1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does this game get better after Neverwinter?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by xerkzes witter, Aug 25, 2011.

1. xerkzes witter Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

right now id rate this game a 4/10 i mean theres just so many problems with it. the story had me interested at first and has seemed dull after that...

i geuss they just dont make nothing that compares to bg1 2 and icewinds, its a shame they had to go 3d and actually make the graphics and setup worse.

geuss im just telling u guys what you already know haha

is there any reason to keep playin nw2?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I enjoyed the game as well as Mask of the Betrayer.

3. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    A number of people said they like MotB more than the original game so you may find that you like that.

I would like to play it myself but haven't bought it yet because I've got other issues on my mind and money as well as the fact the expansion hasn't come out for the computer I'd play it on.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I enjoyed the game overall. This is a very subjective, personal topic. Perhaps if you shared what you are not liking about it people can tell you whether later chapters might be more to your liking.

I can say that chapter 1 is the longest, and much of it does not directly relate to the main plot. Asssuming you help the city watch (as I always do), you spend a lot of time making the otherwise incompetent (as far as I can tell) Captain Brelaina look good, while cleaning up some of the thug and thieving activities in the city.

Chapter 2 and 3 pick up the pace a good deal.

But it's hard to answer your question, as you've not provided any details about what you like and don't like about the game.

5. xerkzes witter Gems: 1/31

lol i was spoiled by the baldurs gate,icewind dale and planescape...

i hate the camera for one
    all the damn bugs i find...ive had so many already!
    so far your prolly right i havent given it enough time to progress but i dont care much about the story or characters so far but i was like that in the other games at first to i geuss

i dunno... well im gunna have a few dragons breathe brews and try to get moire thru the city hehe

i wish someone would take the baldurs gate 2 engine and just keep making games...this would be epic

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I tried to like nwn2. Trie for a long time too, but in my opinion its a very mediocre game.

7. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IMO the NWN2 OC is poorly made, story is decent but execution is poor-average. MotB is on level with IWD and BG though, and Storm of Zehir was decent.

8. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    NWN2 OC was a drag.
    Although, it really tried to deliver, it tried so on to many fronts. It needed to be more compressed.
    And didn't have the D&D feel to it. For onec, the art-direction was soo off for that setting!

Mask of the Betrayer was great. And really felt like and D&D adventure. Cool setting and well executed story.

Have yet to play Storm of Zehir, didn't play far. Or Mysteries of Westgate.

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Storm of Zehir reminded me of Sid Meier`s Pirates. But instead of sailing about in the caribbean, i walked around on the sword coast attacking "enemy ships" and trading goods.

10. Lorfean Gems: 1/31

This might be much too late to have any impact... but I have had NWN2 and its expansions for years (I bought the game on release day and got both expansions as Christmas gifts a few years later) and I only recently managed to really get into it and enjoy it. Sure, I've played bits and pieces here and there over the years, but it never "felt right" and, especially the first couple of years after its release, there were a LOT of technical issues, some of which made the game unplayable for me.

I am an old school Infinity Engine fan as well -- I love those games, and they will always rank amongst my absolute favorite games of all time -- but I think I'd be doing myself a disservice if I were to dismiss modern day RPG's because their gameplay and atmosphere don't match the nostalgia-inducing greats from my teenage years. I really, really wanted to give NWN2 a chance. Because I feel that, in its current state, after two expansions and several great patches, it is an incredibly impressive D&D package.

So here's what I did:
    • I (obviously) installed the game, both expansions, and updated to the final patch version.
    • I picked "Exploration Mode" as my camera mode of choice and adjusted scrolling speed settings, etc. to my liking. I disabled the "Scroll/Turn Camera on Mouse Hitting Edge of Screen" settings, set Camera Focus to "Directly on Controlled Character", and then edited the keybinds so that I'd be able to pan and rotate the camera using the WASD keys and select my entire group by pressing the = key. These small changes made a huge impact on my enjoyment of the game -- mouse camera controls are wacky in NWN2, and these settings allowed me to limit the mouse's involvement with the camera to only one thing: zooming (which I set to the lowest possible speed for increased accuracy and control).
    • I set the difficulty to D&D Hardcore rules, turned party AI completely off, and then adjusted the Monster settings of Tony K's AI mod to my liking, allowing enemies to open doors, wander around looking for me, use items, buff themselves, etc. for added challenge and an experience more similar to the Infinity Engine titles. And that's how I play the game as well, now -- like an IE game -- with lots of manual pausing, switching between characters and giving orders.

And I'm really enjoying myself. I started this game a few weeks ago, and feel like I am nearing the end of Chapter 1 of the OC, which isn't brilliant (so far) but definitely enjoyable. Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir are up after the OC, and I'm excited about playing both -- MoTB because it's received a LOT of praise from old school RPG fans, and SoZ because I love the concept of that expansion and I really like creating my own party :-)

Nizidramanii'yt likes this.
  11. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I'd like to know as well. Bought the game long ago, finally gave it a spin (after waiting years because it was supposed to be average) a few months ago but I came out looking very disappointed. I could've settled with just NWN1 with minor additions and a new storyline, but instead it just looked like an even crappier version of NWN1 on ALL LEVELS, with an even more boring storyline. How can you make a game even worse? It happened with KOTOR2, NWN2, Dragon Age 2. How can it happen to all 3 at once... :mad: (ow wait...)

After just an hour (it took 3 startups in one month to finish the first frickin' hour) I gave up on it. Such a shame. It's rumored to become much better after the first city, but I just can't take it anymore. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.