Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > News Forums > Game/SP News & Comments > Archived News Forums > Dragon Age Official Forum Highlights & Comments

Notices

Dragon Age Official Forum Highlights & Comments For select forum posts by the game developers collected from the official Dragon Age forums, as well as comments on them. All the news items posted here also appear on the DA official forum news page of Sorcerer's Place.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Mon, 9th Jul '07, 8:02pm   #1
chevalier Points (Total)
SPS Account Holder
Senior News Editor

Like: 3
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 62,849
Level: 62
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryEverybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a Crowd
chevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nice

Here are today's Dragon Age forum highlights, taken from the Dragon Age Official Forum. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

David Gaider, Lead Writer

'Age' in Dragon Age

If DA covered a period where your character could actually age, we might consider having effects appropriate to aging. It doesn't. It also specifically starts you off at 1st level, which indicates someone at the beginning of their career and therefore "relatively young" as I said.

I suppose we could create a specific background where a character is older and yet somehow still only 1st level, if we really wanted to. We don't. We had to cut down on the number of backgrounds we had planned anyhow, and I'm not sure how much appeal an "older" background would have to start with.

more:

I don't think Gandalf -- or Einstein, for that matter -- could really be considered Level 1 by any measure. Certainly we do have old characters in Dragon Age, it's not as if age doesn't exist, and high-level characters are very likely to be veterans in every sense of the word.

It's simply that the player character doesn't start there, and the in-game time span won't let the player character get there.

And I really think that's all that needs to be said.

more:

actually, it makes MORE sense Gromnir's way. you level very fast in a crpg... any crpg. how to explain? older vet who has let himself/herself go and is out of practice has to get up to speed quick to survive... would explain the preternatural skill progression of the average crpg pc.

There's nothing wrong with a story like that. It's certainly a story that could be told in that way, sure. Remember that we not only have a Level 1 character, however, we also have a character (read: player) that doesn't know a great deal about the world.

Maybe in the future when we can expect players to know a little more about the setting, or when we're not worried about just covering the basic archetypes for the origin stories we might decide to get a little more adventurous and visit the "over the hill adventurer". As it is, it's not a theme I'm dying to rush out and write. It practically screams niche.
chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote