1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

vBActivity

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You've probably noticed the extra information below your avatars in posts by now, so a bit of explanation is in order. I've installed a forum modification designed to allow members to keep track of their activity, and be rewarded for it. We'll be giving points for many different actions - Posting, Starting threads, Voting, Referrals...

Furthermore, you will get rewarded for creating content which is popular. You'll gain points for every post in a thread you created, points for high thread ratings, for having a good reputation and more!

In essence, this modification is very similar to various in-game achievements made popular in the last few years, the only difference being it applies to our forum and your actions within the community.

This modification is fairly complex and comes with a wide range of settings so don't be surprised if things get switched around quite a bit over the next few days and weeks during the initial implementation stages.

As I'm sure you'll have many questions about this, don't be afraid to ask. ;)

Edit: I see we're having some teething troubles with the past activity not properly showing... I'm looking into this; hopefully we'll have it fixed soon.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Awesome. I think. Actually, I don't really understand. Maybe that's why I have zero points.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Looks interesting, first thing I noticed was having 19 notifications and thinking something had gone horribly wrong :p

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Is there a way to disable this, or at least to remove the achievements post element? Also the activity notification settings do not seem to work.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The zero points issue is currently getting fixed; the first 3500 users should be done by now with the rest following in the next few hours. It's a slow process unfortunately.

Yea, the achievement unlocking is gradual for new users, but the existing members get all the unlocked achievements (up to this point) at once, so the more involved you are here, the more achievements you'll get at once in this initial run. As I'll be adding new achievements, the unlocking will be gradual even for our veteran users. ;)

You can control all your activity settings from the User CP, so this is entirely customizable. However, as I've collapsed both menus below the avatars you don't really gain much by doing so - they're not taking any space now. The achievements display cannot be disabled at the moment.

Which activity notification settings are you referring to?

6. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

These three:

Code:
    User CP
    - Activity
       - Settings
          - Notification Settings
             - Hide Achievements from notifications
             - Hide Trophies from notifications
             - Hide Awards from notifications
    The selection boxes just stay empty. But I am not really sure what they should do either. I assume they mean that you do not get any notifications when you get a achievement/trophy/award. But it did not work that way at least.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    You can't tick the boxes at all? Or you tick and hit Save, but it doesn't save? Which browser are you using?

And yes, they simply disable your receiving a notification about a new achievement etc. on top of the forum pages.

8. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

I can tick them, but after saving they are empty again (and I received notifications after doing this so it is not just a cosmetic problem). Other Activity settings seem to work fine. Opera as the web browser.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Do you have another browser you could try this in by any chance? Or just anywhere else that isn't on Opera...

10. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

Same issue with Firefox 3.6 and rekonq 0.6.1. That is also all the browsers that I can currently test it with.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Looks like a bug then... I'll report it.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Woo, I've got 4 points now!

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Long story but it took a lot of fiddling with the server to get this mod to work properly. It's now running the point update properly and the first 2500 members should have their points displaying properly. The rest will be done in a few hours. Then I'll need to run an achievement rebuild (which will also last a few hours) and THEN we should finally be all set. Getting big boards outfitted with new functions such as this one doesn't always go smoothly I'm afraid.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Erod, the issue you reported has been fixed.

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't been called "fresh meat" in ... well ... almost as long as Splunge. :p

16. Taluntain

Media:
  17. Taluntain

Media:
    OK, we're up to date on everything! Now for some tweaking...

18. Harbourboy

Woohoo 45 points now.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    That's your level actually, the points are above that.

20. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So will we be able to hide the picture achievements in the future? Because they add a lot of extra vertical space to each post. Actually, can we do the same for the mood thing?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.