1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon selection

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sir Rechet, May 6, 2012.

1. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I agree with T2B on the Silver Sword. Once I get it, I tend to use it all the time, with occasional use for Lilarcor for when I expect danger to be charmed. In terms of vorpal hitting, it's much better than even the Ravager or the Axe of the Unyielding. If it was more than a +3 weapon, I'd probably use it in favour of other weapons in ToB.

2. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Silver sword IS powerful, I never contested that. But just as much as it is powerful, it's outright dangerous to yourself if the character wielding it gets charmed and starts whaling at your own party. You don't have that problem with Lilarcor. Sure you can use Chaotic Command and its cousins but having them active 24/7 is no small feat. :)

Oh, my bad about Angurvadal - you can actually get the unimproved version rather early and it's already +4, where as many other top weapons are only +3 when found first. However, I do have issues with many of the specialty long swords in SoA being only +2 in enchantment. They're absolutely great in their own niche, but in generic damage dealing they're mediocre at best.

Anyway, back to my original point. It's been proven, time after time during the last decade, that it's rather pointless debating which weapon/style combo is the "best" without going into the specifics. So, I'm after YOUR personal 'fits like a glove' matches between the proficiency efficiency, weapon availability in that category, the timing when you can actually get the weapon(s) in question and last but not least, the overall ownage level of the said weapon(s) as compared to any other choice.

And in the specific case of a good-aligned F/M/T dualwielder, there is a ton of worse choices than going dual scimitar, especially if you have unnerfed mastery AND multiclass mastery mods installed. F/M/T gets so very few proficiency points (only one every 2,250,000 experience points after the easy initial ones) that any sidetracking is costly business. There are absolutely GREAT scimitars available very early in both BG1 and BG2 and you only need to reach level 9 in Fighter to get to GM, while level 12 completes the build with the last pip in dualwielding. :)

Using the standard rules, a ranger can dual-wield two different weapons effectively starting at level one. However, there's pretty much nothing he can do with the remaining 10+ points during the game to further increase his overall performance. Sure, being flexible is a bonus, but isn't that exactly what you plan ahead for when deciding who is going to be in your party this time? :)

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I thought the 25% chance was only on a critical, maybe I misread it or misremembered it (I've had this game since 2003). Hmm, the sword is worth a second look then if does have a chance to outright kill the opponent 1 time in four.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.