1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spyware...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Farthy, Mar 16, 2004.

1. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's more than that

The other major browsers block pop-up, support standards better and pay more attention to security. They also have some cool features that IE doesn't have, liked tabbed browsing, and in the case of firefox mouse gestures and stuff like that (never used them so don't know much about them)

If you've never had your homepage changed, crazy programs installed on your computer, and your regitry altered, you obviously don't look at the same dodgy sites I used to :D

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmmm, I haven't noticed any of the things you have mentioned. I suppose I should count myself lucky (by the sound of things).

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Microsoft hasn't stopped developing it, and there'll be a new version of it coming soon which will have pretty much everything mentioned here as lacking now. Just FYI.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yes, it comes when it comes, which is when Longhorn comes out :rolleyes: How many years until the next update, or will that new browser be even compatible with non-Longhorn OS? Besides, would you rather support a big, fat, money-grabbing corporation than a small, good, open-source development project? ;)

@ Metal Leaper

That is what I meant; getting old = not competitive with other browsers.

5. metal leper Gems: 5/31

Argh! my name is metal leper, not leaper! lol

Last I heard longhorn is supposed to be coming out in 2008, though I wouldn't be suprised if its been put back even further or will do again between now and then

I don't really have that much faith in anything made by MS anymore, and I doubt that their new browser would have much that would make me want to change from mozilla/opera/konqueror, even if it would run on XP

I do get some tracking cookies on my computer when I'm using firebird, which spybot detects and removes, but for some reason won't immunize me against [edit: have changed my firebird preferences so should be fine now]

Still, there's more chance of me convincing my parents to let me install linux on this computer than there is of me paying for a program to remove spyware, so spybot and the free ad-aware will have to do

[ March 19, 2004, 20:54: Message edited by: metal leper ]

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

IE is really good in sucking all kinds of malware ;)

Metal LEPER, you could always give a shot to Knoppix, once v3.4 comes out (should support new videocards then). It does not require installing -just make a bootable CD and vĂ´ila; Linux-On-RAM with all office/internet/game candies. :p

The best part is, when considering spyware, that once you reboot your machine, ALL malware is gone (due of being on RAM).

7. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    What i want to know is that if Gator is so bad, why does it come with GoZilla, the download manager??

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Because people who distribute it are very well paid. Hence, providing a "free" tool is only true at the first glance.

9. metal leper Gems: 5/31

As far as I can tell download accelerator plus installs spyware that isn't as bad as Gator, only problem is spybot won't remove it without you uninstalling DAP first (which removes most of it anyway)

As for knoppix - I have 3.3 and 3.2. 3.3 Won't use the usb ports on this computer though (my usb mouse lights up whilst knoppix is autoconfiguring my hardware, but goes off after). So I'd be without a printer, scanner and broadband modem if I used knoppix [edit: and my external hard drive and flash pen]

Still, this has gone a long way off topic, so I should probably stop trying to turn everyone against microsft now :D

[ March 20, 2004, 16:35: Message edited by: metal leper ]

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

And don't support certain plug-ins, integrated tools, etc.

I fail to see how the other major browsers pay more attention to security. And this "standards support" stuff is a bunch of crap. I have yet to have any page fail to load in IE 6.01. As long as you keep your browser updated, it doesn't really matter what you use.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

When it comes to freeware, all "support" is just a bunch of crap -and MS is no exeption. Have you thought, that maybe those "others" do not NEED plug-ins because the already have those tools integrated? Even so, there is certain plug-in projects going on for every browser -not just IE.

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Not legally they don't.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Name one tool that offers some function only to IE that, say; Mozilla doesn't have.

14. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

But I still want my music without having to remove all those blasted programs all the time. What other free music download sites are there that don't come with Gator or what not?

15. metal leper Gems: 5/31

click

That's just one example of stuff I found by searching on google for 2 minutes

Google something like "internet explorer html standards" (or replace html with web or just leave it out, probably other words would work too)

Also google "internet explorer secuity exploit" - you'll find 152,000 results. "Mozilla security exploit" only gives 19,000, although this isn't really a fair comparison since less people use Mozilla, but its still a reasonable fraction I imagine, and more mozilla users will be looking for bugs and reporting them is easier (in fact the first result google will give you will be about reporting security flaws)

I've not had any problems with plug ins on windows, had some trouble with firebird on linux, and some java things need you to be running windows for them to work, that's not a browser/plug-in problem though

16. Taluntain

Media:
    I doubt there are any. All these "free" programs operate on the premise that the return for providing the service is infestation and infiltration of your system. This, of course, is illegal, but then, so is downloading music without paying for it. iTunes sells music for 99 cents apiece, and is as clean as a whistle and has tons of excellent options for what you can do with the music in the program itself. If I ever got back into downloading music online, I'd go with iTunes.

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Or you can visit my page, take a look at the Linkage section, and pay a visit to that totally free Mp3 download site :rolleyes:

(Even though it has a download limit of 10 Mp3's per day ;) )

Rastor, I'm still waiting your answer. :D

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Do the Acrobat PDF macros work with Mozilla?

I have a Premium Napster account for free (well, sort of-my tuition pays for it), but they do have a totally free service that allows you to stream a limited number of songs per month. This is legal.

All sites that allow you to download burnable music for free are illegal, with the exception of private band sites.

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Yes, they work. At least my version (5.01 Full) works as fine as any. So, another shot?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.