1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Re-reading the Road to Gandolfo by robert Ludlum. It is incredibly, utterly funny. An ex-army general decides to kidnap the pope and hilatiry ensues :D

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Robert Kearney's "Monarchies of God", up to now they seem to be a forgotten gem. I have finished the first volume and enjoyed it a lot.

3. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

INTERESTING SERIES

Yesterday's Gone by sean platt is an interesting concept for a series book. The premise is it written as a serial story ala a soap opera. Each chapter involves a seperate group of characters within the context of an overall same story. H aven't finished the first book that is entitled Season One but is really interesting.
    Season Two book is out and Season Three is due out this month or next. Worth the read.:)

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Just finished The Furies of Calderon, by Jim Butcher. Pretty good book. I`d give it a 4 out of 6. Its the first of 6 books, so I will be starting book 2 shortly. Right now i am reading The Blade itself, by Joe Abercrombie. I am really liking this one, so far. I guess i will be jumping back and forth between Butcher and Abercrombie, for awhile.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Abercrombie is much much better than Butcher. Butcher started writing that fantasy series on a bet that he could combine pokemon and epic fantasy. I have read them all and although they are entertaining and decent reads you feel that they are crafted. They are the product of good craftmanship, not art. Hope you know what I mean.

Joe Abercrombie is much more interesting than Butcher.

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Now I want to re-read Dresden Files... the books may be rife with a LOT of problems, but the world they create is fascinating. And, Gentleman Johnny <3

Right now, I'm taking a break from reading "real" books to go on a comic book binge. Becaus,e, Avengers! I did just finish a few Jack Higgins books, though. dependable thrillers with excellent characterization and snark all over the place. I sort of blame the guy on being the reason I am in Ireland anyway...

7. joacqin

Media:
    Recently finished "Orb, Sceptre, Throne" by Ian C Esslemont. I read a less than stellar review from a critic I respect so my expectations were low but I found it to be on par with Stonewielder and Return of the Crimson Guard. Sure a bit confusing at times and lots of stuff going with very brief stops at each group of characters but isn't that what is characteristic of all Malazan books?

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I get what you mean joacquin. Abercrombie`s characters seems to have ALOt more depth to them. I am about 150 pages into his first book, and I am enjoying it alot. Allthough not much has really happened yet. slow start.

9. fastfritz Gems: 4/31

Finished a Heilein book I had missed

The Door into Summer by Robert A Heilein was found on Amazon Kindle books. Great story and really enjoyed it. Didn't know about this book but I'm glad I found it. Highly recommend this for the Heilein readers.:)

10. Ryginar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Rereading the Legacy of the Drow.

11. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I'm reading Girl's Guide to Witchcraft by Mindy Klasky. I was expecting fluff, but it's got some interesting twists so far. I particularly like how the main character does have some envy of her best friend, but it doesn't make her best friend evil or something. It's really realistic that way. Some other parts haven't been so realistic, but it's been an enjoyable read so far, and more than I expected from the title.

12. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    @ Reep and Topken - I read that series too. I've actually read a number of Piers Anthonys other series as well. Some of his old sci-fi was really good.

Currently I'm reading Dance, Gladys, Dance but Cassie Stocks. The really cool thing about it is that the author is a friend of mine. Also the book has a significant message and I guess it's kind of interesting that I'm reading it at this time of my life.

13. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Finished Girl's Guide to Witchcraft, and thankfully it was more chick lit than romance. I liked the ending. There were some easy outs the author could have taken and I'm glad she didn't take them. I also liked the way witchcraft worked in the book. All of this is to say that I've started the next book in the series, Sorcery and the Single Girl. I wish there was a little more mystery and a little less girliness -- I don't hate chick lit (as I said, I prefer it to romance), but I do prefer darker stories.

14. fastfritz Gems: 4/31

Human Chronicles Series By T R Harris

I'm about 1/2 the way thru the third book of The Human Chronicles and wanted to advise anyone looking for a good sci fi series that this worth the read. The first book of the series is Fringe Worlds and the second is Alien Assassins. The third is entitled War of Pawns. Well written, fast moving, creative ideas. One tip if you are going to read this series...read it on an e-book and download the whole series as one collective volume from amazon. I think the collective was $5.99, a real bargain for three books.:D

15. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Fastfritz - those do look good. I will have to look them up.

Finished the Witchcraft/Sorcery books by Mindy Klasky, then Fright Court, also by her, then Capitol Magic, also by Mindy Klasky, and now I'm reading her As You Wish series (just started the first book, How Not to Make a Wish). I'd call them pretty good, but not amazing, but the price is right, so I keep reading them.

Oh, and I also read Critique of Criminal Reason by Michael Gregorio, which was amazing! Great Sherlock Holmes-esque historical mystery. I loved the personal bits as well, as the main character's past keeps intruding. I'll definitely read more of his.

16. fastfritz Gems: 4/31

Update on The Human Chronicles series

Finished this series sometime back and highly recommend them. Good characters and interesting twists and turns. It keeps your interest through all three books.;)

17. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Due to my job, I'm now reading several books:
    Othello
    Teaching with Love and Logic
    Frankenstein
    The Odyssey
    The Crucible
    The Together Teacher

And I'm still reading the Mindy Klasky books for pleasure.

18. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    How do you have time for all this reading AND time to prepare for a class and time to write? You must be superwoman! :p

19. IvyTheGreat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This probably makes me a huge loser... but I really don't care.

When I was younger I found a huge box of Piers Anthony books in my attic and I loved them... Now a few years later I stumbled on the complete audio book collection of his Xanth series. I listen to them a work and still find them hilarious and entertaining.

Anyone else ever read Piers Anthony stuff??

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Many (many!) moons ago :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.