for the harder difficulty level so my characters are like over 400 thousand XP away from the XP cap, plus they have horrendous stats. I also don't use max hp on level up, which gives my two tanks a little over 50 HP... If i fail to learn a spell successfully, I don't reload. And so on :D.

6. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31

Interesting! I had just finished chapter 1 and was frustrated by how Dragon's Eye has many, many monsters - main issue in HoF is number of ennemies, if we get swarmed we die. I guess I should take a break from that and pay a visit to Lonelywood then. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.