1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Erod, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Gametrailers has some high quality gameplay videos from the PAX demo, http://www.gametrailers.com/game/4758.html.

Great to finally see some gameplay action in high quality. The combat does still not feel that good, especially VATS. The exploding cars were silly. The perks are still a big question mark. Difficult to make conclusions from this gameplay demo. But it still feels a bit like Oblivion with guns.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

thx for the trailers man, i still enjoy the old fallout games and all, but this new thing seems pretty good regardless of what they could have done!

i'm still gonna be all over this thing!

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Althought I'm new to the world of Fallout - I'm pretty hooked. Hopefully I'll have 1, 2 & Tactics put away by the time 3 comes out...But I did just put in an order for 3 "Survival Edition."

4. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

you lucky bastard

I also came into fallout late. Played it a few years ago. fallout 1 and 2 are as good as rpgs get

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As a heads up: I understand that, contrary to their PR man's claims only a month ago, Fallout 3 is being shipped with the same SecuRom copy protection as Far Cry 2. This means that you'll get an online verification during installation and a limited number of installs, if you can get it installed at all, that is. And, according to reports, even getting a successful installation doesn't put you in the clear, as the game may suddenly not recognise the DVD in your drive anymore, so the game won't start up.

I guess this means I won't be getting Fallout 3 after all, even if it does turn out to be a fantastic game, as I won't buy games with this kind of copy protection schemes.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

That sucks. I play my games on a comp I don`t have anywhere near an internet conection. Got fed up with all the spyware and crap, that slows the comp down. Bought the comp in 2006, and its still as good as new :)

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That's just insane. I hate these protections, when you buy a new game for 60 euros you should be able to play it without the internet and you should be able to install it on another PC. Having the DVD in the drive should be enough. I'm starting to reconsider even buying the game. Back to Fallout 2 I guess. :nuts:

8. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The SecuROM is only used to make sure the CD is in the drive. They don't use any limited install or online verification stuff. Doesn't even use a CD key, which makes a nice change.

9. Caradhras

Media:
    Did you buy the game or is it an educated guess?

10. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If Bethesda is saying that they haven't got online verification and a limited number of installs, I guess they actually did tone down the copy protection intrusion from SecuRom. That doesn't change the fact that some people still have reported that they're having trouble getting their game to run.

The solution is pretty easy, apparently, as you've only got to disable disc emulation programs - which includes any burning programs like Nero - by disabling their services and rebooting. So does this mean that if you intend to play Fallout 3 you can't use this kind of software in the same session?

It appears that not everyone is having these issues with disc emulation programs (like Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%), and this is indeed less intrusive when compared to other recent games (Far Cry 2, several recent and upcoming EA releases), but it still seems unacceptable to me that the copy protection of all things is causing such buggy behaviour in a game.

12. Caradhras

Media:
  13. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I got my survival edition copy in the mail today - with pip boy alarm clock, lunch box, and all! I'm paintining my guestroom and upstairs hall this week - I hope to load it before next weekend...

I still haven't finished F2 or Tactics, but I may jump to F3 because it looks so cool!

14. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    This pisses me off. If you want Fallout 2, GO PLAY FALLOUT 2. A company shouldn't sacrifice profits to please a bunch of obsessive fanboys. Games change, it's called progress. If you don't like it, don't buy the game, but for the love of god, don't complain about it to other people who really enjoy it.

15. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I couldn't wait, and loaded it last night. It's pretty fun! Character creation takes like an hour though...But it gets you into the game!

16. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Got it last weekend.

Its great so far, I enjoy roaming the wasteland, killing raiders etc. I dont think it will appeal to hardcore RPG fans - I dont think the RPGness is deep enough for that. But it does offer a wide variety of possible characters, lots of replay value, a huge world to explore, VATS works great, and the story so far is decent.

I'm not sure how it compares to past fall out titles, since I've never played those, but I think its good so far.

17. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Honestly I've got to say this is a fun game, even though there are some parts that remind you the engine came from Oblivion.

Raiders are fun, the perks are cool, the world is amazingly well made and the main story has enough twists to keep you interested. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to fry some Raiders with hot plasma :D

18. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

The game is very fun and I've started changing my attitude about FPSout to VATSout... Slow-mo murder and mayhem is just plain awesome.

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So far so good. I liked the way Oblivion did things.

20. Caradhras

Media:
    I've been playing the game for 12 hours and it's great. Reminded me of Call of Duty Modern Warfare (weapons and the Chernobyl part) and Vampire Bloodlines (blood and gore). The atmosphere is great and it's very violent (too much? The 18 thing is well deserved and I would think twice before letting my little brother play that game).

Fallout 3 has everything that was good in Oblivion (guns are much better than swords in an FPS) without the bad tings (the worst being the inane dialogue system) but with the Fallout touch (depth, complexity, good dialogues and quests that you can accept and employers that you can betray). The humour is there without being over the top and the Fallout atmosphere is rather well translated (reminded me of Mad Max which is certainly a good thing).

The only thing that failed to impress me so far is the music... Music in the first two Fallouts was just awesome.

As a hardcore Fallout fanatic I didn't think I would enjoy it that much but so far I'm just loving it!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.