1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to get back into Candlekeep?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Cog Primius, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Cog Primius Guest

[​IMG] i have a problem and it is big...

what do you need to go back to candlekeep after you have been in baldurs gate

and where do you find a evil mage aceppt edwin

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

To re-enter Candlekeep, you will need a valuable book to donate to the library. You will receive this from Duke Eltan after finishing his quests and Scar's quests. (IIRC they are: Investigate the Seven Suns trading coster; Investigate the town sewers; investigate the Iron Throne building).

You find Edwin in Naskel. He is standing on the bridge, around the central area of the map IIRC.

3. Cog Primius Guest

first: i dont want edwin couse he is dead
    second: what do i have to do in the iron throne building i have killed every enemy in there

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

OK, sorry, I misread the question. The only other evil mage in the game is Xzar. He is found on the roadside in the area east of Candlekeep. For more information on BG1 NPCs, go here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/npcs.php .

On the top floor of the Iron Throne building, there is a group of people who attack you. On one of their bodies, you should find some incriminating letters. They may also be in on of he cabinets on that floor, I can't quite remember. Once you have these, it should go onto Chapter 6. Take these to Duke Eltan, and you will get the book.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

A good mage is Xan. He is Neutral but very has a very bad mood (we all gonna die :) etc. ) He can be found in Nashkel Mines, in the room near Mulaheys room.

On the fifth floor of the Iron Throne building you have a very hard fight with 7 guys. When you killed them all, you will find Thaldorn, onme of the Iron Throne leaders. Force him to talk, and he will tell you that he and Rieltar and othet leaders will have an important meeting in Candlekeep. Yuo journey will be updated. Kill Thaldorn and go to Eltan, on the second floor of the Flaming Fist Headquarter and he will give you the book.

6. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] Xzar is a Chaotic Evil Necromancer and he is on the map where you start after Gorion was killed (East of Candlekeep). If you dont want his Halfling friend (CE Fighter/Thief), just kill him.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Xzar isn't a great mage in my humble opinion. And for Neutral characters also fit excellent in an evil Party, I would recommend Xan. He has a Moonblade, that lowers his AC by one, gives him 50 percent fire resistance, it is a small swords that does 1d8 damage... so that ain't bad huh?! Take him in your party, you will not regret!

8. Cog Primius Guest

[​IMG] my game must be messed up couse i didnt met thaldorn
    my other problem is that my party is on level 5,6,7 and they where only on 2,4 when i left them
    i also have an neutral mage: Quayle couse he is good
    im still on chapter 5

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

The level your part is at is nromal for this stage of the game. You have to accept the quest from Scar and Eltan to investigate the Iron Throne first I think. First you get the quest to investigate the Seven Suns building, after completing that one you'll get another quest. Investigae the Iron Throne Building now and kill the large party on the 5th floor, there you can get all information you need, there you'll get to now my Thaldorn or by a letter on a body that there is a meeting in Candlekeep. Tell this to Elthan and he will give you permission to go to Candlekeep, he'll give you a book you need.

Btw, you get this quest later in the game. You can't enter Candlekeep by just going to that place and trying to enter, the only way to get into Candlekeep is to complete the quests in the city first.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited October 26, 2001).]

10. Crawl Gems: 23/31

I believe his problem with his parties experience level isn't that he has that much exp, but that when he found and I suppose booted Xzar and/or Xan, his group was only at level 2-4. Don't let this worry you. Sure, they are at very low levels compared with the rest of your group, and often this keeps players from picking up NPCs. The best way to handle this, if you want them up to your parties expereince level, is: 1) cheat or 2) fight.

Personally, I'd say just cheat. It will save you valuable time and bordom be just downloading Gatekeeper and adjusting Xan's or Xzar's experience points up to that of the rest of your party. It's simple and easy and the program can be found on this site under the Baldur's Gate section (under editors, hacks, cheats section I assume).

If for whatever reason you don't feel this is the way for you, take them into your party anyway. Then travel either to the Wryven Cave in Cloakwood Forest or the Golem Cave on the Lighthouse Map. Enter the cave and dismiss the rest of your party except yourself (of course) and the character you want to gain the experience points (lining up your party members before you dismiss them to form a defensive wall can really be a useful tactic-monsters won't attack characters not currently in your party, so no harm is done). Then just rest and keep killing either Wryvens or Golems until either Xzar or Xan has made it up to or past your party's experience level.

By the way, while Xzar isn't as good of a mage as Xan, I really like his style. He just fits so well into an evil party, and some of his dialog is just priceless.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited October 27, 2001).]

11. MD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] If you have got a book from him in the flaming fist HQ you can give the guard outside of candlekeep the book and get entrance to candlekeep :). You can find Edwin on the bridge in Nashkel and Xzar just outside of candlekeep. But you are very stupid if you dont have found Xzar and Monty :grin: :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.