1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with a clean install of ToB + these mods!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Please help me install these in the correct order:

SoA & ToB

SCSII

Banter Pack

Level 1 NPCs

...and whatever else I need to get the following options:

1)a clean, bug free game.
    2)unlimited stacking of ammo, potions, gems

What fixpacks & tweakpacks are recommended?

What other mods are really good and can be used without a problem here?

Note: I may also want the mod that allows a Barbarian to dual class. I'm not sure yet. Please let me know where to get that and where it gets installed.

TIA

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    First off, read each mod's readme for installation instructions. In the absence of instructions on ordering, here's the general order:

Install these first (in order):
    SOA
    TOB
    Official Patch
    Baldurdash or G3's BG2 Fixpack (I prefer the latter).

SCS II should be installed last.
    BG2 Tweak Pack should be second last.
    Level One NPC's should be installed after any mod which adds kits, so that the Level One mod will recognize them.

All other mods should be installed somewhere in between. Order isn't really important, although I think older mods should be installed sooner in the process (or is that later? Hopefully someone else can help out.)

If you have non-Weidu mods, it used to be that they were to be installed after Baldurdash and before Weidu mods; In not sure where they fit in now with the G3 Fixpack.

Sidenote: Tal, if someone comes up with a concise install order, do you think it would make sense to stcky it?

Klorox likes this.
  3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Certainly... do you want to do the honours?

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, it might make more sense coming from someone who actually knows what they're talking about (such as someone who actually writes mods), but what the heck - sure, I'll create a new thread as soon as I get confirmation from one of the modding guru's that I'm right (or, if I'm wrong, what corrections need to be made).

There's also a thread at G3 that cmorgan wrote for a tutu install that I'll link to in the new thread.

5. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Solaufein should be installed among the first NPC mods.
    (Reasoning: many mods react to him, from Sola's flirt pack to Kelsey to Flirt Pack).

Same goes for Ascension - among the first mods.

Same goes for Ease of Use - it overwrites basic files, so it should be installed among the first mods or not installed at all - BG2 Tweaks do the job.

The Longer Road should be installed after all NPC and NPC-related mods(including Turnabout).
    (Reasoning: they include incompatible code which overwrites all mod-added epilogues otherwise).

Quest Pack should be installed after Keto and Kelsey. Keto should be installed AFTER Kelsey.
    (Reasoning: crossmod content between these mods)

Crossmod Banter Pack should be installed after all NPC mods.

The Flirt Pack should be installed after all NPC and NPC-related mods.
    (Reasoning: some NPC mod authors forget to add weights to their banters, which is why there might be a conflict otherwise).

Most NPC mods and NPC-related mods (Tashia, Kivan, Amber, Xan, Sarah, Romantic Encounters) can be installed in any order unless mentioned otherwise.

EDIT: Edwin Romance overwrites Edwin's dream script, so it should be installed among the first mods, too. His flirt pack should be installed together with the Flirt Pack from PPG, though.

"Small" quest-related mods(Unfinished Business for BG2, Tower of Deception, Assassinations, Dungeon Crawl, G3 Anniversary) can be installed in any order, unless mentioned otherwise.

Rogue Rebalancing has its own Compatiblity Guide at Studios.

I'll post again if I remember something.

6. aVENGER Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In general, Rogue Rebalancing should be placed very late in the install order i.e. right before BG2 Tweaks and SCSII unless you are using one of the mods which were specifically designed to go after Rogue Rebalancing (i.e. Refinements and Virtue).

The Rogue Rebalancing Compatibility Guide contains detailed information on the interoperability between Rogue Rebalancing and other mods as well as a recommended install order.

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

So, will this make for a clean, stable install?:

SoA, ToB, ToB patch
    Fixpack
    DeArnise Romance
    Banter Pack
    Level 1 NPC
    Tweak Pack
    SCSII

8. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Regarding SCS2: you'll have to perouse the board at G3, I'm fairly certain that some troubles may arise. Otherwise wait for a more correct answer from David W.

9. Splunge

Media:
    Thanks to all for your input.

Obviously this is a bit more complicated than I thought it was going to be.

So, the over-riding factor is RTFM.

I guess I'm looking for more general guidelines - new vs old, tweaks vs fixes, etc.

So as an alternative to listing an install order for every single mod in existence, are there some general rules that should be followed?

10. Shaitan

I'd say:

Fixpack
    Items
    NPCs
    NPC related mods
    Quest mods
    Tweaks
    Refinements/Virtue

11. -David_W- Gems: 3/31

It looks fine to me actually.

SCSII basically needs to be installed last, or as close to last as you can manage. It's compatible with everything on that list. (The only current incompatibility with "small" mods that I know of is with the Revised Hell Trials
    component of Quest Pack.)

12. cmorgan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

BG2 is tougher than Tutu to establish, and can be version dependent - not as tough as a Mega install with BGT (SHS is the primary home of these) but still tough. It is made tougher by the wide variety and availability of older mods which may not have been built with compatibility in mind.

In general, if a mod is shipping with WeiDU v185 or below, it is probaby better to research much more carefully - and triple check every forum you can find.

Ease of Use is completely obsolete and should be replaced by the BG2 TweakPack.

[*in my opinion* based on numerous installs and research, Baldurdash and the Baldurdash GTU are obsolete unless you want to use a small minority of mods which specifically insist on their use - for both BGT and BG2 installs, BG2 Fixpack replaces this. If folks are worried about stuff, just don't install the "BETA FIXES" component - this is NOT a point of contention or another argument to start - I am simply posting my personal opinion, nothing more]

Just tested, and aVENGER's new version works great late in the order;

suggest a final "block" of

Banter Pack
    Flirt Pack
    Crossmod banter
    Rogue Rebalancing
    Ashes of Embers
    Divine Remix
    Level 1 NPCs
    BG2 Tweaks
    SCSII

Virtue is a completely different matter. Better let SimDing0 give some advice. It is supposed to be absolutely last, dead last in the order - but it probably needs some investigation for optimal positioning with the newer mods from him.

13. Splunge

Media:
    OK, so maybe a sticky with general rules for an install order isn't such a great idea. I thought that, generally, fixes go first, tweaks and mods which change rules or behaviour go last, and everthing else goes in the middle, but it looks like are too many exceptions. Basically, let the readme's be your guide.

14. aVENGER Gems: 3/31

I'm not 100% sure whether the spell changes from Divine Remix account for Detectable Spells, so it's probably better to install Divine Remix before Rogue Rebalancing. DavidW can probably clarify this further.

15. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

Even if they do, they may not account for the latest iteration of that...

better to be safe than sorry. Looks like a check on AoE and DR, too, or we may have one of those "install order quandries"...

so reordering -

other mods

Banter Pack
    Flirt Pack
    Crossmod banter
    Divine Remix
    Rogue Rebalancing
    Ashes of Embers
    Level 1 NPCs
    BG2 Tweaks
    SCSII

16. Shaitan

Does anyone use the Kits from AoE? If not then B!Tweaks do the job nicely.

17. Splunge

Media:
    OK, so I think I've got the install order figured out.

It's "Aye" before "Eeeeee!" except after "See?..."

18. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

19. Shaitan

:-D

20. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[This is also NOT a point of contention or for an argument to start, just my (and others' who share it but that's another matter) opinion: "BETA FIXES" isn't the only component that can break your install if you install G3 Fixpack. Research of several skilled modders proved that G3 Fixpack has incorrect software design in many aspects, which may result in serious errors in certain cases. If folks are worried about stuff, they should be careful when choosing their installations -- my personal opinion, nothing more.]

Generally, a "recommended install order" is indeed not a good idea. Not because of fixpacks or anything such, rather because of the current situation of IE mods. That is, there are very many different mods, no real standards, so the best is to visit a particular mod's site, read its readme and updates, and use its own recommended install order. Of course, some general template can be used in most cases, such as the known "game + official patch + nonweidu + weidu", of course this is often extended with the position of the given fixpack in the installation order etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.