1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ads - About & Problem Reports

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, May 14, 2008.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ah, I'll switch them on next time I'm there. Thanks babe

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Anyone else get that Nodiatis (some sort of online RP) ad that I get at the bottom of the page and above this quick reply box? It's not an adult ad, but it does have a lady dressed in loincloth bikini, chained suggestively to a tree. Makes me feel a bit awkward when surfing the site at uni. Probably doesn't qualify for removal but bringing it up anyway.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I see it occasionally... it's passable, but just barely.

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've been getting a lot of those Joshmadecash.com popups and I'm also seeing them embedded in the boards. As far as I can tell this is a scam.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Most of the advertising of that sort is, yes... but is it doing anything on our removal check-list? I've already removed dozens of the ones which automatically play audio...

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just got an ad on the front page offering me a green card to the USA if I could name the president.... that can't be right

7. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Please check the first post in this thread for info on what kind of ads to report; I can't really remove every single ad that is (or seems) off. Only the ones that fit the description in the first post.

8. Silvery

Media:
    Ah, sorry boss

9. Silvery

Media:
    Slightly off topic: I've set my account to block all ads but everytime I come back to the site they are all there, including the pop ups. It's starting to do my head in!

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    When you log on, do you select "Remember Me"? And is your web browser set to delete cookies when you close it?

If cookies are deleted after you leave the site, then the site won't remember you when you return. :)

11. Silvery

Media:
    Nope, the site remembers me, just not my preferences for ads

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Silvery, did you select your ad display level and log in here: http://www.sorcerers.net/index.php#sps_login (on the right side?)

If you're logged in, you should see the number of days left in your account displayed in the same spot.

13. Silvery

Media:
    Yep, did that. It's been doing it for a couple of days but it seems fine today

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Odd... which browser are you using? This is all done via cookies so it basically can't be much else but a cookie issue with your browser in one way or another (some interfering Firefox plugin could be problematic too I guess). If it happens again, please take a screenshot or two (of the login box and any of the ads that you see) as that might help me in figuring out what the problem is.

15. Silvery

Media:
    Will do El Capitano!

It's IE8 I think

16. Taluntain

Media:
    You can see the version in Help/About.

17. Silvery

Media:
    Umm...next dumb Silvery comment:

Logged on this morning, got a pop-up (the smiley central thing I think). Anyway, immediatly that it popped up, my security centre went mental and said that it's found a trojan trying to get in.

That's not good, right?

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Not if it's an actual threat, no... though it's likely a false positive. Could you take a screenshot of it so I could check it out?

19. Silvery

Media:
    Well it's not there now! I clicked on the quarentine thingey!

Plus...How the heck do you take a screen shot? Seriously Tal, I've been on this site for years. You must have noticed I'm incompetant by now!

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, there's about a dozen different ways, but the easiest is probably pressing the Print Screen button (which stores the image of the screen on the clipboard) and then running a graphics program like Paint, pasting the image there (ctrl+v) and then saving it (File -> Save As). Then you can either upload it somewhere or just send it to me via e-mail.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.