Donations
GOG.com
Sorcerer's Place Home | Chatrooms | BoM Rules & FAQ
Sorcerer's Place Stores: Games, Books, DVDs, Merchandise
(buying via these links & our affiliated stores below helps support the site - thanks!)

Have you liked us yet?
Sorcerer's Place on Facebook

Boards o' Magick BoM Blogs!

Go Back   Boards o' Magick > News Forums > Game/SP News & Comments > Archived News Forums > Dragon Age Official Forum Highlights & Comments

Notices

Dragon Age Official Forum Highlights & Comments For select forum posts by the game developers collected from the official Dragon Age forums, as well as comments on them. All the news items posted here also appear on the DA official forum news page of Sorcerer's Place.

PLEASE SUPPORT SORCERER'S PLACE BY BUYING FROM OUR NEW SHOP!

Old Sun, 11th Nov '07, 3:11pm   #1
chevalier Points (Total)
SPS Account Holder
Senior News Editor

Like: 3
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 62,843
Level: 62
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryEverybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a Crowd
chevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nice
Default Dragon Age Forum News III (Nov. 11, 07)

Mary Kirby, Writer

Degrees of graphic sex in DA

Honestly, even animating disrobing is a huge investment. Clothing would have to move and crinkle in ways it doesn't have to for anything else. And it would be harder to animate well for a cutscene because the player might very well be wearing anything from a mage's robe to heavy plate. There's generally a reason why when you equip new armor, you don't see your character take off the old stuff and pull on his or her new clothes.

more:

Mass Effect does not have different playable races. You are always human. So they didn't have to make those same sex scenes over and over with different animations to account for the player being a Turian or an Asari. Dragon Age's romances are not restricted by race. You could very well be a dwarf romancing a human, or a human romancing that same character.
chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 8th Dec '07, 12:03am   #2
Merlanni
SPS Account Holder

Like: 31
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 5,348
Level: 22
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Merlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the rough

That explains the half naked female fighters in games.
Merlanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, 8th Dec '07, 1:30am   #3
Trellheim
The Dreadful Bear

Like: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 3,379
Level: 18
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Happy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
Trellheim has a spectacular aura aboutTrellheim has a spectacular aura about

Is game sex really that necessary to many people?
Trellheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 10th Dec '07, 8:27pm   #4
chevalier Points (Total)
SPS Account Holder
Senior News Editor

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryEverybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveThree's a Crowd
chevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nicechevalier is just really nice

That's how it looks from the discussions on the boards. People indeed ask about such things and I've seen way more than that. It's embarrassing sometimes. One would think the discussion would be about weapons, monsters, quests, something like that. And then no, people have to ask for actual nudity, sex close-ups and the like.
Old Sun, 16th Dec '07, 2:29am   #5
Marceror Points for Thread Ratings Given
SPS Account Holder
Editor
Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps

Like: 30
Liked 110 Times in 88 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 6,165
Level: 24
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Three's a CrowdI'm Not Alone!Posting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Marceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud ofMarceror has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier View Post
That's how it looks from the discussions on the boards. People indeed ask about such things and I've seen way more than that. It's embarrassing sometimes. One would think the discussion would be about weapons, monsters, quests, something like that. And then no, people have to ask for actual nudity, sex close-ups and the like.
You know, there's already an entire industry devoted to that. I'm not sure why it's needed in CRPGs. At any rate, I certainly hope the dev team isn't spending a lot of its time on trivial, unnecessary stuff like this.
Marceror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, 16th Dec '07, 2:33pm   #6
chevalier Points (Total)
SPS Account Holder
Senior News Editor

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

Yup. I suppose certain decisions in the area of design may have been a result of that pressure, but I defnitely don't think they're going to cave in and do anything that could prevent their games from rating as Teen - after all, that's the primary target audience of their games.

As for your question, well, developers do reply in those threads and sometimes it takes a while. I'd rather they could focus on something else, but it's their choice what they reply to and what they discuss, so I guess it's not such a horrible weight on them.
Old Sun, 16th Dec '07, 10:06pm   #7
Merlanni
SPS Account Holder

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Posting GodNew DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!
Awards New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!
Merlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the roughMerlanni is a jewel in the rough

No. game sex is silly. Romancing is good, any which way as real as life, but pure sex and naked or barely clothed females are the bad type of eye candy. The whitcher just stepped over the edge, making it a quest to get laid, I mean gather the cards for, o well whatever. Perhaps one day some idiot gives xp for it.

Good gamemakers place it in games on the right moment. A slave dancing girl at the feet of the crime boss, a funny questsituation like no cltohes after a swimm, that kind of things. I know Bioware will not make that mistake and deliver it in the correct way resulting to a teen rating. No worries for me.

If you really want to stare at nudity in games use mods. like sex and the single adventuress for NWN(That was funny), the one for Aribeth, or the clothing mods for KotOr2.
Old Sun, 16th Dec '07, 11:20pm   #8
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 271
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 53,972
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryThe Popular One
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future

Quote:
I know Bioware will not make that mistake and deliver it in the correct way resulting to a teen rating.
Khm... I'm guessing you haven't heard about the alien lesbian sex scene in Mass Effect...

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, 17th Dec '07, 10:06pm   #9
Merlanni
SPS Account Holder

vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

No. So not teen rating for mass effect?
Old Mon, 17th Dec '07, 10:44pm   #10
Taluntain Points for Posts
SPS Account Holder
Founder
Resident Alpha and Omega

Like: 271
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 53,972
Level: 58
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements Wanna ShareJunior BloggerBlogbieNew DeliveryThe Popular One
Awards Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Torment: Tides of Numenera!New Server Contributor (2012) - For helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!Project Eternity SP Immortalizer - For helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in Project Eternity!
Taluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant futureTaluntain has a brilliant future

Yup. It's M for mature.

Join the Sorcerer's Place page!
Taluntain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, 18th Dec '07, 9:47pm   #11
chevalier Points (Total)
SPS Account Holder
Senior News Editor

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
vBActivity - Bars

That scene... I know the problem and I still wonder.
Old Thu, 27th Dec '07, 9:07pm   #12
Chandos the Red Points for Reputation (Given)
This Wheel's on Fire

Like: 6
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
vBActivity - Stats
XP: 21,263
Level: 40
vBActivity - Bars
Achievements New DeliveryHappy Anniversary!BoM ExperiencedI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
Chandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond reputeChandos the Red has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's M for mature.
Look on the bright side: It could have been rated for the immature....
Chandos the Red is offline   Reply With Quote