1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BoM - How do I do X? How does Y work?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Aug 9, 2008.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    LMAO :lol:

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are so many shades of violet/lavender that you could certainly call the post background colour lavender. Viewed at the proper settings, of course.

3. MagicPot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hey, I was only asking a question.
    Lavender is a versatile color with a broad range and many different variants.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
  5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You start off with one green box, and then get an extra box for every 100 rep points you receive.

I have no idea on your second question. How about if we get everyone to give you negative rep and see what happens? :p

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Each "green box" signifies a reputation rank (if you hover the mouse over the boxes, you get a textual description of the rank). The more green boxes, the higher the reputation rank.

From this post:

... the reputation is based on the number of rep points, which give you a different textual description based on the number of points you have. I'll just list a few for starters:

User can only hope to improve (-50)
    User has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-10)
    User is an unknown quantity at this point (0 rep)
    User is on a distinguished road (10)
    User will become famous soon enough (50)
    User has a spectacular aura about (150)
    User is a jewel in the rough (250)
    etc.

There are 7 more ranks beyond that at the moment and it goes up to 2k rep.

Negative reputation to the point of getting a red box certainly is possible, it just hasn't happened here yet. Or potentially it has, but the recipient just turned off the reputation feature in their account, which everyone can do.

7. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well we know the next 2 are "glorious beacon of light" as T2Bruno, Chandos & Splunge are at that point & DR is "just really nice"(ok, who lied to him!?!?) but i'm not sure which is first of those 2 as they all 4 show 5 green boxes?
    What are the other 5 Tal?

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] The reputation levels aren't implemented exactly like it says on that page, but for the most part they're similar. Each new positive reputation level adds another green card.

Here is our own full list (subject to change at any time):

User is infamous around these parts -100
    User can only hope to improve -50
    User has a little shameless behaviour in the past -10
    User is an unknown quantity at this point 0
    User is on a distinguished road 10
    User will become famous soon enough 50
    User has a spectacular aura about 150
    User is a jewel in the rough 250
    User is just really nice 350
    User is a glorious beacon of light 450
    User is a name known to all 550
    User is a splendid one to behold 650
    User has much to be proud of 1000
    User has a brilliant future 1500
    User has a reputation beyond repute 2000

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Chandos?!? WTF?

Well, there's only room for two glorious beacons, and I'm both of them, so time to give out some negative rep...

:evil: :p

(P.S. - j/k, Chandos. To quote Sesame Street, "one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong". And I'm pretty sure that "thing" is me. :(

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Is there any way to get the star wars video to not autoplay on the main page. It can get embarrassing at work as it takes a couple of moments to get going and then I have to scroll down to the post to stop it. I would think all video should have to be clicked to get them to play.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] just put the /forums after typing sorcerers.net you can still check the news through the forum then. The source of the video is what's the problem, to make it click to play only it would need to be grabbed from a site that does that such as youtube. Which at the release of the news was most likely not available there.

13. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

It is annoying indeed as I always jump in via the main page. A link to it would be a much better choice if the alternative is an automatically loading and playing embedded video...

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think someone fixed it.

Nope, it is still doing it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  15. Taluntain

Media:
    I've removed it... apparently whoever coded that over at BioWare hasn't heard that embedded videos shouldn't start on their own.

The Great Snook likes this.
  16. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I still have a question about rep points. What is the reputation power? It doesn't seem linked to the green bars... How does the rep power augment? or is that the number of good rep points we've received...

Ex : Tal has 5 green bars and a blue one. Snook has the same. Yet Tal has 32 rep power, while Snook has 14.

I'm confused... :confused:

17. Kitrax

Media:
    Rep power is calculated by a user's total number of posts, and IIRC, how long they've been here. When that user reps someone, the amount of rep they give (or take away) is equal to their rep power. The colored bars represent how much rep others have given that user, while the rep power # is how much they can give. :thumb:

So try to impress (read: brown nose) people like Tal.... :p

18. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Ahhhhhhh, I see!! Thanks a lot, Kitrax!

So... Tal... my my, you look splendid today! Have you been to the hairdresser recently? :D

19. Taluntain

Media:
  20. Kitrax

Media:
    LMFAO!!! :lol:

If that's all you've got, you're going to be stuck with that single green box for awhile... :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.