1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How does music affect your moods

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Dice, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I listen to an eclectic mass of rhythms and sounds. Obviously music is a mood enhancer. When I am sad or contemplative I will listen to Leonard Cohen and Cat Stevens, when I'm in a good mood I listen to Peter Gabriel, Harry Belafonte, or somewhere in between those styles. When I'm walking and thinking about how I need to fight my demons I listen to Kid Rock, or Molotov or Calle 13. I can listen to Tom Waits with any of those moods but that is just because he fascinates me.

So does your mood affect your listening choices? Do tell.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh yeah, definitely it does. Surely it is scientifically provable in some way, that music does influence mood.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
  4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They work both ways. When you're sad, it's good to listen to melancholic music to create an outlet. When you're done with it, you've created "space" in your mind to let other moods in, which is a good time to play something happier.

When I'm sad, I tend to listen to Jeff Buckley, Ane Brun, Agnes Obel and others. After that I tend to get into my "laid back modus" (mostly lounge and triphop, like Morcheeba, Tosca, Lamb and Thievery Corporation) or regular mood (70s R&B, soul, jazz). When happy/active: old skool hiphop (DeLa Soul, Tribe called Quest), funk, drum & bass and some older dance charts like Deee-Lite's "Groove is in the heart" or Fatboy's remix of "Brimful of Asha".

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Music affects me big time. So much so that my wife gets pissed at me. But I say that's why God created music -- to move our souls and aggravate our spouses!

8people likes this.
  6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: Drum-ROFL

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Music makes me feel better, mostly. Some bands and singers just annoy me and make me rather annoyed, like Elton John.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Yes, yes it does. see also: the amount of Cure I listen to when having relationship trouble. *sigh*

9. Dice

Media:
    This is the song I'm listening to today. It would be a good one to learn how to sing because its melodic.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  10. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Music not so much. Books are far worse. Odd, I know.

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'd say it's rather the other way around. What mood I'm in affects what music I listen to.

Although there is a general trend that listening to music I like makes me more relaxed and it can serve as an outlet if I'm feeling pissed off, like MoN (actually, MoN doesn't look right, I think it should be more like Mo' Nuhn ;)) suggests. Conversely, listening to music I really don't like can piss me off immensly too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh yeah. If I hear a Beyonce song, I get very annoyed. Especially if it's that Single Ladies (put a ring on it) one.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Katie Malua's My Aphrodisiac is You always makes me feel . . . . amorous.

When I'm in a bad mood, there's nothing like a Family Guy song to cheer me up. Stewie's version of I've got a Little List (from the Mikado) is right up there, as well as the FCC Song and Peter's campfire song Sodomy, inspired by Brokeback Mountain.

Most rap songs and speed/thrash/death/acid/whatever weird adjective you want to put in front of it Metal music makes me pissed off, and I usually change the station or turn off the music. The same thing goes for bubble gum feces like Beyonce, Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, Celine Dion (AKA Canada's Shame), anything done by the cast of Glee, anything done by an American Idol douche, and lame 70s music (ie: I've got you babe)

Some rousing Classical music always invigorates me.

The Alan Parsons Project always mellows me out, as do Billy Joel, Supertramp, Van Halen, Def Leppard and the other bands of my youth. Even if they are fast, wild songs, they remind me of when times were a heckuva lot simpler, and make me melancholy yet happy at the same time.

14. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Happy melancholia ... that's an interesting notion.

Environment affects my listening choices. At night I listen to 'night time' music (subtextually creepy or a little dissonant or even kind of crazy - because night is the communal pre-rational crazy time), on rainy days sad music, on sunny days generally reflective or nostalgic music. Very rarely conventionally 'happy' music, unless it's just coming at me through the radio.

15. Dice

Media:
    OK - THAT SONG ^ is the one and only song that drives me insanely up the wall and makes me want to run screaming to the bathroom to empty the contents of my stomach. Really. I cannot listen to 70's radio stations because they like to throw that one in over and over. I cannot stress enough how much I DESPISE WITH A PASSION that song. Even thinking about it makes me quiver.... o.k. my knuckles are white, I can let go of the keyboard now...breath Dice breath .... end rant.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.